Big Trouble With Gear Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Trouble With Gear Install

I am repeating from what I was told by the guy who is installing my gears. The bearings in the rear differential were shot to hell. Luckily, we expected them to be worn out. The bad news is that something inside the differential is 40,000th off...which is apparently alot...and it has torn up those bearings and made the carrier lock up. The good news is that it's all replaceable for cheap. The bad news is that if I can't get a part of the interior housing redone then i'll have to buy a new housing. I don't know how much they run, but I can tell you that half shafts+leaf springs=over 2 grand installed. Housing seems more intricate than those...
My installer is going to try to grind down a larger part to see if it would fit...if not, its another housing...
(The guy doing the install no longer works for a shop, so I know he wouldn't just be pulling my leg to get more $)...
My installer's purdy good at this stuff, but I wanna know why this would be happening. Or what exactly IS happening?

Anybody have a clue?

BTW, GO TEXANS...

Old 08-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem, to clear it up, was a broken end cap that was 40,000 off (a lot for that type thing...20x the max amount of error there should have been), and was actually tearing into the bearings...the bearings has actual pieces of metal missing from them (not good).

The reason i might have had to replace the carrier is because we didn't know of where to find plain old end caps on a sunday, and i needed the truck on monday (HAD TO HAVE-type thing). We were lucky and found 4 end caps laying around and one fit with a little grinding on the exterior of the cap.

The problem caused a 3 hour delay in the install process, but has had NO negative effects on the final product.

Anyways, just thought i'd clear up what i didn't understand earlier...gears are in and doin great

Quick Reply: Big Trouble With Gear Install