A really silly question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A really silly question

I have 2 cans of Fix A Flat - the "new" exlosion proof kind. I was reading the can & it says for 15" tires. I have 17"! Can I use it anyhow? Does that mean it won't be enough & therefore won't work? I've looked at other brands & they don't even list a tire size. Any ideas on this? I'd appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!

Old 12-21-2001, 08:07 AM
i dont see why it wouldnt work. it seems odd they even put that on there. even though it would not seem like the same amount in a bigger tire it should still cover. all it does is fill in holes and line the inside. me personally i hate the stuff, thats because i do my own tire work in my buddys shop. that stuff makes a gooy mess in a tire. but if that is the way you wanna go instead of changing the tire. hey thats your option. thats just my spill

Old 12-21-2001, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Don't do it!!!!

Fix a flat is ok to use for lawnmowers, atv's and what not, but do NOT use it on a road driven vehicle. I've heard that it fills in the tire like its supposed to, but at the same time, it takes the wheel/tire out of balance, and then you start to have vibration problems. Spend an extra $2 than you would for the can of fix a flat and get your tire plugged.

Old 12-22-2001, 12:11 AM
Thanks!

I just wanted something to carry in the truck in case of a flat when I'm not able to get help. With my back I'd never be able to change the tire myself. Since I don't have the "luxury" of being able to call someone other that AAA I thought I'd keep these in the truck. Guess I'll find a better solution! Thanks for the help!

Old 12-22-2001, 09:36 AM
That stuff is working thus far in my wheelbarrow and lawn tractor -- and yup, there's a can in wifie's minivan 'just in case'.

CL: It makes sense that the mfr of your can-o-air simply doesn't think there's enough of it contained therein to fully inflate a larger-than-normal (whatever that is nowadays) 17 inch tire.

In an emergency, even an under-inflated tire is better than a flat one, so toss the can in the milk crate in the bed and relax.

Old 12-22-2001, 10:29 AM
If you're worried that one can won't fill your tires you could always get 2, but I think a better solution is to buy a small 12 volt air compressor. That will inflate a flat caused by a slow leak so you can drive it somewhere to have it repaired. You can also get plug kits at any auto parts store. I have even seen compressors and a small air tank mounted under the hood on 4 x 4's with a coiled "stretch" hose for those who drive a lot in sand and need to raise and lower their pressures. Hope this helps!

Old 12-23-2001, 01:51 AM
Thanks!

I truly appreciate the help guys! Here's my plan - I'll carry the cans till I can get a compressor! As I said - I only have AAA to count on since my Dad passed away so I'd just like to be as prepared as possible - just in case. Living in Buffalo is brutal on tires - I found out that ICE can slit a tire like a knife would! Who woulda thunk it? LOL! We always have plenty of that so I'm just being cautious. Thanks again!

Old 12-23-2001, 03:54 AM
Good ideas...

Carrying a can of fix-a-flat is not a bad idea.

A small air compressor sounds like a good idea.

A cellular phone and emergency road service like AAA is a great idea.

Just a note...I have plugged many flat tires over the years with no problems, but the boys in the shop tell me that this practice is now considered unsafe and they won't do it any more. They say flat tires should be patched from the inside.

May you never ever have a flat tire.

-- Roundboy

Old 12-23-2001, 12:33 PM
Of the dozens of *punctured* tires that I've repaired in an earlier life, the ones that seemed the best were where a rubber plug is chemically vulcanized into the solvent-cleaned/reamed hole, and then wire-wheeled off from the inside and a reinforced patch applied over the plugged spot.

The worst, by far, is the umbrella-shaped plug that is inserted via an air-powered gun that is inserted from the outside of the tire. Those plugs - held in place by compression of the hole - always seemed to push thru (into) the tire when the tread wore down.

I keep a rubber-rope-type plug & cement kit that is inserted via a semi-hooked tool in my camper trailer for emergency road repairs -- but have not needed to fix a flat in many years.

I never trust a tire which had the chord cut (as opposed to merely nail-punctured) -- and the biggest threat to the life of a repaired tire is how long it was run underinflated.

In the worst cases, a severely underinflaged and run-flat tire will have telltale rubber ***** rolling around inside. If you see these -- trashcan the tire, since they likely came from carcass-rubbing while run flat.

Quick Reply: A really silly question