Will 275/65r20 on stock 2015 platinum wheels rub?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will 275/65r20 on stock 2015 platinum wheels rub?

Hi all. I am new to this forum and couldn't find this exact setup although I feel it would be common. I am wondering: if I put 275/65r20 tires on the stock 2015 F150 Platinum wheels, will my tires rub at full lock or under normal driving conditions/maybe some light off-roading, without having to cut/trim anything? I will put a 2.5" level with a 1" rear block on with the install of the new tires as well.

The tires I am looking at are either the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, or the TOYO Open Country M/T tires, both in the 275/65r20 size. I took it into an off-road store, and they insisted this size wouldn't fit without rub, but I feel I've seen members on here who have gone with taller/wider tires on stock F150 wheels with no problems.

If someone could also add what the largest size tire I could go with, if i keep the stock wheels and install a 2.5" level, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for your input.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I have a 2014 Supercrew with the 20" wheel package. The tires, 275/55/20, rub when turning at full lock out of a driveway. I doubt the taller tires will clear.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Lab, that's interesting. You and I have essentially the same truck with the same wheel and tire sizes. Mine have never rubbed and I have to turn full lock to get out of my garage and also onto the road in front of my house.

Wonder why my tires don't rub?

- Jack

Old 06-28-2017, 11:27 AM
Don't know why my do and yers don't. It may be that we have different brands. Mine are the Bridgestone H/L Alenza. So far, I love the tires. They ride great, great wet/dry traction and are quiet. No balance issues either. I'll probably go back to the same tire when these die. Different brands can have a different cross section and still be the same numeric size. Years back the wife drove one of the old bulletproof Cougars. I wanted to go up one size in width for a hair more dry traction so I bought the next size tire up but a different brand than what was on the car. The bigger size tire was actually smaller than what was on the car. So I've never understood the actual meaning of the tire sizing anyway. I KNOW what it's suppose to mean but it doesn't always work apparently. Since then I go the tire makers website and find out the actual size in inches and then make a decision on which to buy. There can be a significant difference between say a 255/65/17 and a 265/65/17 as I found out on the 2004 Supercrew I had. The bigger tire was a LOT bigger and carried more air- 35lbs vs 51lbs. You'd think the bigger would cost in fuel mileage but it was the opposite. The bigger yielded 20% prox more fuel mileage and it most likely was due to the air pressure. Rode the same, handled better in wet and dry-go figure.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Could be the brand I suppose. I have Michelin's on it now, but the OEM tires, I've forgotten the brand, didn't rub either.

I agree that a higher air pressure should help the gas mileage. Another thing that can effect mileage, as you know, is the tread pattern.

- Jack

Old 06-29-2017, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
I have a 2014 Supercrew with the 20" wheel package. The tires, 275/55/20, rub when turning at full lock out of a driveway. I doubt the taller tires will clear.
Isn't 275/55r20 the stock tire size? that's what comes stock on the 2015 platinum. I have heard of folks going with 35x12.5r20 on <2014, but my understanding is that Ford put less room in the front wheel wells of the 2015+ models.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 AM
Isn't 275/55r20 the stock tire size?
It is on my truck. I'm still running the factory tires. There's no rubbing until I'm at full lock turn and uneven ground. The uneven ground is what makes it rub. It doesn't rub on level ground. Not sure where you are buying tires at but Discount Tire will either know if they will rub or they will mount a tire that you are wanting and try it. They're real easy to work with. If you don't have Discount Tires in your area, Americas Tire is the same company.