Truck pushing left and right

Old 08-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck pushing left and right

Good afternoon-

2004 Ford F-150 FX4 stock

I recently replaced upper control arms, lower ball joints, tie rod ends and hubs on my truck. I also purchased new wheels and tires and had a front-end alignment. The problem I'm about to describe was there before this work but more prevalent. It seemed to start after a brake job.

When driving down the road I feel like the truck will pull to the left, then right, stay straight and then pull to the left or right again. It's only slight and just enough that I place a little pressure to get back going straight. It feels random as to right or left.

What sort of thing would cause this? It's been several thousand miles since the brake job. I have replaced all that I know of that would cause it.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's probably either from uneven camber/caster. Or, when the brake job was done, did they replace calipers? We're the sliders lubed? They could be dragging and pulling you.

I think I remember you from another thread. You had gone to a Goodyear tire place and they didn't do a great job, right?

I'd bring it to a reputable local place and get another opinion.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
It's probably either from uneven camber/caster. Or, when the brake job was done, did they replace calipers? We're the sliders lubed? They could be dragging and pulling you.

I think I remember you from another thread. You had gone to a Goodyear tire place and they didn't do a great job, right?

I'd bring it to a reputable local place and get another opinion.
Thanks for remembering me!

I thought about that. I may need to just pull the tires off tomorrow and check out the calipers since the alignment shop I'd take it to for a second opinion is closed. They are 11 years old with almost 197,000 miles so may be sticking. I'd think the hub should spin freely without drag on the rotor but could be wrong.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
What is the offset of the new rims? If the new rims have a lot more offset, it will change the way it steers.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
My money's on caster.

- Jack

Old 08-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
What is the offset of the new rims? If the new rims have a lot more offset, it will change the way it steers.
The most that would effect is turning radius by either increasing or decreasing the trackwidth depending on the difference in backspacing.

Wheel backspacing wouldn't cause it to pull to either side.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drunderw
Thanks for remembering me!

I thought about that. I may need to just pull the tires off tomorrow and check out the calipers since the alignment shop I'd take it to for a second opinion is closed. They are 11 years old with almost 197,000 miles so may be sticking. I'd think the hub should spin freely without drag on the rotor but could be wrong.
You're welcome!

I still would probably think it has to do with caster/camber. I remember the shop installed a cam kit and those are only used with modified suspensions.

When you can, have a better place check it out. I think they didn't do a good job. Or there could be something wrong with one of the new parts that was replaced. What brand did you use and who did the install?

Old 08-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It can't hurt anything to check out the sliders, fairly quick and easy to do.
Inspect and clean them up, then add new grease to them.
I think this should be done every once and a while anyway.

Note, some types of grease will make the rubber bushings swell after a while.
I use Napa Sil Glyde 765-1351.
There are others out there to choose from, just make sure it is safe to use on rubber.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
You're welcome!

I still would probably think it has to do with caster/camber. I remember the shop installed a cam kit and those are only used with modified suspensions.

When you can, have a better place check it out. I think they didn't do a good job. Or there could be something wrong with one of the new parts that was replaced. What brand did you use and who did the install?
Thanks. I have an appointment for Thursday with a shop in town recommended by my friend who does a lot of off-road driving. They're a non-chain family shop so I have hopes that they'll straighten it out.

The parts are all MOOG with the exception of the hubs which are Timken. I do not know the brand that Goodyear put on.

I checked out the calipers today and here's the video from that- the pads touch the rotors at all times. Not sure how that compares with what you all see on yours.

Drivers
http://youtu.be/6NGcANUK2LA

Passenger
http://youtu.be/rUhpgcyIt6A

Passenger with wheel
http://youtu.be/9lsLThtI9zY

Old 09-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Big Ed F150
It can't hurt anything to check out the sliders, fairly quick and easy to do.
Inspect and clean them up, then add new grease to them.
I think this should be done every once and a while anyway.

Note, some types of grease will make the rubber bushings swell after a while.
I use Napa Sil Glyde 765-1351.
There are others out there to choose from, just make sure it is safe to use on rubber.
Thanks, I will try and check tomorrow. I appreciate the suggestion on the Sil Glyde. I'll grab some.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Who did the brakes?
Maybe they just threw new pads in? Any kind of reputable shop should have serviced the sliders?

Do you know how to service the caliper?

I am not a mechanic, I drive a truck, but that is why I try to do all my work myself if I can. I have seen a lot of things done the wrong way or not thoroughly enough. Then there are some "shops" (if you want to call them that) that should not even be in business.
I do it myself then I know it is right, if I get stuck somewhere I research or call my mechanic buddy to get some advice.
Sometimes you are stuck using a "shop" I then do research on the shop I choose before hand.

To put new pads in all you have to do is loosen the caliper, two bolts, and it comes off. You can just add the new pads. Maybe that is what they did?
If so that would not be the correct way to add the new pads.

Me, I pull the rotor off too, either get it turned down if it needs it or replace it all together. Even if it looks OK I still pull it off to inspect & repack the wheel bearings. Might as well, it doesn't take that much more time.
And I would definitely clean & re lube the sliders and check the rubber out good.

Have you done this before? I am fairly new here and don't know members.
I don't know what your degree of expertise is, working on things like that.
Are you comfortable working on the brakes?
Do you have any kind of reference manuals?

There are a few videos on servicing the caliper, I will dig one up for you if you want.
I don't think it is hard, but I guess some would?

I think that if both sides need servicing and are not fully releasing it very well could be your problem. Maybe some with more experience than me will dispute this?
I welcome criticism.

And hell, it sounds like you replaced everything else.

Side note question for the site.
HOW DO YOU INSERT A YOUTUBE VIDEO HERE?
Or can you only link it? Like I did below.

Hey drunderw, what is the clicking in this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUhpg...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Big Ed F150; 09-02-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck pushing left and right