Cooper Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cooper Tires?

My General Grabbers are finally worn out and I'm
looking for new tires. I've been having a hard time finding 255/70R16 because they are the recall size, so I started looking at non-mainstream brands. I saw some beefy looking Cooper Discoverer AT's that look nice. Are they good tires?

I saw some nice Falken Landair AT's and some Toyo Open County AT's. Any opinions on these? I do alot
of HWY driving and some light off road driving.

Thanks your input.

Old 08-16-2001, 10:16 PM
At work we have a 96 F350 flatbed 4x4 and a 01 F350 SD 4x4 service truck both of which have the discoverers on them. Both of these trucks spent thier fair share of time out in muddy pea fields and to my knowledge never had a problem getting around. I was pretty impressed with them, and they looked like some really good high quality tire too.

Old 08-17-2001, 07:25 AM
Thumbs up Cooper Tires

I just put a set of the Discoverer A/T's P265/75R/16's on.I love them!!
Very little tire noise for that tread. Had GY Wrangler AP's and i hated them, no traction on damp streets and i didn't go anywhere in snow, It rained yesterday and the traction was awesome. Plus they have a 50,000 tread warranty, With a price of $100.00 a pop i couldn't pass them up.

Old 08-17-2001, 08:04 AM
Arrow Cooper Tires.............

You know all those Pro-Comp AT's, MT's, and X-Terrain tires that everyone on here raves about? Well those are Coopers. They are designed and built by Cooper in Findlay Ohio. Coopers from my experience are pretty good tires, and usually are at a decent price. Mastercrafts are Coop's too. Just thought I'd let you know that ProComp's ARE Coopers and I gurantee this is true, I've heard people on here say that they don't think so, but I'll trust me on this one, I oughta know.

Old 08-18-2001, 01:50 AM
Talking

Hey Cruzer

I have a 97 F150 4x4 ORP with 4" suspension and 3" body lift and I run the cooper discover ATs. I think that they are great in and out of the mud. they wear really well. So if you find a set at a reasonable price get them i think you will like them too.

Old 08-22-2001, 09:42 AM
i had the cooper discoverer STT on mine before my bridgestones they had great traction but only lasted about 4 mths! they were cheap only paid 122 bucks a piece cheapest 17 in tire i could find in a m/t and now i know why i hope the cooper tires on your trucks last longer than mine.........honestly i would never own another tire but a Bridgestone Dueler a/t or a bfgoodrich a//t

Old 08-22-2001, 02:47 PM
Hey, I owned a set of Discovery STT's on my old 93 Ford Short Bed 4x4 and man they were some great tires. Only got stuck once and that time I got high centered!
Got about 33,000 miles out of them and over half of those miles were highway. I would'nt mind buying another set if I had to.

Trending Topics

Old 08-22-2001, 10:35 PM
Jimmy Lee,

The Cooper tires have a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty. I'm surprised yours wore out so fast.
Did you do have any unusual driving habits, like frequent burnouts?

Old 08-23-2001, 01:50 AM
Cooper makes a good tire. I was about to get a set instead of my BFG's but said what the hell and went all out. I was lokking at the Cooper ST (not the STT) but they only went up to a size 265, so I went ans got my BDG's in a 285 well I wound up downsizing to a 264 anyways for performance. Wish I would have saved the extra $ and got the BFG's. IMO, get the Cooper's you probably will not be disapponited.

Old 09-06-2001, 02:41 AM
Cool Cooper Tires

Cruzer, my dad has a set of Discovery's on his 2000 GMC Sierra. When I saw them for the first time I really liked the tread. They are 265's and I believe they are 8 ply. He drives down 3 mile dirt gravel road every day. So far he thinks they are good for him.

Old 09-06-2001, 11:32 PM
Cooper does indeed private label a lot of tires. My first set of private labels were a mud style radial 33-12.50/15's that lasted and worked in the mud very well on my old '78 F-150 4X4. My current set seems to be Coopers as well. I got them on my used '99. They're Chapparals sold by Del-Nat tire (American made according to their web site which is one reason I believe they're Coopers) and look Exactly like the Cooper all terrain tires(forgot the model.) While my experience with the latest tires are limited, they look good and aren't exhibiting any problems. Exellent wet traction. Can't comment on the really nasty stuff traction yet. If they continue to perform as they are now I'd buy them when I need new tires. IMO Coopers are under-rated.

Old 11-19-2001, 08:10 PM
COOPERS ROCK

I have copper 285 Discoverer STT MT's on my truck and they are awesome. They have lasted me 6 months so far with minimal tread ware. They are nice off-road, but still alittle small looking with my 6 inch lift. Oh well... shuld have got the 35's.

Old 11-21-2001, 07:45 PM
Thumbs up Just got a set myself

I just bought a set of P265/75R16 Cooper made "Futura Adventurer's" myself at PepBoys. Found them by accident really, the local Cooper dealer was out of 265's and waiting for a shipment, and I needed tires before the weekend! Anyway replaced a set of Wrangler P255/70R16's, on my '97 F150 reg cab 4X4, which like the other poster mentioned, weren't so hot on wet pavement and seemed kind of noisy too. These are quieter, and fill the wheel well much nicer than the 255/70's. They are about 2" taller and just as wide! Service mgr. warned that the increased diameter tire could throw the speedo off, and the tranny might shift differently. Well, between mile markers with the cruise set @ 60, it took 57 seconds instead of 60, and personally I think the shifting is smoother. I have the 5.4L and not sure of the rear end ratio, but I don't notice a problem with the larger size. That might be the one consideration when going to larger tires, can you haul the extra load? Check the weight difference between the "P" and "LT" rated tires. Same physical dimensions, but the P265/75's weigh in @ 38 lbs. and the LT's are 45 lbs. With a "V6" and a high rear end ratio, the larger size may cause more grief than gratitude.

Old 11-26-2001, 08:08 PM
Had Cooper tires on three vehicles in the past. IMO, hard to beat for the $$.

Natty

Old 12-11-2001, 11:40 PM
Had Futuras as well

I'm getting ready to change my rubber as well. I got the Futura Adventurers at 80k. They did great in the snow last year. They are supposed to last 60k I believe....but I'm now at 126k and I want to get new rubber for the upcoming winter. I do recomend rotating those every 5k. Mine scaloped big time. My buddy has the Futura Scramblers....POSs!!!!! Last winter his Dakota started to slide down a snow covered hill while parked!!! LMAO!

Quick Reply: Cooper Tires?