Pics of my new wheel and tire combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Pics of my new wheel and tire combo

Finally got to upload the new pics of my tire and wheel combo. I got 285 BFG AT's on 16x8 American Racing Baja rims. Looks killer, rides good, low noise.

http://photos.f150world.com/KYFordFr...ew%20tires.jpg

http://photos.f150world.com/KYFordFr...%20closeup.jpg

Only compliants is the loss of power and I've got a side to side shake of the steering wheel. I am thinking I have worn ball joints or something. It's not bad yet but I will see what I can do to fix it. May need to add a stablizer to help out. I haven't totally made up my mind yet to keep this size or drop down (got a 30 day test drive warranty) to a 265/75 or a 275/70.

Old 07-15-2001, 11:00 PM
I always liked those rims.

The only thing you should concider, with alluminum rims, get some EagleOne A to Z wheel cleaner. It is about the only cleaner that will not oxidate the rims.

Looks awsome

Old 07-16-2001, 02:23 AM
Thumbs up

KYFordFreak,
Man, Those look GOOD!! Hey, what brand of mud guards do you have on your truck? I've been looking at putting some on mine, but can never imagine what they'll look like.. Yours look real nice on your truck.

Old 07-17-2001, 12:01 AM
Thanks, not sure on the brand. I goe them from JC Whitney for 23.95 a set. In the Ford version catalog they are just called custome fit splash guards. I know they look just like Ford fctory mud flaps, just a lot cheaper. Front part# is 81rk4545b, rear part# is 81rk4546p fits 97-01. I thought about removing them as it kinda makes my big tire and wheel combo look dorky, but it looks dorky still if you just take the back ones off, the front ones have saved me from a lot of stone chips in the paint. I would sell mine if they come off but I have cut of the front ones to fit the tires. Heck they are fairly cheap new, yell at me if you need more info on them.

Old 07-17-2001, 01:23 AM
Excellent choice of rubber! I've had several sets of those tires on previous trucks and I'm really impressed with them.

I executed un-intentional Kojak-style 4 wheel drift around a corner today in light rain with my useless Goodyear RTS tires. The kids thought it was great fun...the wife wasn't so sure!!

I'll have the BFG's on my truck within a few weeks to avoid any similar incidents. They're not cheap to put on the 17" wheels! I always stipulate that the shop install tires blackwalls out; personal preference I guess. I just don't like giving out free advertising to BFG or anyone else. I think the looks of the tires speak for themselves...

Your truck looks great....Jack.

Old 07-19-2001, 02:29 AM
QUICK, I need to some fast opinions

With these larger tires I have seen IMO a grest deal of power loss, mostly on the highway. Truthfully I still have the power there but the tranny likes to shift up and down on even modest inclines. Now for the question part. How many of you are experiencing the same up down shift and what tire size do you have? Also, how much do you think I have just affected the life of my tranny? If you have to remeber I am running the 4.6L (K&N drop in air filter is the only performance mod for now), with stock gears and the truck has almost 125,000 on it, so it's not a new fresh motor or tranny. It has been well taken care of and runs very strong to me. This is very important issue that I need to solve quick, as my 30 day window to trade back down to a 265 is almost up. Please feel free to reply if you think the 265's would no help the tranny problem.

Old 07-20-2001, 02:05 AM
Looks good man, just need to do something about that tailpipe now :P

As far as the tires, i don't think 285's to 265s is going to make that big a difference, but all in all, you're the one that has to live with it. if you don't like the getup and go on 'er now, you'll have to sacrifice the looks of the big meats.
But if you like the looks, you'll sacrifice a little performance.

Bambino

Old 07-20-2001, 03:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Looking good!

That is an awesome wheel/tire combo. I am a believer in white letters. I've got them out on mine too. First time I have done it! Just always seemed to put them inside for some reason.....

I just got back from a 400 mile round trip on I-5 between Tacoma and Salem. Some inclines and hills. Cruised between 65-75 the whole way. Even with the 265's, mine wanted to downshift out of OD on most of them. And that was going 75 and around 2000 rpm's! It also did it at 70 and around 1900 rpm's. I'll see if I can find a pic of a closeup of my 265's. I think you'll see that there is a difference in the height, but I'm "downshifting" too, so you really won't see much change that way. Just in the looks of the combo you have now!!

I have the 5.4 and only 69k miles on mine. I also got the best mileage ever. 16.7 mpg!

Old 07-20-2001, 12:46 PM
Unhappy KYFordFreak....

Here's a shot of my tire. The pic isn't the best and is a lot darker then the original photo. I'm still getting the hang of this scanning and photo editing. (and I'm in the computer business!)

Old 07-22-2001, 10:46 PM
Would a superchip help?

Thanks for the compliments guys. Like bambino said it's all a sacrifice. I love the looks, hate the performance and can't make up my mind which matters more.

Does anyone think a superchip would help me out? I could probably have Mike help me tune it for the shift ponts I need to keep the truck from the dreaded up and down shift. I am not sure what type of programming I would need. I need the engine to stay at about 2200- 2300 to keep the trans from dropping out of OD on the interstate. I know compared to the stock tires I have lost 184 RPMS with the 285's (265's mean a loss of 110 RPM's). I personally can't see where a 32.83 tall tire (285) is going to look that much bigger than 31.65 (265). It's only 1.18 difference, but a 1 inch difference seems to mean alot performance wise.

I know a gear swap would solve my problems but just can't afford to have front and both done right now, and do not have the proper tools to do it myself. My stock 3.55 gear now feels like a 3.25 gear with the 285's (265's would make it feel like a 3.37)
I guess I could get one of the Ford motorsports 3.73 gears. I have heard they are almost just a drop in fit, I would then just have to keep it out of 4wd until the front is done.

The chip would be a much easier upgrade and add more benifits. Any advice out there, again?

Last edited by KYFordFreak; 07-22-2001 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2001, 08:22 PM
Hey Ford Freak,
I have a 99 that I changed from 255/70/16 (29.5) to the 265/70/17 (31.5) and could tell a big difference in power loss. I have researched this for 6 months now and the only partial fix is that to get new gears 3.73 would put me back to stock and 4.10 would be a little quicker off the line. Even then I understand that the shift points (computerized) will never line up right without the stock original equip. tires size, hope this helps ya!

Old 07-26-2001, 12:24 AM
Yeah I have came to that conclusion too. Gears is the only real true fix. My understanding from Mike is that if you change the VSS gear (speedometer) on the 97 or 98 or in your case reprogram the computer u can help the shift points a lot. Yeah you would think one of these aftermarket tuners could do pretty much whatever they wanted with these shift points. I think that I am about in the same boat, 3.73's would be just a tad understock for me and 4.10's would be just a tad over. Gears just seem like a big step and hassle to change. I am lookin into a superchip to help a little. Keep me informed with what u do.

Old 07-26-2001, 12:43 AM
Question KYFordFreak

I thought I was just imagining it, but when I changed my VSS gear, I thought the truck shifted "better" too. This "Mike", is he that Super Chip guy? He seems to really know his s@!t. I agree that gears are a big step to take, just to compensate for a couple inches of tire. If I had 35's or more, then it would be a no brainer.

Try the VSS change. It's less then $20, and takes two minutes. I'm much happier since I did mine and knowing my speedo is telling me the true speed I'm going.

Old 07-26-2001, 02:04 PM
Thumbs up

Your truck looks great. The tax check should be coming soon and I'm thinking about changing everything too. I'm printing pics of your truck for the wife to convince her!

Old 07-26-2001, 11:38 PM
MitchF150
Yea it's the Superchip dealer Mike. He is a great guy to talk to and he does know his stuff. I bet I spent 30-45 minutes on the phone with him going over every point of the chips and other things. I do plan to change that VSS gear as soon as I can get to Ford.
Just to let you know since we have talked at lengths about this. I am going to try to trade down. That way I can have power back, less wear, and if I do get a chip it will be that much better but, I will miss the looks and if I had the extra grand it would be these tires and 3.73's or 4.10's.

LarryD
Thanks, that probably the best compliment I have ever gotten. Post me a pic of yours up here. It's an F150 it's gotta look good.

Quick Reply: Pics of my new wheel and tire combo