Can a tire do well offroad and on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a tire do well offroad and on the road?

Im in need of a tire that does well in mud, clay, and sand but wears well and isnt too loud. Ive looked at nitto trail grapplers and mickey thompson mtz's

Old 03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Trail Grappler, BFG M/T, Toyo Open Country M/T. If you are willing to saccrifice a little off road for on road look at the BFG KO AT.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 PM
i like the toyos but ive heard bad things about hydroplaning

Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

All mud tires will do great off road but be loud on road. It all depends on your tolerance for the noise. I usually have my radio going pretty loud so I don't notice as much. If you are principally driving on asphalt or as a daily commuter, you will probably lose patience with the howl or hum after a while. If you are off road a lot, you won't sweat it. The all terrains like the Nitto Trail Grappler, BFG AT, Desert Dueler, ProComp AT and Extreme AT are a good all around choice and won't be that loud. However, they are not going to be as good off road. There is no such thing as a tire that does it all. Even among the all terrains there are some more aggressive like the ProComp Extreme AT or the Trail Grappler and some more mild like the Desert Dueler and Goodyear Wrangler AT.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I want a woman that speaks when spoken to, puts out on request with no complaints, cooks, cleans, makes more money than I do but doesn't complain about it...oh wait...that was a dream too...LOL!! Sorry, couldn't' resist.

GoodYear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 PM
noise doesnt bother me too much so ill prolly end up getting the trail grapplers but im wondering if ill have to lift my truck or turn up the torsion bars(theyre all the way down even though my truck is about level)

Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The Goodyear MTR is my favorite tires and I run them on my offroad rigs but they sure aren't quiet. As far as lifting, it depends on the size tires you get. If you stick with stock sizes or go one up, then you won't have to do anything. One suggestion, do a lot more homework to see what you actually want. Some years ago I threw a set of 32" Firestones on my 90 Bronco as a quick improvement to the stock tires for some ground clearance when I went off road. Firestone was the only ones making a 32" tire as everyone else had 31' or 33" tires. The Firestones were an oddball size but I couldn't go 33's without rubbing heavily. Within a short amount of time I had decided on putting a lift kit on my Bronco that would facilitate 35" tires. I was stuck trying to unload the Firestones.

Money may be an issue but if you plan on doing a lift eventually anyway, save your bucks and do tires at the same time. Trail Grapplers by the way won't be too noisy and give you an improvement in off road performance over stock but they are by no means a mud tire. Whatever you do, research, research, research and look before you leap.

Last edited by TheDesertRat; 03-28-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tires are always a compromise. No one tire is gonna ride like a passenger car tire, wear like a BFG AT KO and sling mud like a Super Swamper Bogger. From the way you describe your needs the Nitto Trail Grappler, Toyo MT or BFG MT KM will probably be your best compromise.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Hankook Dynapro ATM .

Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Take a look at the Kelly Fierce Attitude MT....... looked at my buddies the other day. he had 40K on them and they still had 35-40% tread left. I Love em, thats what i put on mine a couple weeks ago. Work great off road, Best thing is they are smooth on road and no humming. I have the 315x75x16=35x12.50x16. Oh by the way i can get them for 170 a piece.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1366&bih=643

Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hankook dynapro mud terrain! They are the winter tire I use on my truck, they have excellent mud traction, and ride very very quiet for a MT. They are not any louder then my AT summer tires. Downside- they will wear faster then some others because they are a softer compound. Just get 10 ply and they will last pretty well on a 1/2 ton truck..

Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM
TOYO MT!!! Best mud tire ever made IMO. I never thought that a tire with such good street manners can sling mud like it does. Havent gotten stuck yet!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by brazzeal15
TOYO MT!!! Best mud tire ever made IMO. I never thought that a tire with such good street manners can sling mud like it does. Havent gotten stuck yet!
I have to agree. great off road tire, not to loud on the road and you will get great mileage out of them. most of my customers go with this tire after a lift or light mod. a little on the pricey side but a really solid tire

Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Griff D
I have to agree. great off road tire, not to loud on the road and you will get great mileage out of them. most of my customers go with this tire after a lift or light mod. a little on the pricey side but a really solid tire
With a year and a half of driving on them I went 20,000 miles on my set of 35x12.5x18 Toyo MT's on my 08 and only lost 4/32's of tread. They wear awesome, make very little road noise, clean out well in the mud, dont throw rocks on gravel roads, and are possibly the best looking tire on the road. The only problem I can find is that theyre not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 PM
I agree i went mud grapps instead of toyo m/t and i don't regret it just not getting the mileage

Quick Reply: Can a tire do well offroad and on the road?