20" factory wheels with Bilstein 5100's... What tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20" factory wheels with Bilstein 5100's... What tires?

Nwq 2011 FX4 w/stock wheels and tires

UPS just delivered my Bilstein 5100 2" leveling shocks. Now I need to decide on tires for the factory 20"x8.5" rims.

I don't want ANY rubbing, not even a little.

I'm leaning towards BFG AT 285/65/20's.

What other options do I have?

Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with those BFG's, you won't be sorry.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Dog'em
Go with those BFG's, you won't be sorry.
Just found the traction control problem threads. Looks like I would have been very sorry.

Great move Ford... Make it impossible to run larger tires without having the traction control going off all the time and don't fix the problem for going on 2 years now... I wouldn't have bought this POS if I had know I would be stuck with 31" tires on it...

1st time buying American in 15 years... Will be the last... I've had it...

Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeSixpack
Just found the traction control problem threads. Looks like I would have been very sorry.

Great move Ford... Make it impossible to run larger tires without having the traction control going off all the time and don't fix the problem for going on 2 years now... I wouldn't have bought this POS if I had know I would be stuck with 31" tires on it...

Sorry about that, I didn't know the new models had issues with running larger tires. That sucks because your truck would look sweet running those with a level kit.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
you can't put bigger tires on a 2011 f-150??????????

Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by JoeSixpack

Wow, I hope you aren't really that upset with such a nice vehicle so soon! (Is this a troll maybe?)
A few things..

You have a 32" tire (31.9"), not 31".
You can run a 33" tire without any problems. A 275/60r20 would look quite nice.
You are blessed to have such a nice truck - I hope you can enjoy it.

Last edited by 2009KR; 02-11-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by 2009KR
Wow, I hope you aren't really that upset with such a nice vehicle so soon! (Is this a troll maybe?)
A few things..

You have a 32" tire (31.9"), not 31".
You can run a 33" tire without any problems. A 275/60r20 would look quite nice.
You are blessed to have such a nice truck - I hope you can enjoy it.
No troll... Just do a google search on F150 +"traction control" +2010 +problems

You'll find hundreds of posts about this on dozens of forums...

Apparentally Ford did such a good job making TC impossible to recalibrate that the chip tuners have not been able to get around this for over a year now.

There's actually a pretty long thread about this on this forum right here...

Poor guy tried to run BFG 285/65/20's on stock 20" rims and it went downhill from there... Here's some of the posts from other owners from that thread... You can find hundreds more like these on other forums...

"It is now calibrated and still doing this...my warranty will not cover whatever it is...I should have left well enough alone. I think I'm pulling it out and putting those awful Pirelli scorpions back on. I will also write a letter to ford demanding to know why the hell they would put such a low profile tire on an offroad package! I'm so fed up with this. I hate to even take a picture of the truck, it looks so good. If this is going to screw up my warranty, which the Ford dealer said they could always blame the bigger tire for any powertrain issue, I just want it back to normal. This is costing me an arm and a leg!"

---

"I have this problem also. I have an 09 FX4 Screw w/ a 2' level kit and BFG 305 65 18's.
I guarantee it is not rubbing but is the traction control activating. i also see the light come on on the dash. it happens with i turn 90 degrees to an uneven surface, as in a dip or the street i am turning onto is at a different level that where i came from."

---

"I also have the EXACT same problem with my 2009 FX4. I have 35s with a 2" leveling kit as well. For months I searched for rub marks, even had our bodyshop do some trimming. I work at a dealer and our service department said it was the traction control kicking on the ABS and Throttle response. When it happens the truck completely slows itself down, REAL pain in the A$$."

---

"So I have pulled a brand new set of BFG AllTerrain T/A ko's off my truck, and was lucky enough to buy back my original tires for the same amount I traded them in. I have 4 285/65/20 BFG All Terrain T/A KO's E rated for sale. They go for $328 each + shipping on tirerack. They are brand new, with under 200 miles on them, still under warranty, sitting at my tire shop ready to ship today! They are going on Craigs list locally, and on eBay tomorrow. If you have a 2008 and older, these things will work great. I am also pulling out the AS 2" leveling kit. With these puny Pirelli's it looks terrible. If you don't have traction control on a 2009 or 2010, it might be worth buying the whole kit and kaboodle. PM me."

---

"Well got the truck today with the295/65r18 with a 2" level inthe front and the tc did go off. If my wife wasn't in the truck I would have cried."

---

"Add me to the list of victims on this. I have the AS 2.5 spacer on the front and the 1.5 AAL on the rear. I noticed the traction control coming on with the stock tires for about 6 months, and it still comes on with the 35s I added recently. Seems to always happen if there is a side slope on a turn or if there are some bumps in the turn and the body starts rocking side to side a bit."

---

"im running a 2.5'' level kit in the front on my 09 with OE 18's and 35x12.5 mud terrains. havent had a single issue with rubbing as of yet and it been about 4 months. BUT, turning uphill around any corners where the traction may be less than desirable(even at less than 10 km/h) my traction control still goes off like its possessed. ive also taken it to the dealer and they've re-calibrated for 305's but it seems like we are all having issues with that damn traction control. what a pain let me tell ya, especially if you are hauling a trailer."

---

I suspect there's WAY more people having the problem but most are probably just too embarrassed to admit it.

Keep in mind that Ford has known about the for over a YEAR now and has not even acknowledged it as a problem.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...es-2010-a.html

Last edited by JoeSixpack; 02-12-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Just got back from my dealership... The service guy plugged into their Ford programmer into my truck and showed me how the "new" 2011 software works...

It brings up a list of tire sizes... If it's not on the list and nothing with a larger diameter tire size than the factory tires is, then you're out of luck.

The guy said the software used to allow them to input the rotations per minute but no any more...

His recommendation? Turn the traction control off before driving...

I told him that was unacceptable and that Ford was going to start losing business once the word gets out to hunters and the 4x4 crowd that Ford has made it impossible to run tires larger than the factory tires without problems with traction control and speedometers. He just shook his head and said I don't know why they are doing this...

Old 02-12-2011, 05:31 PM
I didn't doubt that there is an issue with running larger tires right now. I was surprised that you seemed so unhappy with your truck because of this current limitation.

I suggest calling Bill at PHP to see if they can address this issue. 678-890-1110 - best time to call is round noon EST.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Location: Central Texas(Killeen) but san Marcos on the weekends
WOW.....and to think i almost got a 2011.....they let me drive my 08 home for the night while they had the 2011 truck picked up fromt the other lot, thank God i didnt sign anything, went back the next morning told them i wanted the 08 they let me drive for the night, i didnt even know about this issue but fell in love with the 08

Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Plenty of guys run 35s on 09-10 and have had very few problems.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:21 AM
I have an 07 FX4 so I don't have this issue with my F150. However, my G35 I can manually turn off the TCS (they call it VDC). That, by nature now, is the first thing I do before putting the car in 1st gear. There is a company called KPM technologies that makes relay modules that are installed inline with the TCS button that remember the last setting so you don't have to push the button each time you start it up. Also, IMO, the TCS system on my G35 interferes with daily driving too much that it is unsafe, especially getting on an onramp that has an incline.

Quick Reply: 20" factory wheels with Bilstein 5100's... What tires?