Hubs/Brakes Done...Don'tcha Just Love New Stuff!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hubs/Brakes Done...Don'tcha Just Love New Stuff!!

It really quite doesn't matter what it is...shiny new parts are just cool!!! New hub assembly, PowerSlot rotors, and TQ pad are all done and completely flushed the brake fluid with Amsoil Series 500 DOT3.

I will say one thing about the brake pads...the box came with all new clip things for the calipers. That's a nice touch. We'll see how they do compared to the EBC's I'm used to running. (sorry...phone pics this time)

Old 01-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Where's the brake lines? Ford factory lines are the worst. I did the same thing, different manufacturers. Nothing made a difference until I installed quality lines.

But yea, looks nice

Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What made you upgrade the rotors and pads from stock, just curious is all. Did you just do the hubs while you where there or was there an excessive amount of run out?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 AM
^^His one hub bearing was shot and I'm assuming he did the brakes because everything was already torn apart.

Looks good Galaxy. What is that Amsoil filter for in pic 2? Oil? Seems like it isn't in a good place, other than for easy changing. Just wondering, I don't know much about the 97-03 F150s.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Yea brew...brake lines are on my wish list and I should have done them with this brake job. I would have if I hadn't had to shell out $400 for hubs...there went my brake line budget, LOL!

Originally Posted by piston91
What made you upgrade the rotors and pads from stock, just curious is all. Did you just do the hubs while you where there or was there an excessive amount of run out?
I always either turn rotors or replace with a brake job. IMO, that's the only way to do a brake job correctly. This go round, just wanted to try something different. My rear rotors couldn't be turned again so I bought all 4 just to have a complete matching set now (I previously had stock rotors on the rear and EBC's on the front). I did both hubs because my left one was headed south...fast! Mine actually had no run-out or play. Couldn't even move it around with the wheel on, which is usually a symptom. I just had lots and lots of noise that was literally getting worse daily. I actually needed brakes anyways. It was a total coincidence the hub went out while I was due brakes. It was only natural to do both jobs at the same time.

Yes, that's my (normal, not bypass) oil filter and it's in a great location! Let me guess...you're wondering "what if you get in an accident?" Why else would you have a remote oil filter besides easy changing and cool-factor?? This location gets it out of the hot engine compartment and aids a little in cooling as well. Plus, I can run this bigger size of this filter which has increased my capacity by almost a full quart. Although where I live now, the additional cooling is turning out to be a negative, but that's a whole nother thread all together. The fact that it's a '97-'03 is irrelevant. You can do a remote filter on anything and mount it wherever you like.

Last edited by Galaxy; 01-30-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Pretty cool Galaxy. I just thought that it looked out of place and never thought of it as just being relocated.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Where's the brake lines? Ford factory lines are the worst.
Oh yea, forgot...these aren't the factory ones. Did new brake lines when I did the lift, so only a few years old and not Ford factory. Not braided though, but not old.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Oh yea, forgot...these aren't the factory ones. Did new brake lines when I did the lift, so only a few years old and not Ford factory. Not braided though, but not old.
Yea, that's good. Those Ford lines start to collapse inside after awhile and become restrictive. Pads start to wear funny; they can even angle, wear diagonally. That's because our twin piston calipers need fluid volume to work correctly. Without it, you have all sorts of issues, mainly with the front caliper sets. Uneven pressure and overheating the rotors is the most common. Original lines for the 97-03's are a big problem and usually the most neglected.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 AM

I'm pretty sure I still have factory lines on my 02 Screw. Sorry to jump in here. Is replacing brake lines a terrible project to undertake? What sort of budget? Or is this one I should let the pros do? I did my full brake job myself with the new rotors and pads, but thats pretty straight forward. Thanks! Looks good as always Galaxy!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Does anyone know if they make braided stainless hoses for the 97-03? Anyone have a link?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by wookie13
Does anyone know if they make braided stainless hoses for the 97-03? Anyone have a link?
OTC, I think Russel does. It's been a while since I checked but pretty sure they do. I know some (all) of those custom line places like you see advertisements for in the back of the 4WD magazines do. I've called, and they'll make anything you want for about the same price.

Quick Reply: Hubs/Brakes Done...Don'tcha Just Love New Stuff!!