need help which tire nitto terra grappler or toyo open country at

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help which tire nitto terra grappler or toyo open country at

hello im new here i have a 07 fx4 screw with bilsteins and am looking for tires i have narrowed it down to 2 nitto terra grappler 295/70/18 or toyo open country 285/75/18 just wondering what you all would recommend or any other tire suggestions are welcome thanks

Old 06-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the forum. Some people will tell you there are a lot of things to consider when buying tires. I think there are three. What they look like, how much and will they keep me from getting stuck (in whatever it is you like to try and get stuck in). I went with the Toyo Open Country A/T's. I couldn't have an M/T due to my daily driving to and from work. I was on the fence with the grapplers and Toyos as well. They are almost identical in tread pattern, i think the nitto has a more aggresive sidewall. The Toyo's are fantastic, I drove without issue all last winter and loved them. I also found a hell of a deal on the toyos or I would have gotten the Nittos. I have had BFG's, Matercrafts, and goodyears and I think you pay for the name on the GY and BFG's....I think for daily driving and mild off roading, OC a/t's or terra grapplers either one would be good. Just my .05, i am sure more opinions will be coming soon!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I have te terra grapplers. I have had them about a month or so and I love them. You really cant go wrong with either. Just get the one that is cheaper. I got a pretty good deal on mine.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I have the Nittos on my 06 and I love them. About 9000 miles so far, no issues at all. I don't do any real severe off-roading, so I really can't say how they hold up to thick mud or anything like that. Trips on the beach and hunting or fishing trips are no problem. On the highway, they are pretty quiet and smooth for an all-terrain tire. A buddy of mine has BF Goodrich A/Ts on his 01, and I think my tires are a lot quieter than his.
I don't have any experience with the Toyos, but from everything I have heard, you would be fine with those too. The prices I found, the Nittos were about $150 cheaper than the Toyos.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:28 PM
They are very similiar tires, both made by same company. Personally, I prefer the more aggressive appearing sidewall of the nitto tg.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kfx400o3
hello im new here i have a 07 fx4 screw with bilsteins and am looking for tires i have narrowed it down to 2 nitto terra grappler 295/70/18 or toyo open country 285/75/18 just wondering what you all would recommend or any other tire suggestions are welcome thanks
Both are great AT tires but I have to agree that the Nitto sidewall's look a little better.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the nittos for three years now and thru the rain, snow, ice, mud and everyday driving i love them and will get them again

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Got my Nitto's about 2 weeks ago and love them so far....they ride great and perform well off road....a friend of mine has the Toyo's and mine are definitely quieter and he got stuck in the same mud I didn't.....If you getting a better deal on the Toyo's then go with them, if not go with the terra graps...either way you will love em! Good luck

Old 06-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right, they are essentially the same tire, manufactured in the same plant. Go with the one you think looks the best or can get cheaper.

Quick Reply: need help which tire nitto terra grappler or toyo open country at