Nitto Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW just checked my Nitto TG's and they are at 75psi....Guess I better air down to about 50psi......

Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I guess the reason i dont get that mileage out of my tires is i wont wear them down to slicks! geesh mitch!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by BlkButy
WOW just checked my Nitto TG's and they are at 75psi....Guess I better air down to about 50psi......
Good gravy man!!!!.....did it feel like you were riding on bricks with that kind of pressure in them???? I've put mine at 45 all the way around but am thinking I should bump the front up to at least 50. If you've been running 75 with no problems, that takes away some of my hesitation

Old 06-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Big_Smokey
I guess the reason i dont get that mileage out of my tires is i wont wear them down to slicks! geesh mitch!
yeah, I ride them to the very end They really didn't look like that till around 145,000, and the one pictured actually has 3 nails in it. Had to start putting air in the tire about every 2 weeks towards the end for a month and 1/2. If you look in my profile albums you can see the kind of blizzards we got this past winter that I was riding around on those tires in. I'm telling you those BFGs are some kinda awesome, IMO.

Last edited by mitch150; 06-08-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:02 PM
I had 31x10.50x15 Nitto Dune Grapplers on my old Bronco II and I ran them around 46 seemed to ride the best and wear the best...so yea if I was running that on a BII you really should have more air in them. Also the other thing I noticed and you may want to take note of this....with the nitto grappler series tires they have thicker sidewalls, so any loss in air 10-20 psi will not be noticable as it would with an lt tire....they won't slouch and roll the sidewalls as noticeable....I learned always keep a tire gauge.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I've been meaning to follow up on this thread. Since I rotated and bumped the pressure up to 50lbs, my wear is MUCH more consistent. Now the question is how low should I run them on the beach. My tires are 11.5 inches wide. Next time, I might not air down at all and just see how it does.

TO ALL YOU NITTO TG OWNERS, how do you feel about the constant rocks being picked up by your tires. It's driving me crazy. I've got scratches/dings down the bottom side of my truck AND on my brand new flares. My parents live off a gravel road and I camp alot. WHEN I can, I actually take the time to pick the rocks out of my tires w/ a small screwdriver before I go out on the road, but I don't always have time for that unfortunately. What is your opinion on this? Driving you crazy? Don't give a damn? ????

Old 07-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mitch150
here you go Lorne, site was doing maintenance and I couldn't upload any pics until now
That is unreal.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by bigsur
I've been meaning to follow up on this thread. Since I rotated and bumped the pressure up to 50lbs, my wear is MUCH more consistent. Now the question is how low should I run them on the beach. My tires are 11.5 inches wide. Next time, I might not air down at all and just see how it does.

TO ALL YOU NITTO TG OWNERS, how do you feel about the constant rocks being picked up by your tires. It's driving me crazy. I've got scratches/dings down the bottom side of my truck AND on my brand new flares. My parents live off a gravel road and I camp alot. WHEN I can, I actually take the time to pick the rocks out of my tires w/ a small screwdriver before I go out on the road, but I don't always have time for that unfortunately. What is your opinion on this? Driving you crazy? Don't give a damn? ????
Yea I had nittos in e range on my 05. You need to stay min 45 psi, the reccommended pressure for high end is 80psi, so you were running them 45 psi lower then whats stated on the sidewall, that was the problem. Thats equivalent to running a 50 psi tire at 5 psi, lol! When i had these tires nitto directly said to me min of 50 psi for my truck.

The tire place and the dealer you went to are both freaking idiots who gave you advice that not only could have killed you, but at the minimum ruined your tires. I'd be pretty mad at them if i were you.

My nittos threw less rocks then any other a/t I've ever had so i'd have to say get used to it or get street tires, lol!

Old 07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Maxout05
Yea I had nittos in e range on my 05. You need to stay min 45 psi, the reccommended pressure for high end is 80psi, so you were running them 45 psi lower then whats stated on the sidewall, that was the problem. Thats equivalent to running a 50 psi tire at 5 psi, lol! When i had these tires nitto directly said to me min of 50 psi for my truck.

The tire place and the dealer you went to are both freaking idiots who gave you advice that not only could have killed you, but at the minimum ruined your tires. I'd be pretty mad at them if i were you.

My nittos threw less rocks then any other a/t I've ever had so i'd have to say get used to it or get street tires, lol!
Yeah, needless to say, I was pretty mad at both my dealer...AND Nitto for awhile b/c they wouldn't give me a straight answer either. W/out this site, I'd still be running them low as heck!! Well, at 50.....they're wearing just fine, so I'll leave them alone.

I hear you on the rocks. It's just hard for me b/c I'm really into detailing and keeping my ride looking good. It's hard when you have to "deal" with scratching your truck intentionally. OH WELL, I'll have to get me some paint and touch it up once per year or something like that.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run 65 psi in mine. They are wearing great.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey BigSur, thanks for the update. I was wondering if it fixed your problem. I had Terra Grapplers on my last truck and also ran 35PSI for a wile, until I was told about it. I ended up running 42 psi most of their life. The ride was great, and they lasted me 42,000 miles with only a couple rotations. I sold the truck last winter and I see the guy still driving on them. I'm sure they'll go 50K. As soon as I have the cash, I'm putting 295/70/17 grapplers on my current truck.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by saserby
Hey BigSur, thanks for the update. I was wondering if it fixed your problem. I had Terra Grapplers on my last truck and also ran 35PSI for a wile, until I was told about it. I ended up running 42 psi most of their life. The ride was great, and they lasted me 42,000 miles with only a couple rotations. I sold the truck last winter and I see the guy still driving on them. I'm sure they'll go 50K. As soon as I have the cash, I'm putting 295/70/17 grapplers on my current truck.
Yup, they are wearing better now. I'd like to go w/ 295/70/18's when I'm ready for new ones but my offset on my rim is really low. Not sure if they will fit w/ only a 2" leveling kit.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by bigsur
Yup, they are wearing better now. I'd like to go w/ 295/70/18's when I'm ready for new ones but my offset on my rim is really low. Not sure if they will fit w/ only a 2" leveling kit.
They will fit no problem, heres truckncrew04's truck with this size and 2" leveling.

Sweet looking i think!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 PM
The 295's will fit. Here's my '05 with a 2" AS kit installed. And I'm running at about 50psi and they're wearing even. Got almost 4k on them so far. My tire man says the Nitto Terras wear as well as any A/T truck tire he's sold. I used to insist on Bridgeston Revos, but these Nittos are winning me over. The rock thing is a little annoying, but they've got pretty wide voids for an A/T.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Well keep in mind the offset on the rim. Those rims probably have a +30mm offset, whereas mine has a -12mm offset, making clearance a little harder to obtain.

With the 2" kit and a 285/65/R18 tire, I had to trim the bumber valance to make it work. My guys says I need at least a 3" kit to make a 295/70 work. Hope you guys are right though b/c I don't want the 3" kit.

Quick Reply: Nitto Tire Wear