New Brakes..Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Brakes..Need Advice

So I bought a set of aftermarket slotted and cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads for my 97 2WD F-150. After I installed them I took the truck for a ride and noticed a bad shake every time I hit the brakes. Figuring it was just because they hadn’t “set in” yet, I drove it around for about 20 minutes taking it up to about 35mph and moderately breaking down to about 5mph. Still has a bad shake, brought it back into the shop and checked the lateral run out. One side was .002 and the other .005! I put new bearings and races in thinking there could be no way brand new rotors could be that far out but no change. I called tech support where I bought them from and they say .005 is still well within specs for most manufacturers!?! He said “you didn’t follow the correct set in procedure of 50mph to 5mph of hard breaking 5 times consecutively then 35mph to 5mph of moderate breaking 5 times” and followed up with “not sure if there is anything they can do because the rotors are within their specs”. Is this guy feeding me a line of B.S.? What do you guys think?

I put all the old brakes back on so I can still drive my truck. They are nice and smooth.

Quick Reply: New Brakes..Need Advice