All-terrain tire reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 for the Hankooks... I have more photos in my albums... Not that the others mentioned aren't great tires...

Mine are 285/65R18... I NOW have 3" level kit up front and 3" blocks in the rear and I wish they were bigger is all (installed before my lift)... I've driven almost 10K on them now. Handled GREAT in the snow and rain, low noise, and look sharp... Unfortunately I'll be getting many more miles out of them before they wear out and I can get some bigger ones.

Last edited by mwkatm; 03-23-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the same model truck but here are my 35"(315/70r17) Hankook atm's...

Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 AM
bfg's with 48k highway miles Great Tire

Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
hm never thought about the hankooks. they look sharp though.

and i love the looks of bfg at's but the price... ugh... lol

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Not sure how they will price out but I am looking at the Goodyear wranglers Dura Track in 295/65R18. I will be puting them on my stock 18" more so for winter. They are an aggressive looking A/T (more so than Nitto or BFG IMO)

Im on the north coast (Rain) and the bfg's dont do that well in water if been told but thats not an issue for you.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah, living in Texas i dont deal much with snow or anything. (although it has snowed like 4 times this year!)

I would be dealing more with just rain and driving on sand and other light off-road terrain. but ill look into the dura-tracks

Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Fx4'er
Not sure how they will price out but I am looking at the Goodyear wranglers Dura Track in 295/65R18. I will be puting them on my stock 18" more so for winter. They are an aggressive looking A/T (more so than Nitto or BFG IMO)

Im on the north coast (Rain) and the bfg's dont do that well in water if been told but thats not an issue for you.
Duratracs are a sick looking tire...looks to me like someone (goodyear) finally found the perfect balance between a mud tire and an at

Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 PM
I like my BFGs. Only cons are they cake really bad when in any mud, and over 50mph they shake some. Lowered my air pressure and a good part of it went away. The alignment shop I went to a month ago pumped them up to 48 psi. I had been wondering why I had been riding so rough.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I have the Cooper LTZ's and love em. so far been between Tech and Amarillo (about 125 miles each time) and have done great, took the truck in the acres behind the house last week and they did great, I had no problems making my way through the mx track to where i wanted to go, and it was some really spongey loose dirt! didn't dog it or anything and for the snow, they did great. The day after I got them it rained and they had no problems there either.

EDIT:
pics

Last edited by MbL90; 03-23-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 AM

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. If price is a factor, I'd rule out the BFG. They are considerably more expensive than the other AT tires. Especially in a 20" cutout. And I'd have to defend the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I'm not sure where people are going through these so quickly. I have them in a 305/55/20 on my FX4 and rotate them every 6,000 miles. I currently have 53,000 miles on them and counting. The guy at Discount Tire said as far as tread depth goes I have at least another 20,000 miles in them. They'll be 4 years old in August and he figures, the age will eventually get them before the tread depth does. I'd have to agree. They still grip great and in my opinion ride much nicer than the BFG's (had those on another F150). I was looking at those Coopers too. They're pretty sweet. Hope that helped a bit.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by aggieforddriver
Yeah, living in Texas i dont deal much with snow or anything. (although it has snowed like 4 times this year!)

I would be dealing more with just rain and driving on sand and other light off-road terrain. but ill look into the dura-tracks
Man,

Tell me about it, I'm up here in Lubbock (the land of the pirate) and I've seen more snow this year than all the years of my life (please forgive the south Tx boy for seeing much of the white stuff in his lifetime).

Funny story...

These kiddos CANNOT drive in pretty dry weather, much less slippery frozen water. I have LS on my 2wd and I pulled out half a dozen folks from various snow banks, bar ditches, and one parking lot (yeah that's right). Would have been easier with 4wd, but I just kept on the throttle and the Hankooks threw snow ALL OVER the place (some slight satisfaction as the vehicles I was pulling were usually completely covered) and eventually we were moving.

I was impressed, I've driven in snow with the stocker (sucked) and with some yokohama Geolander (sucked less than stock, but way more than these). I can only comment on those tires.

I miss CTX, are you still living there?

I miss:

Dixie Chicken
the football games
trees
nice people
Dixie Chicken
hills
Howdy's
Did I mention the chicken?

You won't go wrong with ANY of the tires mentioned in this thread, just go with what makes your truck look the best IN YOUR OPINION, because everyone on here has a different one, as far as performance... members will tell which ones NOT to go with, however if everyone comes on and says that their tires are great... that means they have no issues and that is a big gold star for that tire. Some cost more than others, some are a little more sexy than others... It's all about preference...

Good luck

Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by mwkatm
+1 for the Hankooks... I have more photos in my albums... Not that the others mentioned aren't great tires...

Mine are 285/65R18... I NOW have 3" level kit up front and 3" blocks in the rear and I wish they were bigger is all (installed before my lift)... I've driven almost 10K on them now. Handled GREAT in the snow and rain, low noise, and look sharp... Unfortunately I'll be getting many more miles out of them before they wear out and I can get some bigger ones.
This is my Problem too! Dadgummit, I really like these tires so far and if they are even close to as good as my Hankook Dynapro RT03 muds I had on my old truck they will be fantastic. I got around 60k out of my Hankook muds and they performed great all the way to the end. Hankook has made some huge strides with their new Dynapro line.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by mwkatm

I miss CTX, are you still living there?

I miss:

Dixie Chicken
the football games
trees
nice people
Dixie Chicken
hills
Howdy's
Did I mention the chicken?

Good luck
thats a pretty good list of some of the best things in college station. Love it here

Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I absolutely love my Michelin LTX AT2s. A single tire has a max capacity of 3305 lbs., has a max inflation of 80 psi, and there's no arguing that Michelin tread life is stellar. It is a very strong tire with a very smooth ride. The cons are that it really doesn't look as aggressive as some of the tires already mentioned, but then again, I would bet it is one of the quietest A/T tires you can get. Another knock on them is that they feel a bit mushy for my taste, even at 55 psi. I think softer sidewalls are to blame for the mushy feel, but it also promotes that silky-smooth ride. On ice and snow they are fabulous. Although they aren't the perfect tires for my tastes (may not exist), the LT AT2s are absolutely the best tires I have ever ridden on.

I am just going to say this quickly and run away, as some here will think this is blasphemy, but as far as pure bang-for-buck is concerned, it is really hard to beat the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. Sure, quality control leaves something to be desired - some Pirelli's are just out of round. But the Scorpions have good wear properties (got 60,000 out of mine, but they were ready to go by then), a really, really strong sidewall (very sharp response, and they can take a beating that might otherwise leave you stranded on the trail), and are very sticky on dry pavement, rain, and off road. They are not great on ice or snow, but serviceable. I really liked my Pirellis. I paid more than double for the Michelin's than I could have for four new Scorpions, but I honestly can't say that I have received double the performance in exchange (but if you ask me while I'm on snow or ice, I might say the opposite - it just doesn't happen that much where I reside).

Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by thejake1989
thats a pretty good list of some of the best things in college station. Love it here
There were many, many more... I've forgotten all their names... oh what fun...

Lubbock is flat, windy, dry... with miniature trees...

Folks ask if I'm a red raider now... I say nay... I am an Aggie who lives in Lubbock.

Nice truck BTW, looked at the transformation thread...

Hopefully if things go correctly, I'll be asking about some tires and stuff for me soon... hehe.. I'll craigslist these...

Quick Reply: All-terrain tire reviews