Tire suggestions for '08 Expy EL...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire suggestions for '08 Expy EL...

The wife's Expy needs new shoe's... we got 38K out of the OEM Pirelli's and they seemed to be decent tires. Wore a little faster than I would like, but not unusual for OEM tires it seems. They were rotated on a regular basis and wore out very evenly.

Shopping around, I found some Faulken's at a reasonable price at Discount Tire.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...12255&sw=false

Anyone have any experience with these tires? I've found over the years that more $'s on tires doesn't always net you more satisfaction with them... so I'm hesitant to spend the big bucks on Michelins or Goodyears if it's not going to be any better than these tires or the OEM Pirelli's.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have no experience with those tires, but load rating wise, they seem to be better than the Pirelli's, and if you tow, would probably be better.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickeymeanie
The wife's Expy needs new shoe's... we got 38K out of the OEM Pirelli's and they seemed to be decent tires. Wore a little faster than I would like, but not unusual for OEM tires it seems. They were rotated on a regular basis and wore out very evenly.

Shopping around, I found some Faulken's at a reasonable price at Discount Tire.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...12255&sw=false

Anyone have any experience with these tires? I've found over the years that more $'s on tires doesn't always net you more satisfaction with them... so I'm hesitant to spend the big bucks on Michelins or Goodyears if it's not going to be any better than these tires or the OEM Pirelli's.
I think Wandell is having a good experience with Falkens. I just took some off my truck well before the tread was gone due to the wet weather handling. They were dangerous on my truck. I felt like they could break lose at any time, and they did frequently. I may have had a bad batch, who knows. I just put on a set of Toyo Proxes ST II and love them. You literally can not tell the pavement is wet and they are smooth and quiet. Have no idea how they will last, but right now, I would not hesitae to buy more. Here are some pics of them.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...305-50-20.html

Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys... just found these... dang the price is tempting... good reviews but neithe person has many miles on them. Never even heard of Fierce...

http://www.kauffmantire.com/tires/35...oadref=reviews

Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Even on their website, I see absolutely nothing on specs, other than size. That would worry me as you have no clue as to whether the tire could handle your vehicle. After looking at the specs at Kauffmans, The load rating is a bit low for a 50 psi tie. You would have to run them at at least 40+ for your vehicle.

Last edited by kingfish51; 10-09-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 AM
The OEM Pirelli's are 44psi and 2,403 load capacity vs. the Fierce at 50psi & 2,575

I'm not an expert at this by any means and have no idea how that correlates...

Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Mickeymeanie
The OEM Pirelli's are 44psi and 2,403 load capacity vs. the Fierce at 50psi & 2,575

I'm not an expert at this by any means and have no idea how that correlates...
The Pirelli's were also at their limit. Also when used in a light truck application, take 9% off that weight limit. Your axle ratings are probably close to 4000lbs, maybe a bit less.

Trending Topics

Old 10-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I've had good luck with my Falkens. I just bought a new set. I had on seperate a couple weeks after may wife hit a drain pipe. I don't know if that caused the seperation or what, but they had right at 50,000 miles on them and still had a decent amount of thread left.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by wandell
I've had good luck with my Falkens. I just bought a new set. I had on seperate a couple weeks after may wife hit a drain pipe. I don't know if that caused the seperation or what, but they had right at 50,000 miles on them and still had a decent amount of thread left.
I had about 35,000 on mine and one was separating on the inside. That was why I went ahead and got them off.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Ended up ordering a set of Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus... on sale for $129/tire plus a $50 instant rebate. Look to be a good tire... higher load capacity compared to tires in the same price range. Only S speed rated, so the wife will need to keep it sub 112mph...

http://www.kauffmantire.com/tires/19...ef=&itemprice=

Old 10-09-2009, 05:22 PM
i just ordered fierce st tires today with my american racing trench rims. I too have never heard of them until i found out who they really are. They from what i understand were first made by kelly springfield tires. goodyear has owned kelly tires since 1935. in 2006/2007 goodyear introduced a perormance brand called fierce (www.fiercetires.com) which is the same thing. from what i understand they are made in Akron, OH. mine are 285/50-20 and they are 540 treadwear, A traction, B temp and H speed rated. and the load rating is 116 or 2750 lbs. Kelly is a good tire and since goodyear owns them they are a fine choice. and from what researched i have found about kelly and fierce tires is they are pretty damn good for the money.

also from what i have read some of the fierce tires for cars are molded after the famous goodyear F1 tires and are just as good at half the price. the place i made my order said from what they have sold they have heard no complaints and even though the treadwear is high they are softer then you think. they did say the kumho stx's are their hottest selling tire right now though so............

Last edited by THEVILLE89; 10-09-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire suggestions for '08 Expy EL...