Brake Lights Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Lights Problem

Hey guys I have a 2002 F150 and my issue is that the three brake lights are having trouble coming on when i press the pedal.

The truck stops when i hit the brakes but the lights dont come on until I really hit the brakes. I thought the brake lights would come on as soon as I hit the brakes but they dont.

I just want to be able to let people know I'm slowing down or am stopped without having to give them hand signals haha. I'm stumped on where to start with this problem

Any help or infor would be useful

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you need to adjust or replace your brakelight switch.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Cool Thanks your help! I'll look into that.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no problem man.

the switch is located on the brake lever itself, if you look youll see a big ol connector that plugs into it. ive never replaced one on a f150, but theyre normally fairly easy to replace.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM
well i played with the switich even got a new one since it was only $10 now they dont turn on at all.

I checked the fuses in the cab they all looked good and the light blubs even looked good too I'm thinking maybe i got a broken wire or a short circuit some where.

On a side not the Brake light switich once I opened the old one it had a burn mark in it and two pieces of metal weren't connecting like in the new one.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Lights

Originally Posted by croblesjr
I checked the fuses in the cab they all looked good and the light blubs even looked good too I'm thinking maybe i got a broken wire or a short circuit some where.
My 97 had a break in the wire back by the hitch the other year. Just quit one day and had to trace it out. Simple fix once you find it, just make sure you make the repair waterproof if that's what turns out to be wrong.

Paul

Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Alright so I got it done that switich was a breeze to exchange I needed it because when I opened it the box was burnt on the inside weird.

Besides the point the it turned out one of my wires was cut right there i just coudn't see it cause of the box of the alarm. Think the person who installed the alarm messed up the wire and just didnt say anything. needless to say things are working again. and only one wire needs to find a home lol

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 AM
I have a 2002 F150 XL and my brake lights does not work, although my third brake light does and all my other lights as well...I need help please

Last edited by FordChic40; 08-26-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Brake light

Originally Posted by FordChic40
I have a 2002 F150 XL and my brake lights does not work, although my third brake light does and all my other lights as well...I need help please

Seeing AFAIK the 3d light and regular brake lights are wired in parallel, I've got to assume you have a break in the wire somewhere between the cab and the back of the box. See my earlier note on where mine was, could be in the same area.

Quick Reply: Brake Lights Problem