Snow's Coming. Big or stock

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow's Coming. Big or stock

I have 35 x12.50/17 on my SCREW. Should I run these in the snow or go back to my stock wheels for the winter?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing to take into consideration is that wider is not better in snow. Narrower is.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM
put the stock tires back on. better in snow, and less chance of messing up a nice rim. salt is not nice to after market add ons.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lucky you have the choice to re-use OEM, i'd do it.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Tires

Narrower is better in snow, along with tread that cleans out well after passing over snow, along with cleats in the treads that will grip. I'm a firm believer in snow tires or mud/snow vs all weather tires. I've not been stuck with good winter treads on the truck

my 2 cents

Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM
BFG A/T's are GREAT snow/mountain rated tires. Why would you want to switch? Your Mickey Thompson wheels will be fine if you take care of them and the BFG's will be better than your stockers...

I'd run those over the crappy stock tires...

Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
BFG A/T's are GREAT snow/mountain rated tires. Why would you want to switch? Your Mickey Thompson wheels will be fine if you take care of them and the BFG's will be better than your stockers...

I'd run those over the crappy stock tires...
That all depends on where you live, BFG A/T are def not good snow tires in my neck of the woods. Up here we call them sexy tires cause thats about all there good for in the winter is looks.

Trending Topics

Old 10-07-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bor543v
That all depends on where you live, BFG A/T are def not good snow tires in my neck of the woods. Up here we call them sexy tires cause thats about all there good for in the winter is looks.
Unless your Canadian snow is made different than the US variety, I don't follow. I had a set of BFG A/T's on my '88 Ranger, and they handled anything Old Man Winter threw at them. I wouldn't hesitate to have them again.

I'll agree that narrower is generally better than wider for snow, but if you're talking wider A/T's vs. narrow all-seasons, I'd have to pick the A/T's.

I also agree with the salt vs. rim argument, though. Salt can work it's way into/under a scratch in the clear coat and get ugly real quick.

Andy

Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 PM
hmm i live 2.5 hours north of you and lots of ppl including me love the BFGs in the winter. They are even rated for severe snow conditions as this symbol on the sidewall indicates

Last edited by Paralyzer; 10-07-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
hmm i live 2.5 hours north of you and lots of ppl including me love the BFGs in the winter. They are even rated for severe snow conditions as this symbol on the sidewall indicates
I know they have a picture of a snowflake on them however I didn't like them much, I found them decent on ice and hard pack when they were very new but they didn't last long. We get a lot of deep snow in north west BC and in deep snow they just didn't have the traction nor in slush. I think it was due to the treads balling up and becoming slicks, they don't clean well. A lot of guys from were i'm from call them a sexy tire.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Unless your Canadian snow is made different than the US variety, I don't follow. I had a set of BFG A/T's on my '88 Ranger, and they handled anything Old Man Winter threw at them. I wouldn't hesitate to have them again.

I'll agree that narrower is generally better than wider for snow, but if you're talking wider A/T's vs. narrow all-seasons, I'd have to pick the A/T's.

I also agree with the salt vs. rim argument, though. Salt can work it's way into/under a scratch in the clear coat and get ugly real quick.

Andy
I'll help you follow...I'm referring to my neck of the because thats were I used the tires, I can't comment on how they perform in your neck of the woods cause I've never used them there. We get pretty grueling cold winters in northern canada, it's a little different than winters you get.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Snow is snow, and cold is cold. I've lived in North Dakota and Northeast Ohio: Both get anything from freezing rain to ice to slush, and from flurries to feet of snow in a wide range of temps. The AT's handled everything well for me.

Andy

Old 10-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I agree with you but........I used to think cold is cold until I felt -40 C with out wind chill

Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 PM

I agree with you but........I used to think cold is cold until I felt -40 C with out wind chill
Been there, done that (in the bomb bay of a B-52). Fun, fun, fun.

The first two winters I was back in Ohio, I didn't break out more than a fall jacket most of the season.

Andy

OK, back to tires......

Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I know they have a picture of a snowflake on them however I didn't like them much, I found them decent on ice and hard pack when they were very new but they didn't last long. We get a lot of deep snow in north west BC and in deep snow they just didn't have the traction nor in slush. I think it was due to the treads balling up and becoming slicks, they don't clean well. A lot of guys from were i'm from call them a sexy tire.
maybe so but anything that is good in deep snow such as a mud tire is going to suck on packed snow and ice, the BFG is kindof a comprimise between both. More agressive then a strict winter tire but not so aggressive they wont grip ice and hard packed snow. you cant have the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Snow's Coming. Big or stock