35s with just a leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35s with just a leveling kit

I'm looking at a new wheel tire combo. I have a 2005 4x4 with a 2-inch leveling kit. The wheels I'm looking at are 17x9 with 4.75 inches of backspacing and a -6 mm offset. The tires are a 35x12.5 (34.9 inches overall diameter). I'm obviously hoping there won't be rubbing here, but realistically I'm guessing there will be some. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how much rubbing I can expect. Also, where do tires typically rub? Control arms? The inside of the fenders? Thanks

Old 07-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Depending on the tire brand, toyo/bfg etc. will depend on rubbing. The bfg's in that size from what I hear do not rub at all. But the toyos in that size rub very badly. The side lugs pattern on the toyos is huge. I ended up ordering the 285 75 18 (35x11.50-18) toyo m/ts and never had any rubbing at all. Those measured up like 34.8" and because of the big side lugs looked plenty wide. Pics are in my gallery. Now the bfg's run narrower even for the same size. If you search on here you will find pictures of both and quickly see what I mean.
as for wheels I only have experience with stocks.. hopefully someone will chime in for ya there.

Last edited by Maxout05; 07-19-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cstanek
I'm looking at a new wheel tire combo. I have a 2005 4x4 with a 2-inch leveling kit. The wheels I'm looking at are 17x9 with 4.75 inches of backspacing and a -6 mm offset. The tires are a 35x12.5 (34.9 inches overall diameter). I'm obviously hoping there won't be rubbing here, but realistically I'm guessing there will be some. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how much rubbing I can expect. Also, where do tires typically rub? Control arms? The inside of the fenders? Thanks
Those wheel's will stick out 2 1/4 inches more than stock and will probably rub on the lower wheelwell's when making hard turn's especially when backing up an incline. I went with 17x8 wheels with 5 1/2 inches of BS to tuck the tire and wheel assy inside the wheelwell's to eliminate the problem. If you don't mind doing some hammering and trimming the wheelwell liner's and put up with a little rubbing you can probably live with it. I ran my tires on 17x9 wheel's with 5 inches of BS about 4k miles untill they aggravated me so bad I changed wheel's. Two other benefit's of wheel's tucked in are that there is less stress on suspension component's and the side's of the truck stay cleaner and less rock chip's.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Maxout05
Depending on the tire brand, toyo/bfg etc. will depend on rubbing. The bfg's in that size from what I hear do not rub at all. But the toyos in that size rub very badly. The side lugs pattern on the toyos is huge. I ended up ordering the 285 75 18 (35x11.50-18) toyo m/ts and never had any rubbing at all. Those measured up like 34.8" and because of the big side lugs looked plenty wide. Pics are in my gallery. Now the bfg's run narrower even for the same size. If you search on here you will find pictures of both and quickly see what I mean.
as for wheels I only have experience with stocks.. hopefully someone will chime in for ya there.
That's a good point. The ones I'm looking at are Pro Comp Xterrains. Judging from pictures, the shoulders on the Pro Comps and the Toyo Open Country M/Ts look pretty similar. So I guess I should expect to do some trimming. As for the mud, rocks, etc. this will be an excuse for me to get some Bushwackers. Just one more thing to make "the boss" happy.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
Those wheel's will stick out 2 1/4 inches more than stock and will probably rub on the lower wheelwell's when making hard turn's especially when backing up an incline. I went with 17x8 wheels with 5 1/2 inches of BS to tuck the tire and wheel assy inside the wheelwell's to eliminate the problem. If you don't mind doing some hammering and trimming the wheelwell liner's and put up with a little rubbing you can probably live with it. I ran my tires on 17x9 wheel's with 5 inches of BS about 4k miles untill they aggravated me so bad I changed wheel's. Two other benefit's of wheel's tucked in are that there is less stress on suspension component's and the side's of the truck stay cleaner and less rock chip's.
PawPaw is correct. While the width of the tire means alot, the wheel specs are more important IMO. Try to stay close to stock on width, backspacing and offset. If you go with a wider wheel than you have to increase the backspacing and offset.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I think I've seen it before, but what is the backspacing on the stock 18-inch (Lariat) wheels?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM
I am running the 17x8's with +18mm offset and 315/70-17's=34.6" and 12.7" wide and trimmed the front plastic on the bumper and little bit on the back and dont rub at all anymore.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cstanek
I think I've seen it before, but what is the backspacing on the stock 18-inch (Lariat) wheels?
7 1/2 inches wide with 5 1/2 inches of BS.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Paw Paw. And yes, wheel width and backspacing are as important to fitment as tire size.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks, all. This has been helpful.

Quick Reply: 35s with just a leveling kit