Question about replacing brakes on an 05

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about replacing brakes on an 05

I have an 05 F-150 screw and I have 3mm front and rear on my current brake pads. Ford quoted me about $700 for new pads, machine f&r rotors, and a brake fluid flush.

I am thinking about just replacing the pads by myself but I just want to make sure they're not too hard before I start to go at it.

1. How many of you have changed brake pads out by yourself and how hard is it?

2. Why does Ford reccomend to machine my rotors?

3. Is a brake fluild flush really necessary?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
if your rotors aren't warped which you would no if they were just do the pads. if you now what your doing it takes about 45 min for both sides. thats jacking the truck up and removing and removing the tires included

Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I just did the rears on my 04 and it was $40 for the pads and $12 a piece to have the rotors turned. Mine weren't warped but they did have some pretty good grooves in them. The rotors on the rear took a little work to get off. Doing the fronts next Friday.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 PM
If the rotors are not to worn you can just sand them down to get the glaze off. If they are worn and have grooves on them, then I would get them cut. The brakes are very easy on the front of these trucks. Should not take more then 1hr if you have done brakes in the past. Is the truck a 2wd or 4wd?

The backs can be a pain to get off. I had to loosen the e brake to get the rotors off. After I did this it was a breeze. Just get a BFH and you should be fine.

You can get Brembo OEM style rotors for around $50 each. So $200 for new rotors and another $140 for a great quality pad. About $340 if you want to get new rotors. Just make sure to lube the slide pins.

Yes the brake fluid flush would be something I would do. Brake fluid tends to collect moisture. I used the castrol LMA brake fluid when I changed mine. ( I do mine every 2 years)

If you have any question feel free to ask.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Dude you can go to your local parts store and buy new rotors and brake pads for a fraction of that price!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Like the chinese crap ones they sell at autozone and advance? Decent ones (Bendix, Rayesbestos) from those places are $80 per rotor. The brake pads are a different story. My prices reflect a top of the line pad. You can get good bendix pads for $50.

Last edited by niceasssupercrw; 01-10-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by niceasssupercrw
If the rotors are not to worn you can just sand them down to get the glaze off. If they are worn and have grooves on them, then I would get them cut. The brakes are very easy on the front of these trucks. Should not take more then 1hr if you have done brakes in the past. Is the truck a 2wd or 4wd?

The backs can be a pain to get off. I had to loosen the e brake to get the rotors off. After I did this it was a breeze. Just get a BFH and you should be fine.

You can get Brembo OEM style rotors for around $50 each. So $200 for new rotors and another $140 for a great quality pad. About $340 if you want to get new rotors. Just make sure to lube the slide pins.

Yes the brake fluid flush would be something I would do. Brake fluid tends to collect moisture. I used the castrol LMA brake fluid when I changed mine. ( I do mine every 2 years)

What did you use to lube the slide pins?

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Go to your local auto parts store and ask for synthetic caliper grease. Make sure you clean the slide pins first.

Last edited by niceasssupercrw; 01-11-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 PM

My truck is a 4x4.

Allright thanks for the input guys I just ordered a set of Wagner thermoquiet brake pads f & r from rockauto.com for $82 shipped and I'll see about the rotor situation after I remove the tires.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by silk05f150
I have an 05 F-150 screw and I have 3mm front and rear on my current brake pads. Ford quoted me about $700 for new pads, machine f&r rotors, and a brake fluid flush.

I am thinking about just replacing the pads by myself but I just want to make sure they're not too hard before I start to go at it.

1. How many of you have changed brake pads out by yourself and how hard is it?

2. Why does Ford reccomend to machine my rotors?

3. Is a brake fluild flush really necessary?

Thanks,

Tom
$700??? I hate dealer service shops.

All of the above posters are spot on, you can do this yourself for a fraction of the price not to mention the sense of satisfaction you'll get when the job is complete.

I am one of those types that uses the inexpensive Chinese rotors from the chain autostores in conjunction with CarQuest Blues. I have not had an issue with them yet. I'd be interested to see a side by side comparison between the premium and budget rotors on an identical trucks with the same pads. That would be bout the only thing that would change my mind.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You will like the ThermoQuiets. I have never turned my rotors and never had a problem. Now, if I were a shop warranting my work, I would probably try to sell the service too. But, the price of $700 is ridiculous.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
To answer your questions:

1) I have always done them myself, not hard but gotta remember a few trick points.

2) I've done a brake job with and without machining the rotors, I like doing it to true them up and have a fresh surface for fresh pads. It's cheap enough, why not.

3) Brake fluid flush to me is a waste of time. I just replaced my 2 front calipers on my 2000 because they all eventually get seized and replaced a whole lot of fluid with a fresh bleed. That bieng said, you'll get a flush one day anyways so not a big deal.

A tip: I use Anti-seize to lube the parts of the brakes. I put it, and not globs, just a coating so it doesn't fly off or risk getting on the pad/rotor surface. I put it on places on the pads contact the caliper and caliper bracket. On mine, the pads slip on the bracket and then the caliper goes over them. Another place is the threads of the caliper bolts. The caliper bracket bolts (the big ones) get blue thread lock- important! Really it's simple, gotta compress the piston of the caliper back using the old pad and a c-clamp squeeze slow. Get a Chilton or Haynes book just as a reference. Also, not sure how an 05 is compared to an 2000, but the steel sliders and anti-rattle hardware that come with the pads get anti-seize and the pad sliders you should fold the littlest tabs over so they don't move side to side on the caliper bracket, believe me.

As far as brands, you got the thermoquiets. You'll be happy as Jim (bluejay) amung many others speak highly of them.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:52 AM

You can get Brembo OEM style rotors for around $50 each.

Where can you get the Brembo OEM rotors for $50 ea.?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Brembo Rotors

I don't believe the $50.00 price, I see the post was edited. I would like to see a link to the website or store to get that price too.

I priced them out at http://www.brembo.com/ENG and it was a little under $400.00 for front and rear rotors. I think this is probably correct for the quality of the product.

Anyone found a link for a better deal?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P

Last edited by XL1200Ltd-Keith; 01-27-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Has anyone ever had to get drilled and/or slotted rotors turned? Is that even possible to do on them?

Quick Reply: Question about replacing brakes on an 05