Bad Vibrations - What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Vibrations - What is it?

Here's the deal. My wife's 2003 Expedition is driving me nuts. I cannot hardly stand to ride in it. Whenever she brakes medium to hard there is this bump bump bump bump bump, etc. sound - not really a feel but a sound as we come to a stop. I thought it was out of round brake rotors so I replaced both front rotors, calipers and pads, which did nothing to fix this problem. The thing has 65k on it. Tires are Continental orig. The rear rotors and pads are orig. and those brakes don't even look like they are working because I see so much rust on the rotors. The pads are still plenty good though.

Could this be a TIRE problem...this thumping noise when stopping.

Could it be a wheel bearing? I don't think so because the frequency of the thumping seems like its more tire diameter size than wheen bearing size.

I do all maintenance on this thing and my 97 F-150 but I really don't know what the hell this noise, sound thumping while on the brakes. She rides smooth, no vibrations at highway speeds.

Has anyone any advice?

(sorry for posting here, but I don't know how many read the Expy forms)

Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My crap General Ameritrac's catch small stones and makes the ride rough and it feels like i'm getting a flat, thats the vibration I get, goes away once you find the stone.. These tires suck!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Isn't there a TSB for driveline vibration?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 AM
How do the tires look? How many miles are on the tires? It is possible that a belt has come apart in the tire. Check your tread andsee if the tire has bald spots or places that don't look right. If a belt has busted that will make that kind of vibration. The rear brakes being rusty may also cause the problem. Some time this happens after a panic stop. Then graduates into a bigger problem.

Last edited by Milton Long; 09-04-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 AM
milton is right, do this check....

Quick Reply: Bad Vibrations - What is it?