Help Please.. What's wroing with this? Anyone see a problem with this idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they are 1.3 inches/

the have to be longer than the studs right?

that's pretty long. plus like I said, that's gonna push the wheel out pretty far.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MercedesTech
If you have someone who knows how to weld, I would talk to them about this as well. He will know the proper heat to use, and proper filler material. I haven't looked into it, but depending on what the actual material is of the hub, I would use the ole gas welder, with maybe some nickel filler. I think that would strengthen them enough to hold up. Talk to them though, let them see what thy are working with and they will probably know the best route to go.

Wheel spacers usually = early bearing failure. I have also seen axles broken on a "spaced" set-up. Generally its the bearings though, which can lead to all sorts of fawked parts in the end, and usually isn't and "easy trail fix".
I'm not too worried about a trail fix.

here are the adapers.

It looks like they are about 1"

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada.../5135-5550.htm

Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldnt think drilling new holes would provide much structual support for "heavy wheeling" and monster tires. I would trust a heavy duty spacer over that idea.

Just curious because I missed the other thread. You bought the wrong wheels right? Why not return them, or sell them and buy the right size? If they are brand new, you should be able to get what you paid if you cant return them.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 PM
hey man check it out, call procomp wheels at 866-232-0665 and see if they have any blank wheels to start with.

have you thought about just swapping out axles with say a 3/4 ton? i mean you're talking about alot of custom ..... go all the way

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM

dude just pick different wheels.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya crash's idea with the wheel blanks would be my first bet as well.

But for plug welding the hub and putting new holes in, I would say try to find a test axle first. I would think it would be fine but those hole patterns are pretty close together so I would be worried about that plug material cracking with all that stress there. But on the other hand if your welder buddy is good (assuming he is) then the welds should be stronger then the material surrounding material itself. On the other had the thing I would be most concerned with when welding is what the heat is going to do to the metal. How much warping is it going to cause after heating the hub up to make those weld? Just a few things to think about. (at least I have to take the warping of metals when welded into consideration with my line of work, so I am sure it is equally important for you're application.)

And I think I read somewhere in here about you possibly checking to see if you can just get an axle with the correct bolt pattern on it to fit, is by far the best bet. I would check the lengths and see if they fit, and if so just swap out the axles.

Not much help, I know but just trying to help.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by efuehrin
I'm not too worried about a trail fix.

here are the adapers.

It looks like they are about 1"

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada.../5135-5550.htm
In all honesty, it would be easier to just run the spacer. They look thin enough to not cause major problems. I have heard people complain about wheel shake afterwards as well, but this could be installer error. You can buy the adapter and be done with it. Might be the best way to go. But if you have buddies who are GOOD welders, and know their metal, then go the other route.

Originally Posted by rednoved
i wouldnt think drilling new holes would provide much structual support for "heavy wheeling" and monster tires. I would trust a heavy duty spacer over that idea.
Drilling new holes, then filling the old ones in would be fine. In fact, you get the right guy on the job, and I would bet he could make the hubs stronger by adding in a stronger metal into the holes, and heat treating the metal properly.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Drilling new holes, then filling the old ones in would be fine. In fact, you get the right guy on the job, and I would bet he could make the hubs stronger by adding in a stronger metal into the holes, and heat treating the metal properly.
Not true. If they have been drilled the structure has already lost a lot of its rigidity and hardness. You can fill the holes in with a stronger material and temper as much as you like, but just the fact that the original piece has been drilled outweighs that. This also could lead to balance problems, and a lot of other problems.

Honestly, one you get into the safety of this project... your going to find out you should have just picked different wheels. I would never waste my time doing something like this...

Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by rednoved

Just curious because I missed the other thread. You bought the wrong wheels right? Why not return them, or sell them and buy the right size? If they are brand new, you should be able to get what you paid if you cant return them.
No the problem is that they don't make the wheels in this bolt pattern.

Is is a pretty odd pattern, I think that F-150's 97'-03' are the only vehicle to have it.

There are other wheels available but none close to the ones I want. Only about 3-4 options in a black finish.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by efuehrin
No the problem is that they don't make the wheels in this bolt pattern.

Is is a pretty odd pattern, I think that F-150's 97'-03' are the only vehicle to have it.

There are other wheels available but none close to the ones I want. Only about 3-4 options in a black finish.
im confused. is this not them?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Xt...=PXA7005-29535
those are the same wheels right? 20x9.5. it says bolt pattern 5x135. Isn't that what you have?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 PM

rednoved, I know what your saying. You are in the same position I was in Friday when I ordered those wheels.

The thing is they really don't have those wheels. Neither does tirepackage.com

In fact I called procomp wheels and they have never even made those wheels in that bolt pattern.

Thats what ticked me off, they advertised them but don't sell them.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:55 PM

I called procomp and they said they never had made those wheels in that bolt pattern. He told me to get adapters. when I told him my concerns there he directed me to a company in CA that he has sent wheels to before that drills out the wheels to fit the desired bolt pattern. Well they didn't answer the phone. I'll call tomorrow.

I'm gonna ask them if they drill complete new holes or if they elongate the hole so it will fit. I think they would only have to move the hole by 2mm in on each hole.

So I talked to my machinest buddy.

He said that he could probably oval out the hole on the WHEEL to make it fit.
I'll be thats what the company in CA does too.

At first I thought that wouldn't work because i thought the lug nuts held the wheel centered. But the hub is what does that. (hub centric?)

He didn't like the hub drilling thing either. Oh well it was an idea.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Its one thing for 4wheelparts to list them and not carry them...thats normal for them to do that @#$!@. Whats worse is ProComp's website has them listed as being made in that bolt pattern...in several sizes too. And they told you on the phone they have NEVER made them...interesting
I hope you find a solution for it and guess I will take those off the wish list too. I was wanting the ones like those only with the chrome lip instead of all black...oh well

Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by jdlowesracer
Its one thing for 4wheelparts to list them and not carry them...thats normal for them to do that @#$!@. Whats worse is ProComp's website has them listed as being made in that bolt pattern...in several sizes too. And they told you on the phone they have NEVER made them...interesting
I hope you find a solution for it and guess I will take those off the wish list too. I was wanting the ones like those only with the chrome lip instead of all black...oh well
i'd try calling again and hope i get a different person.

have yall looked into the XD Series wheels? they are pretty common, but they look good. and i think they have the right bolt pattern.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Ok some new info.

I'm thinking that modding the wheels may be the way to go instead of the hubs. (I think a few of ya where hinting at that)

So if I get a 5x5.5 wheel I would have to machine the holes 2.35mm in to get it to fit the hub.

But, these wheels aren't hub centric. they rely on the lugs to center the wheels not the hub like the stock ones. So if I oval out the holes this would create a problem. But I also found out that they make adapters, spacers to put between the wheel and hub to make them hub centric.

Maybe that will work.

Still waiting on info from Inland Wheel Center(the guy's pro comp told me to go to)

I know one thing, I have decided to make this work.........somehow.

Quick Reply: Help Please.. What's wroing with this? Anyone see a problem with this idea?