Lots of brake dust from front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of brake dust from front brakes

I've noticed a ton of brake dust accumulating on my front wheels of my 07 supercrew. Anyone else noticed this and know what causes it?

Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 PM
everyone with a new ford will have this problem. dont expect the dealer to do anything about it either. your better off to just change the pads out with some ceramic ones or a good quality semi metallic like wagner thermo quiets.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats Ford's 'Bold Moves'= cheap pads

Old 12-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I have seen so many complaints about this and I have never understood it. Either you guys are extremely aggressive with the brake pedal or never wash your wheels. My 2006 Supercab never has brake dust on the wheels and I don't wash it that often. I consider myself a fairly aggressive driver. If you really want to expierience brake dust, buy a BMW. My 3 series dusts the wheels extremely bad, but it is a small price to pay for powerful fade free braking that soft compound pads provide. I have little faith in aftermarket brake pads.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I had to change my brake pads at 11,000 miles because of the dust. Do a search, you will find lots of discussion and the pads most use.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by SilverScab 5.5
I have seen so many complaints about this and I have never understood it. Either you guys are extremely aggressive with the brake pedal or never wash your wheels. My 2006 Supercab never has brake dust on the wheels and I don't wash it that often. I consider myself a fairly aggressive driver. If you really want to expierience brake dust, buy a BMW. My 3 series dusts the wheels extremely bad, but it is a small price to pay for powerful fade free braking that soft compound pads provide. I have little faith in aftermarket brake pads.
That's because you're one of the limited few who's truck doesn't generate much brake dust. More do then don't...

Enjoy your low dust factory pads.

Why so little faith in aftermarket brake pads? One or more of those aftermarket brake pad manufacturer's are the same manufacturer who made the pads that your truck was built with...

Old 12-02-2007, 08:18 AM
My dad has had some newer trucks lately, an 06 Harley, 07 Harley and an 07 FX-4 s-cab. I think the 06 had the dustiest pads, but all three weren't really noticed too bad. He drives like an old lady and puts ALOT of highwat miles on. He never washed them though either. I have seen enough others with black front wheels to say that they dust alot from the factory, the Escapes are worse still. BMW's are bad, really bad, as well as the new Cobra's. All you have to do is buy a better pad that works great and has no excessive dusting.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Brake dust

Originally Posted by Adam06FX4
everyone with a new ford will have this problem. dont expect the dealer to do anything about it either. your better off to just change the pads out with some ceramic ones or a good quality semi metallic like wagner thermo quiets.
Ford told me that the use of ceramic pads has brought about problems with rotor warp from to much heat. Any comments??

Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Askthechief
Ford told me that the use of ceramic pads has brought about problems with rotor warp from to much heat. Any comments??
I have no experience with ceramic, but many on this site run them. I use the semi-metallic Wagner Thermo Quiets mentioned in the post you quoted. They are a high quality pad.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the reply Jim. I haven't got much info on the ceramic brakes. All I know is that I'm real tired of the dust.
Jeff

Old 12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Global Moderator &

Thanks for the reply Jim. I haven't got much info on the ceramic brakes. All I know is that I'm real tired of the dust.
Jeff
I have about 50,000 on the Thermo Quiets and have had absolutely no problems and have a lot of pad remaining. I usually wash my truck every week but at times I will have to go 2 or 3 weeks due to weather. If I go that long, there will be a slight amount of dust on the fronts, but it's minimal. I originally intended to get ceramic but the guy at the parts store convinced me to go with the Thermo Quiets and I am pleased I did. I would not hesitate to go with the CarQuest Blues that so many on here have had good luck with. I think both are great solutions to the factory pad dust problem with great stopping and no noise or warppage.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I'll agree, that's why I got rid of my ceramics. They were more dusty than the blue semi-metallics I have now, stop about the same, but sounded like I was at a pig slaughter house every time I touched the pedal. Squeels all day and night they did, 2 sets of fronts and one set of rears before I called that spade a spade. All I wanted was no more noise, the having hardly any dust was a bonus to me. Semi-metallics with a good rotor work just fine, get ones with a warranty though just in case.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 AM

That's why I will be going with Powerslot Cryo rotors. No warping! I also will be getting the CarQuest blue pads (semi metallic) Really good combo from what I hear!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by SilverScab 5.5

Or there's another answer....you don't drive your truck all that much. I had a TON of brake dust from the OEM pads and then I switched to Carquest Blues. After a weeks worth of driving my wheels are still dirty as crap. It's called driving. I drive about 750 miles per week so I'm gonna see some brake dust.

Quick Reply: Lots of brake dust from front brakes