Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake problems

when applying brake pedal, truck feels like the rotors are bad. But had them checked out, sad they where still good. Any answers to this? Some said it might be the ABS system. Please help. This sucks bad.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Are you confident in the capabilities of the person that checked them out?
Were the rotors just eyeballed, or checked for 'true' as well?
Were the pads in good shape too?
Could you describe more what operating issues led you to think the rotors were bad?
Are you getting any ABS fault lights?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:54 PM
the guy at the ford place said they were fine. something tells its something else. it does not do it all the time. somedays it will go all day without doing it, then the next, it fills like the front end is about to fall off. i don't know.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:21 PM
I am questioning the "IT", that your truck does!

Eyeballing, rotors liik good. OK, but, are the pads crystalized? Makes them slick as snot and don't want to stop.

No grinding, squeeling, nothing?

Truck should stand on it's nose, IMO, when you slam on the brakes.

I might add that the ABS system will alarm you with a light if it finds any faults.

is this truck used to an easy braking person or a WOMAN. LMAO!

We need more info, or a more detailed explanation (best you can) for a better analysis!

Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
A severe vibration is a good sign that the ABS has activated - now the challenge is to determine whether it is a legitimate activation due to something it's seeing, or an unwarranted activation caused by a fault in the ABS system.

The ABS controller has the ability to produce fault codes. Not sure for your truck's generation how that works - for example, on mine, the RABS is a separate computer that requires a different reader than the standard OBD-I reader used for the powertrain.

Just for thoroughness - are your tires the same size and aired up to the same pressures? Any unusual braking (hard stops, slippery surfaces, etc.) when this occurs? If all is good here, suggest to get the controller codes read - perhaps other members can chime in here on the 'how-to'.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:35 PM
that was the first thing i did was check tire presure. the tires are not what came on there but i did reprogram for the size. and no, no noses from the brakes. and when you do apply hard on them, it will almost throw you through the window.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by 06F150STX
that was the first thing i did was check tire presure. the tires are not what came on there but i did reprogram for the size. and no, no noses from the brakes. and when you do apply hard on them, it will almost throw you through the window.
So, call me nieve, but, I would still like to hear from you. What makes you think the rotors are bad, or, you have a problem? I get the Left and right's not connecting at the same time. That makes sense. If that is just the case, bleed them out, change the fluid, check the sliders, and make sure your pads are not crystalized. They should be rough feeling, not smoothe.

Without seeing them, we will mostly be swatting flies in the dark. Well, I'm speaking for myself here mostly. Tires and pressure are obviously not a problem, if, your truck "stands on it's nose" when you slam on the brakes. I am still confused as to why you think the rotors are bad.

You may have a completely different problem. Can you please explain more as to what it does? The best you can?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 PM
to the best of what i can say, i can just lay my foot on the pedal and the frontend will start shaking. i didn't say that the rotors were bad, thats was the first thing that was sad to me. it seems to me as soon as the brake switch under the dash that is on the pedal is engaged, is when starts. the pads i have not checked. i'm not sure what all you would like to know, but i will try to give all you need to know. it only started a couple of weeks after i put the edge on my truck. do you think something is wrong with it?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 PM
You didn't say if they are original pads, if so, they might need changing. Mine did something like how you described before any noises etc., that kinda made me check and sure enough they were worn out. They didn't really make the truck vibrate like an earthquake would, but memory says they did a bit. How many miles on it?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:53 PM
If the rotors weren't checked for 'true', could be warped rotors - however, this shouldn't be an 'all at once' event. Worn steering components could amplify the effects of any rotor warpage. But again, this shouldn't have happened overnight.

The ABS actuation is pretty violent - about like a jackhammer feeling - you know that something is going on.

Perhaps try taking the Edge off - returning to stock tune or whatever - and see if that changes anything?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 PM
almost 60,000

Old 11-29-2007, 04:45 PM
well, i found the problem. come to find out, the guy at the ford place didn't check @%&#!$. the rotors are somewhat bad and the pads are slick as hell but alot left. to get me through the rest of the week, i took the pads off and roughed them up and roughed up the rotors a bit. doing alot better. tommorrow will replace everything.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Good Deal! and Good Luck!

Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Brake problems