Bad shaking, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad shaking, what to do?

Ok so i have an 06 f150 2wd with a ready lift leveling kit on with some 305-50-20 terra grapplers and 20x10 moto metal 951s. But when i get up to about 45 and 50 my steering wheel starts to shake really bad, like bad enough to where i have to slow down under 45, but it doesn't do it everytime so i dont know what it could be. Just bad balancing or loose nuts, what could it be and how could i get it fixed. thanks

Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 PM
hey hurricane, check to see if there are any loose nuts or bolts first, if there good, look into road force balancing. I have the samething going on but between 50-60. I havent had a chance to go get it road force balanced but will when I do.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Hope it's not a bad tire or wheel, but I would air up all the tires to whatever pressure you run and re-tighten all lug's and try it up to 40 to 50mph again. If it still shakes get it up on a rack and check front suspension component's and if OK get them re-balanced. This is a problem that will drive you crazy, hope you can get it corrected.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 PM
I had a nice shaking problem myself a few days ago and still have it, but it's due to a bad tire.

I went and got my tires balanced and rotated yesterday. They took the rear passenger tire off and looked at it and noticed that the tire was a little bad. They tossed it onto that little machine and noticed that the tire doesn't go perfectly round. Got to looking at it closer and noticed that the tire had some nice buldges on it and that sucks.

Oh well, I planned on getting new tires and rims as it is anyway. I might just get a new set of tires to hold it off anyway, but not totally sure right now.

Aside from my problem, I feel that you should get your stuff balanced and rotated. Are you getting the vibration in the steering wheel or throughout the whole truck?

If it is through the whole truck, might actually be a bad tire or rim. Which then again, could be suspension, but you can usually tell right off the bat when it's the suspension. You'd feel that as soon as you started driving at any speed or that is what I have noticed.

Hope you get that stuff fixed.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I had and still do have the same problem with my 03. I replaced a worn out idler arm and it greatly reduced the problem but it does still exist. I would do what the other guys are saying because I have never had a problem till the SSR's started to wear down and now I can do anything about it. Also check your idler, I dont know anything about the 04' and up so it may be diff.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Every time this has happened to me it's been tires out of balance, classic signs. Rotate the tires to the rear and see if you feel it in you're seat more than if they were on the front through the steering wheel.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:50 PM
I have 285/70/17 bfg at's on stock wheels and my wheel shakes at 60-70. This is the 3rd set of bfgs on my truck. The first 2 sets were 255/75/17 mt's and each set were out of round. Bfg offered to give me a set of any of there brand tires instead of a refund and I ended up with the at's in 285. Now the problem with these is completely different than before. These trucks ride like crap. I have paid my dealer to road force the last set and I guess I will have to have this set road forced at my expense again. Truck is 07 with 6k miles.

My bed is crooked, my tailgate squeeks like a old matress, and my wheel and seat shake like I am on a washboard while on the interstate. God I am glad I traded my tundra on this fine piece of work.

Please keep us informed on the outcome. I am not looking forward to taking mine back to dealer, but I can't keep driving it like it is.

Does anyone know if having 285/70/17's bfg at's and also a smooth ride is possible? Are the tires too big for my 07 f150 4x4?

Sorry to derail.

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Take it back to where you bought them right away and have them checked for roundness. I bet one is either OOR or wasn't balanced properly or at all. Don't put it off so the shop can tell you tough luck for waiting too long.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Any updates hurricane??

Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Well i went to discount just yesturday and the problem was good for that day or should i say just not as bad of a shaking on the wheel. But again on the way to my sat class, it did it again, but on the way home after it didnt' do it, so im not sure what to think right now. I think going to take it to Gary's hopefully on saturday to have them check it out and get a new alignment and see what they have to say about it, let you know how that goes.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:45 PM
alright finally got the problem fixed. I dont know why i waited so long do it but i got my front allignment done for the first time since i got the tires put on and everything was fixed. The wheel didnt vibrate and no weird noises up front. So we will see how long it stays like this.

Quick Reply: Bad shaking, what to do?