20's with OEM ride height ... what size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20's with OEM ride height ... what size?

I've spent the afternoon (on and off ... I'm at work) reading about the tire/wheel combinations the board members have used. There are some really nice combos.

Here's my problem. I have an '07 F-150 Screw with OEM 18s. I wear these in the winter months here in New England when I plow my driveway and trek to work on snowy days.

But, I wanted some 'bling' to wear during the April to December months. I decided on Chrome wheels and wanted some nice tires. I like the wheels .... 8.5" Radd RD3s (no big coin drop, but OK for me) and the shop hooked up some Goodyear Eagle GTIIs. The sneakers are 285/50/20s.

I tho't they would look great on the truck, but once hooked up .... they get LOST in the wheel wells ! They are only like 29" tall. I'm not happy with the appearance. I spoke with the shop and they will 'work with me' and said that some Falken 305/50/20s would be more what I'm looking for.

I'm not convinced.

My truck is not 'leveled'. It sits stock. I plan to leave it this way.

Can I run the Nitto TGs in 305/50/20s on these rims without rubbing, trimming, curling? And, will they stick out much? I'm not much of a let the tires 'stick out' club. 1/2 inch is OK, but that's about it. Another tire I'm considering is the Avon Tech ST ... it is not as aggressive in appearance as the Nitto's ... but, has good reviews from Tire Rack .. are the TGs and Grabber At's the same tire? I believe so. Another option might be the BFG ATs .

I don't want a loud tire, but appearance is something that I desire.

Thanx for helping me out.

Bagger

Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a 4x4 or 4x2? Sounds like you need to decide first if you want to go with a street truck look or an offroad look as you are talking about two completely different kinds of tires.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Do you have a 4x4 or 4x2? Sounds like you need to decide first if you want to go with a street truck look or an offroad look as you are talking about two completely different kinds of tires.
I'm sorry .... It's a 4x4. Hard to plow my 1/4 mile drive with a 4x2. Altho, it is down hill.

The street look is not what I'm looking for. And, altho I'm not running this truck 'off road' ... the more 'muscular look' is what I'm hoping to have.

Bagger

Old 04-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I'd add the leveling kit and go with an 18x9 inch wheel with a set of 325/60-18's (33x13.00). If you really want 20's, I'd suggest going with a 20x9 inch wheel and a 305/55-20 (33x12.50) tire. I'd try to find a wheel with 5.5 or 6 inches of backspacing. As for tires, I'd suggest the Nitto Terra Grappler, Toyo AT, BFG AT KO, **** Cepek Radial FC II, Mickey Thompson ATZ or Pro Comp Xtreme AT.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
I'd add the leveling kit and go with an 18x9 inch wheel with a set of 325/60-18's (33x13.00). If you really want 20's, I'd suggest going with a 20x9 inch wheel and a 305/55-20 (33x12.50) tire. I'd try to find a wheel with 5.5 or 6 inches of backspacing. As for tires, I'd suggest the Nitto Terra Grappler, Toyo AT, BFG AT KO, **** Cepek Radial FC II, Mickey Thompson ATZ or Pro Comp Xtreme AT.
Wandell .... Please excuse my ignorance, but why would I need a 'leveling kit' to run some tires? I posted that I wanted to keep the truck 'as is' without a leveling kit ... and add some BIG tires.

The Nitto Grabber/Toyo, the BFG AT KO are in the running. I've had the MTs and DCs before. These are too aggressive for my liking. I'd think they would make noise like a helicopter going down the tarmac.

Plus, I just spent $1600 on wheels and tires. I don't wanna 'off' the entire lot and purchase different wheels. The tires I can handle. I'm only interested in tires for these wheels.

So, I'm looking for these parameters:
1-I want to use the 20 inch 8.5" Radd RD3 rims that I have
2-I want a quiet tire for summer use on the street
3-I don't want a lift kit/leveling kit
4-I only use these tires in the summer months
5-I want to fill the wheel wells with a 32+ inch tire with meaty sidewalls

Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I would just go with a 305/55-20 tire then. The leveling kit would just make the truck look a little better.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanx for your help, guys. I went to the shop at lunch today. The guys were really helpful. Tim pulled out a few tires to compare with those that were on the truck.

I decided to go with the 305/50/20 Falken STZ04's. I liked the tread design and they look great on the truck. I agree that if the sidewalls were a bit larger .... 55s .... that would even be better. Maybe next time.

The tires are pretty muscular and ride soft. And, they were quiet on the highway, too.

The only charged me $75 to replace the 285s with the 305s. I think this is pretty good. There's a lot of work involved in doing this, didn't take them long tho. Maybe 30 minutes. Kewl, eh !

Old 04-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Bagger
The tires are pretty muscular and ride soft. And, they were quiet on the highway, too.
Pics???

Old 04-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by ameration
Pics???
I did take some photogs this afternoon of my semi-dirty truck with the new wheels/tires. They do look much better than the previous set up.

Unforturnately, after several tries .... I can't find out how to post a picture. Now, please understand ... I'm not that bright (altho, my mother did calle me Sonny from time to time). I'd think that doing a search "posting pictures" would give me some results. But, it did not.

Perhaps someone can point me to the directions regarding how to post a picture. I may be able to follow that, eh.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Had difficulty figuring out how to post. I'm a slooooow learner. Let's see if this will fly. Falken 305/50/20s mounted on Radd RD3's. For some reason I can only post one photo .... and the others are links. I tired.

Bagger

Old 04-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Looks good! I really like that Dark Stone color but it was not an option on the FX4.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanx. I actually wanted a silver truck, but the Lariat version did not sport one. Also, last year there was a color that I really liked, too. Silverstone? Something like that. It was VERY nice. But, again .... not available on the
'07 Lariat.

But, I'm now happy with the color. As long as it's CLEAN !

Old 04-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Bagger,

What kind of ride do you have?

I am asking this question because I have a 2005 4x4 with 18's. I want to step up to 20's. I only want to replace the rims and tires. After reading all of the feedback, I think the 305/55/20 will get me what I am looking for.

I spoke with the dealership and they told me to bring the truck in to them after I swap the tires so that they can reprogram my computer for the new tire size.

How is the ride and handling?

Old 04-24-2007, 03:34 PM
KCM ...

My rig is running 305/50/20s ... I tho't the 55s would be fine also, but I'm happy with what I have. Not sure 55s would be found easily. But, I don't know.

The ride is very good. At least a nice as the OEM 18s BFGs. I'd say they Falken's ride smoother, quieter than the OEMs. Handling is fine. At least as good as before.

I can tell you this .... I had some 285/50/20 Goodyear Eagles on the truck and I did not like the ride, handling or much of anything about it. Funny how a different BRAND of tire (and size) may effect these parameters.

Now, I don't have the TPS (? tire pressure sensor) belts on these 20" wheels. I'm not sure they would work anyway. I just click on the reset button when I start up the truck... sort of a pita, but I'm used to it.

I measured the OEM 18s against the 305/50/20s that I now have on the truck and they are nearly the same height (I think 31.5" tall), so the speedo should be pretty close. I know my gas mileage is the same. Sucks.

Bagger

Old 04-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the feed back.

Now on to the hard part, finding rims. I don't have a clue regarding this offset stuff. Now that is a real pita.

The A/T's that I am looking at say 9.5- what does that even mean.

So far, this is the only decision that I have made regarding the rims: Chrome and 20's.

Quick Reply: 20's with OEM ride height ... what size?