Mushy Brakes After Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mushy Brakes After Brake Job

My wife took our 2001 F-150 in for a brake job (surfaced the rotors and replaced pads). On the way home, she discovered that the brakes were very mushy and would just barely stop the truck. When she got home, I tried it and I literally stood on the brakes. I expected the anti-lock stutter, but the pedal went almost all the way to the floor, and I heard a "squish" sound when I applied the brakes.

I checked the master cylinder and it appears to be full. I also checked under the truck and there doesn't appear to be any leaks.

We're taking it back tomorrow, but I was wondering if any knew what they could have done wrong.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Sounds like you may need to bleed the brakes (get the air out of the brake lines).

Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Lightbulb Mushy brakes

Is cases when the rotors had been resurfaced with an rough finish (cause by a fast cut and/or a worn cutting bit) it may take some time for the brakes to have a 100% friction contact . It's call brake-in period!

A finer cut is better cause it reduces pad tranfer, leading cause of the annoying squeal. you can slam on your brakes (carefully of course) a few times. Do not cook them! If you take it back that's probably what they will do anyway...

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7516

Last edited by 99Txtruck; 04-02-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Mushy Brakes After Brake Job