FYI Watch out for P** B***

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Failed inspection for rear brakes not being equal. Took it to P** B*** for a free brake inspection. They said I need a complete brake job, rotors, drums, pad, shoes, wheel bearing, replace leaky rear clylinders, and other hardware. The price would be over $700 dollars. Told them thanks but I can't afford that right now. Took it home and look at the rear brakes. No leaks and the shoes looked almost new, manually adjusted and passed inspection. By the way I replaced the pads, rotors, and bearing about 10K ago. Watch out.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
And people call "stealerships" a bunch of crooks.

Another brake/exhaust chain, that wants you to "Trust Their Touch," wrote an estimate up for a friend's Chevrolet Malibu. Rotors, pads, calipers, drums, shoes, hardware kit, flush, wheel cylinders, everything except the booster and master cylinder to the tune of about $753. I pulled it down, put front rotors and pads on it, cleaned and adjusted the rear and called it done. A guy I knew that worked at the chain joked that they did "CPR" on every car that rolled in the door - Calipers, Pads, and Rotors.

Old 03-18-2006, 04:59 PM
You guys are totally right. My old lady got a call saying her 03 Sunfire with 26000 km's needed an engine vac, carbon cleanout, and a brake job. She scheduled the appointment and then told me. I told her that her brakes were fine, they were replaced just 2 months ago by me because they needed it. They told her this in the spring of 04. I told her to tell them what I told her and she yelled and now gets treated different. Like a doctor, get multiple opinions.

Old 03-18-2006, 05:02 PM
I ended too quick. My dealership experiences have been great. No B/S because they know I know what the f--- is what. I went there once and said my front pump seal is leaking on my tranny, they said what makes you think that? I said because they inspection plug was leaky and that seemed logical, plus my Dad told me. Sure enough. Also they told me they can fix things for this much or I do it, not pushy.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 PM
i took my truck into Burt Ford here in CO for a parking brake job, well they also wanted to do the front brakes as well because they ''were at their minimum drivability'' and wanted an extra $200 for it. gave them a big NFW and did the brakes myself. took off the pads and they still had half their life left. still did the brake job and replaced them with some Morse pads

Old 03-20-2006, 05:36 AM
Contact the Better Business Beauroro (how do you spell that one???) Let them know the fradulent business practices those guys have. That's total BS to be told you need 700 bucks in repairs when you don't....

Old 03-20-2006, 11:15 AM
The same place tried to but new rotors and pads on my last truck that had vented rotors and pads that were a week old.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately, the gray area between guys and girls trying to make a living is overshadowed by places that spit up your butt and tell ya it's raining outside. You have to be on your game or else they rape you. It's too bad that good people get a bad rap, and the ones who don't have to worry about job security are the ones screwing everyone. That puts alot of doubt into consumers who won't trust anyone, better business bureau, good call, contact them and the owner and stop this crap.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:20 AM
Last fall I went to the dealer to get an oil change and have them look at my loose front end befor I bought tires. The front brakes were getting worn so I had them replace front and rear brakes, turn front rotors, and replace idler arm and align.
When I went to the tire shop (I went directly there) they told me I needed an alignment and new brakes! I asked for A written estimate and they woulden't give me one because they said I needed to many new parts but labor would be around $700. I showed them the bill from the dealer for $300+ dollers dated that day. They didn't want to talk to me after that.
I sent a letter to the state attorny general but never heard back.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:34 AM
There's another party of fools, government- same people as the rip off artists. They all are in one big circle jerk.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Sorry for being stupid on this, but who is P** B***?

Old 03-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Pep Boys, those three antique guys that look like geeky stooges. I will say they had funny commercials, like when that guy brought his car there and was told he had 3 of his best guys on it right now. He was right, they were 300 plus pounds a piece and eating lunch on his front end. Laughed then and believe it's true today.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Pep Boys in Plano TX failed to replace the oil plug on my mom's forerunner and the engine seized. 3500.00 and a new engine later, the truck was never the same again. Couldn't prove fault so Pep Boys never paid. May all cons and ripoff artists slowly burn.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes, too easy...

I know just about nothing when it comes to auto shop. Reading this forum has helped out in many situations. Don't get me wrong, I am mechanically inclined, but I work on multimillion dollar jets. I have found that replacing the brakes on my truck is just way too easy to take it to someone else to do it. I would have to say that it is even easier than changing the oil (can hardly get the filter out, it's wedged in there somehow). As far as the rotors are concerned, the front I could probably figure out, but the rear... ain't got a clue. My rear left rotor is in bad shape (ground down by bare brake pads), but I haven't had a chance to get it in to be turned. If I could figure out how to take it off, I'd take it to the machine shop myself, but I'm gonna have to take it somewhere. Damn the bad luck!

I won't be taking it to PB in Plano, though, that's for sure!

Old 03-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
When I was young I took my old car to a muffler chain(won't say which because it was 30 years ago,except it was M****) as my tailpipe wouldn't pass inspection.

I just needed a piece of tailpipe from the muffler to the rear bumper to pass inspection.

Mechanic puts my car on the lift and invites me under.
He pulls out an ice pick and starts stabbing stuff.
From the tailpipe forward to the motor, poking holes in it and saying, "oh yeah, all of this has got to be replaced.".

I am flabbergasted as he pokes about eight holes in my muffler.
I just came in there for a tailpipe.

He told me if they replaced everything I would have a lifetime warranty.
I told him to get my car down!

Then I opened the glovebox and showed him my warranty from his chain covering the complete exhaust system.

He went into the managers office.
Then the manager called me into his office and kinda yelled at me.
He said they honor their warrantys but, they'd like to know 'up front' what they are working on.

I told him I just came in for a tailpipe and his mechanic started poking holes in everything.

I got a complete new exhaust for free.
I know they hated to put 200 dollars of exhaust work onto a 100 dollar car.

Last edited by Raoul; 03-21-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: FYI Watch out for P** B***