nitrogen filled tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nitrogen filled tires

Happy new year everyone. Has anyone filled their tires with nitrogen air? I filled mine up the other day with it but haven't driven it much to notice any differances other than a slight smoother ride but I think that is because of tire pressure, 50 front 80 rear with air down to 55 with nitro. all around. I would like to know the long term benafits or pros and cons?

Old 01-01-2006, 12:14 PM
the Equipment at work comes with Nitrogen. its in there for 2 reasons.
1. it doesn't aid a fire if the machine catches on fire. (these tires are up to 13 feet tall)
2. it doesn't corrode the steel wheels because it has no moisture.

On a personal vehicle it think its just a pointless gimmick. It wont hurt nothing except you wallet though.

Edit. When i fill my tires up with air i am putting 78% nitrogen in because of what the air is made of.

Last edited by lees99f150; 01-01-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Nitrogen is less susceptible to expansion and contraction than regular air, hence it maintains a more constant pressure.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Talking

It didn't cost me a penny so I decided to try it. It was done at Costco while my wife and I shopped. It took them about a half an hour. If it did cost I don't think I would of done it.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:20 PM
I think I heard some thing about this......

The tired dont oxidize as quickly, Not really a problem for most people

Pressure stays stable, there for you get a safer/smoother ride. Your tires last longer and you increase fuel economy. Its only by 3% in a semi-truck so I imagine its almost nil in a pick up

It eliminates interior wheel corrosion, again not much of a problem for most people

And it reduces running temperatures, which might be a plus if you did alot of heavy hauling or racing

Its also suppose to reduce pressure loss since Nitrogen permeates the tire 4 times slower then regular air.

I would say it would be worth doing, But I wouldnt spend much time or effort on it.

I obviously have no idea what it would cost, but if it was more then $20 bucks I think I would skip it.

Old 01-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, like Lee said, air is mostly nitrogen anyway.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: nitrogen filled tires