RL wheel locks up in cold, mildly slippery weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL wheel locks up in cold, mildly slippery weather

As the message says, my drivers side rear wheel will lock up when i gently apply the break. I notice it most on wet roads, all the way up to snow packed roads. It will only lock up for a portion of a second and then continue rolling-just enough to shake the truck a little. After the truck has been driven a mile with normal break usage, the problem goes away.

The entire pads shoes and rotors on the truck have been replaced about 18 months ago, which is about 6000 miles for me...

does anyone have an idea why this is intermittent, or have any suggestions where to start troubleshooting?

98f150, 80k miles, no antilock breaks.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you sure it has no ABS? I believe rear ABS is standard on this year truck and it sounds like an ABS issue to me.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear drums, I'm guessing?

If so, it's normal. The drum gets rusty.... rust is grabby. Common problem. Higher quality materials when you replace them will help.

-Joe

Old 12-28-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm pretty certain it doesn't have ABS in the rear, can they make ABS with drums?

Ok, well, thanks for your feedback GIJOECAM, guess I'm worrying over nothing. It has been rather salty and/or wet around here lately.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by frostby
I'm pretty certain it doesn't have ABS in the rear, can they make ABS with drums?

Ok, well, thanks for your feedback GIJOECAM, guess I'm worrying over nothing. It has been rather salty and/or wet around here lately.
Rear ABS was standard, 4wabs was optional. Yes, they can do ABS with drums... have been for decades.

Just thinking out loud here.... it could also be caused by gear oil contaminating the brake linings and drums. At any rate, it's worth pulling the rear wheels and drums off to take a look. An inspection can't hurt.

-Joe

Old 01-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Pull the Drum!

ABS does not require a disk to function. I'm guessing also that you have drums. I'm further guessing that if you pull the side that is locking and compare it to the side that is not, you will find the the dust/powder residue will be thicker/clump together and be a slightly darker color. Check to see if the axle seal is leaking or the wheel cylinder is leaking. You will need to use a small straigh screwdriver to lift the wheel cylinder covers. If fluid runs out replace/rebuild as necessary.
David

Quick Reply: RL wheel locks up in cold, mildly slippery weather