Storing Factory Rims & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Storing Factory Rims & Tires

I'll be pulling my factory rims & tires off my new F-150 in the next few weeks -- I have a new set of aftermarket rims & tires all mounted-up and ready to go! The factory set-up should only have a few hundred miles on them, and I figure I'll throw them up in my attic in case I ever need them again.

The question I have is whether it would be best to store them inflated or deflated? Should I lay them on their sides, or just stand them upright in their "normal" orientation? Or does it even matter?

Old 07-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Store them inflated and on their side, not on the tread.

Edit 04:27pm - Here's some info from Continental. Other manufacturer's say basically the same thing.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...torage_en.html

Last edited by kingfish51; 07-11-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I used to move furniture during the summer I noticed that most people stacked them aired up with a piece of blank cardboard between each. I have no idea as to why but that was the massive majority. I'd say thirty-five of forty or so people who had stock rims and tires going with them.

My only assumption is the cardboard is to prevent one tire from slipping and rubbing the wheel beneath it

Old 07-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Lightbulb

You need to do a couple of other things also. Must be stored away from sunlight. And the bottom set needs to be off the ground. A milk crate or something like that would work well. Sun light will dry them out and cuase them to crack. Concrete or dirt floor will do nearly the same thing over time.

Scotty

Old 07-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Store them inflated and on their side, not on the tread.

Edit 04:27pm - Here's some info from Continental. Other manufacturer's say basically the same thing.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...torage_en.html

cool, thanks for the tip.. i'm in that same boat. i'm storing my stock ones JUST IN CASE!

Quick Reply: Storing Factory Rims & Tires