BFG Radial long trail or Bridgestone Revo's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BFG Radial long trail or Bridgestone Revo's?

Hey all,

I am sure there are plenty of posts in here regarding what tire is better thatn what or which is a better tire, so let me be among the countless others and throw in my question:

I have on my '99 F150 4x4, Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 265/70/17, Which could be original (I am guessing only becuase this is what came on the truck when I bought it in 2001). The tread is getting low and I am getting myself prepared for haing to shell out $500 + for tires.

With know that the cost will be as mentioned above, and hearing 2 different local sources what kind of tires to get, my question goes out to my fellow F150 family.

1. Which set should I Go for.

2. How long, approximately will they last (not know how long I will keep the truck before going for another F150)

3. Does the $17 difference in cost matter that much in relationship to the cost/overall performance of the tires?

The Revo's in my area go for $143.99 installed w/o tax
the Radial Long Trail T/A's go for $126.99 installed w/o tax

PLEASE be honest and not biased (excuse the pun), I really would appreciate good, sincere and honst opinions here. I can go either way on tires but also want to make the right choice and also I need to bring all pertinant info and a valid selling point for whichever tire to my wife who happens to not only be the only source of income but also is a Director of Finance at her job. This said, anything of value needs approval cost wise as well as value.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:24 PM
I've only read bad reviews on the BFG Long Trails. I don't recall specific complaints but I think poor handling, esp. in wet weather, was the major issue. Couldn't tell you any more specifics...but it's mainly the reason that I didn't go with them and went with the very popular All Terrain TA.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:32 PM
go with BFG's if possible go with all terrains. DO NOT get Revos. I have had a set and a buddy of mine had a set. Neither of us got 30,000 out of them (rotated regularly). We both went and got BFG AT's. He has already gotten another set after 75,000 miles and I still have mine. Rock on Dude

Old 04-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the BFG LT TAs from the factory on my 2000 F150. I was not impressed. The dry traction was great but at anytime the road was wet it was sliding city. They also were very weak, any tiny screw nail would go right trough. I had about 2 patches in each tire after 30k. At that point the tires were 3/4 used and started to wear uneven. When I took the tires off the rim they felt like used condoms, I could fold them up with one hand.
I think there are better tires out there for U$140.

Fritz

Old 04-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Tires for F-150.

Have owned BFG Long Trails and Currently have Goodyear Wrangler ATS 17 inch tires. Only have 32,000 miles on the Wranglers and need to replace them. Am now doing research to find the next best tire for my truck. The BFG Long Trails wear well but I did not like how they slide on sand or ice surfaces, likewise the Goodyear Wranglers are not the greatest tires off road. After searching the net for several hours, I found a site that has all brands of tires and consumer comments that really opened my eyes. I once said I would never buy Firestone/Bridgestone tires but quess what -- the consumer who has purchased the Bridgestone Revos are the only group which rated this tire accross the board as great - both on and off the road. This will be my next tire, they have a 50,000 mile mileage rating.

Also, another note. If you are going to upgrade your F-150 be sure to look at the manufacture date. If it is manufactured close to the end of the year it is likely that you will get some of the next years goodies on your new purchase. Mine is loaded to the tens and has everything the 2002 has.
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercrew Lariat Off Road Package, 5.4 Auto

Old 04-22-2004, 01:08 PM
I have the BFG Radial Long Trail TA's from the factory on my 2000 Lariat. According to the odometer, I have 66,000 and still have over half the tread left. They do break loose easily on wet pavement, but then again, even on driy pavement, if I stomp it from a stop, I can break them loose ... something about very little weight over the rear tires.

Larry

P.S. Unless you have tires with spikes, any tire will slip on icy surfiace.

Last edited by larryp; 04-22-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Talking Tires for F-150 Long Trail vs Revo

This is an add on from my earlier message. Check out 1010tires.com. Select 'Selecting a Tire', then annotiate vehicle info, Size, and then Brand. Once you click on brand a window will pop down -- choose Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo Tires and then view customer reviews. Do the same for BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A Tires and Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. The reviews paint an unbiased picture because they come from the users - like us. By the way, locally the tires are cheaper - from the Firestone Store the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo with UNI-T AQ/AQ Package P265/70R17 are 158.99 each. Good Luck!

2001 F-150 Screw Lariat 4X4 Off Road Dark Green & Gold
5.4 Auto

Last edited by Merton Leeper; 04-22-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:23 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a note: you are comparing a highway all-season tire to an all-terrain.

That said ,take a look at Tirerack's user survey database for Highway and All Terrain tires. Just keep in mind that most people that buy truck tires, only buy one set, maybe two so they hae very limited experience comparing the options.

The BFG Long Terrains are not very highly rated, but the Revos are for their respective catagories. I had Revos on my last F-150 and loved them for the 10k miles I still owned that truck. When I got my new truck, I purchased the BFG AT KO because of its enormous fan base and size selection. I'll just sum it up as I wish I had stuck with Revos.

SlvrBltOffRoad, If you only got 30k miles out of a set of Revos, you either drive harder than most people or there is a problem with your truck. Regardless, they have a 50k mile pro-rated warranty which should get you some money off your next set of tires.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Thumbs up

I have the same size tires as you and opted to go with the Bridgestone Revos. They are excellent all around tires. They are a little stiff from the large sidewalls, but besides that, I have no complaints. Would definitely buy them again.

Old 04-23-2004, 04:53 PM
I had the Wrangler ATS's from the factory and got 67,000 trouble free miles and wasn't impressed but not disappointed. They are after all "All-Terrain" tires. Ipulled my bass boat 94 miles in 8" +/- of snow and didn't have a problem. I went with the BFG ATs' this time because my local shop had them for 125.00 apeice and I can't complain about them either. Granted I don't take my trruck muddin' every weekend or test it to the limits offroadin', but when I need to get to my deer stand or pull some else out I don't have any problems. 90% of tire purchases are personal preference. Anything taht is mass produced is going to have some products with flaws. That's with anything you buy.

Old 04-23-2004, 09:49 PM
I've had my Revo's for about 9 months now and they are unbelievable!! My buddy has a Dodge Ram with brand new Rancho 9000 shocks and Mastercraft tires and I have to say that my truck handles ten times better than his does and I have the original shocks in my truck. With 139,500k on the odometer, these tires made all the difference in the world. We had a pretty snowy winter up here in the northeast and I only put my truck in 4 wheel drive 3 times. Go with the Revo’s, you won’t be disappointed.
Just my $.02
Thanks

Old 04-26-2004, 06:44 PM
I drive 50-60,000 miles a year, in all kinds of weather and on all types of roads. I have tried MANY tires in the 265/75-16 size and will tell you in no uncertain terms that the BFG LongTrail TA is quite possibly the WORST tire you could put on your truck . . .

1. BFG LongTrail has average'cheap tire' traction in the dry, less in the wet and less still when it is both cold & wet and NONE in the snow & slush

2. BFG LongTrail will cause your truck to 'wonder' around the road a bit (unstable) for the first 2-4,00 miles of it's wear . . . just a little un nerving . . . I was checking infaltion rates an doing every change possible before the "broke In"

3. BFG LongTrail will last a good long time (I replaced mine at 50k and they still had plenty of tread) . . . but that just means that you'll have a longer time to regret your purchase decision

I do like the BFG All-Terrain KO but they could be better at on road wet traction for my taste

BY CONTRAST, the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo is by far and away the BEST TIRE I have ever run . . .

1. Great dry handling & ride . . . quite too.

2. impressive wet traction, Damn near as good in the snow & slush as a true "winter" tire

3. 50,000 miles is no problem and I often drive like I'm in a sportscar, ie heavy braking and to fast for many corners

the Revo is just unbeatable and well worth the extra $17

Quick Reply: BFG Radial long trail or Bridgestone Revo's?