Sqealing brakes/makin me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sqealing brakes/makin me crazy

I need some help. My brakes begin to squeal when Im stopping from about 25 mph. They get louder if I happen to be turning at the same time going around a corner. Then after I let off the brakes and continue turning they still squeal until I reach about 20 mph. They only seem to do this when they start to get a little warm, but when I use them very lightly they dont seem to squeel for a little while. I dont know what the deal is, can someone help me.
Brett
Englund80@msn.com

I have a 2000 F150, 4x4, 5.4, 4wheel abs.

Last edited by Brett englund; 03-31-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:16 AM
are they new? Is it the front or the rears or both? Do you have a lot of brake dust on the wheels all of the time?

Old 04-01-2004, 03:10 PM
The pads are new,and were put on by the Ford dealership. I just bought the truck last week. I think it is in the front, and I havent had the truck long enough to see a noticeable amount of dust.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:03 PM
They might have padded it without turning the rotors. I would let them take another look at it and see if they can correct the problem. There are lots of ways to do brakes and make them squeek. ( not replace the shims, no anti squeek compound, glazed rotors, not lube the caliper slides) the list goes on. Mayhbe someone was in a hurry and did the job quick and dirty.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:47 AM
check to see if the master cyl. is filled all the way to the top this can cuase a hydraulic lock and hold the brakes on alittle. it should be right at the max line and not more than an 1\8 inch above it.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:37 PM
I went ahead and took the wheels off and looked at the rotors today and they didnt turn them. So I took them off and had them turned and they still squeeled. How do you lube the caliper slides?

Old 04-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-04-2004, 12:57 AM
Caliper slides are behind the rubber boots on the calipers. Remove the bolts and lift off the calipers. Pull the slides out( the boots hold on to a lip and will pull of easily) wipe them down to remove old lube and dirt. Use just a little high temp grease of antisieze ( I put a small dab on a finger and rub it on the slide) then reassemble. Might be a good time to put some anti squeek compound on the backs of the pads if it hasn't been done yet.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:42 PM
I dont know what to do now? I have done everything yall have said, taken the truck back to the ford house twice, and they still squeel. What do yall think about getting another new set of pads(aftermarket this time) and turnign the rotors again. And maybe trying to rebiuld the calipers? I would appreciate some advice/suggestions.

Brett

Old 04-16-2004, 02:05 AM
have you took it back to the dealership and told them how your new brakes squeal? if they did brake work and its squealing right after they did it the need to either find out whats wrong or even fix it if its something they did.

i wonder if they used motorcraft or ford pads, or maybe they called napa and got the cheap ones and charged you more for them. there is a chance you just got a bad set of pads, or they didnt clean and fit them properly. they should have a 12 month 12000 mile warranty on their work.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Just took the truck back to the dealer and they said they cant figure it out, and they want to put new rotors on and pads, again. I dont want to spend 450 bucks for them to do it, and then have the squeel come back. So I have ordered some Brembo rotors and EBC 6000 pads. Do yall have any suggestions before I put these on.

Brett

Last edited by Brett englund; 04-22-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Did you put anti squeel grease on the backs of your pads? That's always solved my problems in the past. Personally I wouldnt spend the money on Brembo stuff. Trying sanding the brake pads to make sure they arent glazed or anything. The squeel is cause by some sort of vibration in the caliper when you apply the brakes. It could be that some of the hardware might be worn out. I have a 98 F150 4x4 and there are two thin metal "tracks" that the ends of my brake pads slide on. Check to see if those are worn out. Get a can of brake parts cleaner and clean the everloving crap out of your calipers. Unless the Ford dealership gave you some cheap pads, thats all I know to tell ya. Personally I would take it back to the dealership and demand them to fix it. They "should" stand behind their work. Just ask to speak to the manager and not some sap that cant make a decision.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Yes I have done all of that and I know I can take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it, and they will for a price. I have already dumped allot of money into the brakes and they just want to start over, and do it all again. I dont have allot of money left to spend on this being a college student and only being able to work about 35 hours a week. So if I can do it my self I will.

If the hub assembly was going bad would it make these noises?

Brett

Old 05-04-2004, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't think that the hub assembly would be going bad. I think you would notice it at other times if it were. Not really sure what to tell you partner. Personally I would "make" the dealership stand behind their work. If you just bought the truck and this is a problem, go talk to the guy who sold you the truck and tell him he sold you a piece. If you paid for the work after you bought the truck, ask to see the shop manager. If he doesnt help, find his boss, and so on. New brakes should not squeel period unless there is another problem with the truck. Reading back and remembering that you said sometimes you apply the brakes and they squeel after you let off. That sounds like a slow caliper. I know my truck is having a problem like that. Make sure your wheel is on tight, the wheel does hold the rotor upright.

Quick Reply: Sqealing brakes/makin me crazy