Michelin LTX M/S or BFG ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Michelin LTX M/S or BFG ?

Ok I am in the market for some new tires for my 98 f150 flairside 4x4 and I want a little more height so I have been told I can put up to a 285 without any rubbing. First is this correct? (I do have the offroad package) Second I was going to get BFG tires but didnt know what kind would fit a 285 and stock 4x4 rims but then I heard alot of people praising the Michelin LTX M/S what do you guys think? All opinions and corrections of my assumptions listed above would be appreciated.

Old 05-28-2001, 10:34 PM
Well, first of all, the 285's will fit on a stock 4x4 fine with no rubbing. TONS of people are running that setup and have no problems. As for the choice of tires, the LTX M/S is NOT an all terrain tire. It is a street tire, but a damn good one, possibly one of the best. MY dad had those on his four-runner and they lasted for a very long time - GREAT in the rain, and i believe he got 70,000 out of them (all highway). If you are looking for a tire that will be able to take you off the road , then i would go with the BFG All-Terrain. Great AT tire, and people are getting 40- 50,000 miles out of them.

Hope this helps,
Hunter

[This message has been edited by Hunter4X4 (edited 05-28-2001).]

Old 05-30-2001, 11:18 AM
Well Hunter I dont go offroading very much but I do get alot of snow here in MI, should I go with a BFG AT? or stick to Michelin's? If I do go with BFG which kind do you recommend? And aprox how much will they cost me?

Old 05-30-2001, 04:03 PM
I dont know if you've considered this, but if you'd like to stick with Michelin's great ride quality, check out their LTX AT or Traction XPS. They will both give you better traction in snow and whatnot, while maintaining a better ride than a BFG All-Terrain would...Now, dont get me wrong, BFG AT's are perhaps the greatest AT tire out there, but the Michelin will hvae a slight edge in ride quality. Just for knowledge, MIchelin owns BFG...=)

Old 05-30-2001, 04:05 PM
I almost forgot...
You asked what kind of BFG you should go with...

BFG makes three basic tires that you might be interested in...
1. BFG Long Trail...radial tire made for the highway, but yet has enough AT traction for your snow/mud.
2. BFG All-Terrain...Perhaps the best AT tire on the market. Great traction, great looks!, and pretty good ride. More traction than the Long Trail.
3. BFG Mud-Terrain...Good tire, but more for mud than you'd probably want.
That's it in a nutshell kinda=)
Ben

Old 05-30-2001, 04:44 PM
LTX are far better for on/offroad use. M/S get better mileage than A/T by 1-2mpg. Largest size is a 265/75. BFG not a bad tire but they hum on the highway and not as good on paved roads. They also don't do that well in snow, but they will tear up dirt! If you want 285's then go for the BFG otherwise the Michelin man is the way to go. If you choose the 265's Michelin A/T they won't give up anything offroad that a BFG will do.

Old 05-31-2001, 10:19 PM
Cool

I ordered 255/70R16 Michelins LTX M/S today to replace the Firestones with only 200 miles on them. (Bought the Mountaineer on Saturday and the recall came 2 days later. )

Did end up getting them via Ford. There was a dealer who had them in stock and would sell them for $162 incl tax, balance and mount, but that means a $32 per tire charge times FIVE. Just as well wait and get 'em for no charge.

Personally, I would much rather have just not had any probs with the Firestones and kept them on the vehicle.

------------------
2000 F150 Harley-Davidson: Superchip, K&N FIPK
Hard Tonneau, Hidden Hitch, 2-Meter Rig (KG0UK)
Motorcycles: '99 FLHRCI, '95 XLH, '65 305 Dream

Old 06-01-2001, 11:26 AM
Hi all,

I had the LTX M/S tires on my 98XLT(4x2). Loved them. They were great on snow and wet roads, and very quiet. I think these are the best tires to have.
On my new truck 01XLT(4x2), it came with BFG long trail's. These are good tires tires but louder than the LTX M/S's. They don't hold the road as well, wet or dry. But they are much better than the crappy Wrangler AP's Ford used to put on as stock.

My point, if I had a choice, go with the LTX M/S's. I will be replacing my current BFG's with LTX M/S's when the time comes.

------------------
2001 F150 XLT Supercab Flareside "Sport"
Black
Smittybilt step bars
puddle lamps
Ford logo brake light hitch cover

<A HREF="http://members.home.net/deep6blue" TARGET=_blank> </A><A HREF="http://www.empiremotorsports.com/Html's/Hitch%20Covers%20-%20Order%20Page%203.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>

[This message has been edited by deep6blue (edited 06-01-2001).]

Quick Reply: Michelin LTX M/S or BFG ?