tire problem w/used/ STX F150, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tire problem w/used/ STX F150, anyone?

I bought my truck in December of 2000. It's a '98 F150 XLT with the STX trim. This trim gives 17" wheeles and Good Year Eagle tires. From day one I've had some vibration at highway speeds. A few weeks after I got the truck I had a problem with a tire and got the dealership to replace one. I bought one too so I had two new tires. I still have the vibration. Before I go and replace two more tires I figured I'd come here. My question is: has anyone who bought a used truck, in particular one with the STX trim, had a problem with the tires? I know this truck sat on the lot for about a year before I bought it. (I am a regular at this dealership. I had bought a 2000 Ranger from them, the truck was there at that time. I traded the Ranger for the F150, due to the lack of power in the Ranger.) I'm thinking the problem is due to the amount of time the truck sat. Anyone had a similar experiance?

Tom

Old 05-10-2001, 06:36 PM
You might try rotating the tires and see if the vibration changes, like from the steering wheel to the seat. Another test would be to replace a tire at a time with the spare and see if the vibration changes. If it is a tire then this test could help figure out which tire it is. If the vibration remains the same no matter what then I'd suspect something other than the tires.

Old 05-10-2001, 06:38 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Lower the air pressure in the front tires to 30 psi and try it at vibration speed if it goes away then have the fronts balanced. It worked for me.

------------------
1997 F-150 XLT 4.6 REGULAR CAB, FLARESIDE PACIFIC CLEARCOAT GREEN 5-SPEED. WESTIN NERF BARS, POWER EVERYTHING,BUG SHIELD, EX-TANG SOFT COVER, BED LINER(FORD).

Quick Reply: tire problem w/used/ STX F150, anyone?