Rear Brakes Lock Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Brakes Lock Up

My truck mostly in the mornings after a cold night, the rear brakes lock up with just the slightest touch of the brakes. You can be doing 80 Kmh and the will lock up on dry pavement. I took off the wheels the shoes are fine lots of meat. I have been told that its because they are metallic pads, but it only started doing it halfway through the winter??? Someone help me it is anoying, although it goes away and they are fine when warmed up. Also does anyone know what it would take to convert to rear disc?? I have ABS right now would I be able to keep that??

Old 03-06-2001, 08:55 PM
I have a 97 4x4 super cab lariat package and mine does this as well. It's not when I just touch the brakes but I though antilock brakes would never lock up. Don't most $30,000 trucks come antilock brakes?

------------------
Thanks.
- Jay

Old 03-07-2001, 11:22 AM
The anti-lock brakes work when the wheels slow down at different speeds. Your problem, and the problems will all of our trucks that have rear drum brakes is that in the mornings, there is a small amount of rust on the drum contact surface, which causes the lock up. Try riding the brakes, real smooth, while backing out of the driveway. That should clear away the rust so that the first time you need to stop normally, you won't get a lock up. hope this helps.

------------------
2000 Silver F-150 XL Sport
Reg. Cab, Reg. Bed, 4.2L V6, 5-speed, 4x2

mods:
Tailgate lock, Generic bedliner
285/75r16 BFG AT ko (33.1x11.4)
Sony CD player, Blaunpunkt 5.25" speakers
Crimeguard alarm, Power locks
---------------------
Never let your schooling interfere with your education --Mark Twain

Old 03-07-2001, 08:33 PM
there a updated rear brake shoes for this problem

Old 03-15-2001, 05:01 PM
My rear's lock up while it's sitting there!! I hop in the truck after a day or 2 and I drag the *** end around for a couple feet untill a clink comes from the rear end and it free's up. This is only when I had the parking break on and released it.

Old 03-18-2001, 06:46 PM
Old 03-22-2001, 05:48 PM
Had the same problem, took it too the dealer, and they put a new emergency brake cable, and regreased the rear end, i don't know why but it worked!!

Old 03-22-2001, 08:52 PM
Talking

there's a technical service bulletin from ford on this issue. Read on; I've posted it here. This is what your dealer doesn't want you to know.

Rear Brake Drum Grabbing When Cold
Article No.
99-10-7

06/01/99

BRAKES - REAR DRUM - GRABBING DURING FIRST
FEW BRAKE APPLICATIONS WHILE BRAKES ARE
COLD

LIGHT TRUCK:
1997-1999 F-150

ISSUE
A grabbing condition from the rear brakes during the first few brake applications after extended humidity exposure may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by a rear brake lining that is sensitive to humidity exposure.

ACTION
Replace rear brake linings with revised Rear Shoe Brake Kit (F85Z-2200-AA). Refer to the appropriate model year F-150 Workshop Manual, Section 206-02 for service details.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

F85Z-2200-AA Rear Shoe Brake Kit

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

991007A Replace Rear Brake Shoes 1.2 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
2200 49

OASIS CODES: 301000, 702200

Old 04-11-2001, 06:59 PM
Wink

Damn rear brakes! My 93 xlt did the same thing. Now I've got this 97 lariat and it's even worse. I've got a pretty large parking lot at work & after getting off work today trying to get out of the parking lot I must have locked them damn things up about 8 times with the slightest touch. Makes me feel like a damn fool, big old donky ears sprouting out of my head, people lookin, back tires lockin up & skidding, yep I can just about imagine what everybody is thinking..."that boy ain't right..."
Man, that just kills me, good info guys I'm gonna shed these big ole donky ears & get a set of them new brake shoes.

Old 04-16-2001, 10:51 PM
..."that boy ain't right..."

LOL!

Old 04-17-2001, 09:19 PM
Set your parking brake just enough so they grab a little and backup for a few feet. That should clean out the rust and warm them up enough so they don't grab.

Just so you know why I say to do it in reverse is because of the way drum brakes work. They are designed to use the braking force going forwards to help apply more pressure on the shoes. This mechanism doesn't work in reverse. That's also the reason why the shoes are different sizes on the same wheel.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited 04-17-2001).]

Old 04-18-2001, 02:10 PM
Exclamation

Oh, and what you are doing when you are backing up with the brakes on is adjusting them. The way Bendix drum brake adjusters work is a ratchet screws the pads a little closer to the drum when pressure is applied, using the trailing edge shoe.

To adjust them, as you back up you PUMP the brakes, which allows the ratchet to release and tighten the adjuster. Steady pressure will only take out a small amount of slack (one ratchet tooth). You must make sure, on occasion, that the ratchet is lubed, or it will either not adjust, or bind the shoes against the drum, in which case you'll burn the shoes off the truck, etc.. This goes especially for you trail hounds, who get water, muck and other crap in those drums.

Personally, I think drums belong on donkey carts and in rock bands, and am glad to see Ford put discs right around now...

Old 04-19-2001, 12:33 AM
Exclamation

The problem is in the shoe compound. Switched to a set of lifetime Bendix shoes at 40000, after I nearly ripped the tranny off its mount for the 17th time (5 spd). Since the switch, not a hitch.

Also, I got the hardware kit (5 bucks), which is probably a good idea. New springs, etc.

As far as the ABS question, all drum brake Fords use a driveshaft speed sensor. The ABS system cannot distingush relative wheel speeds, only if the driveshaft stops spinning.

At any rate, the ABS system is probably working fine, but the shoes hook up and won't release when they are saturated.

Old 05-10-2001, 08:09 PM
My brakes lock up when I have been driving on the highway in Wet Conditions for 30 + Miles and get off on an exit, After I ride the pedal for 500+ Feet and They seem to "Dry Out", but I don't always remenber to dry them off. When the roads are Dry, they Stop fine. What is Going On with that? I do have 4 wheel ABS.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes Lock Up