They said NO!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry They said NO!!

Well i finally got my new pro comp tires yesterday, and i take them to the tire place and the guy says he won't put them on!!! I almost flipped, I thought i figured everything out, and doing my research on here, and reading previous posts you guys said the the Pro Comp A/T's (33/12.50/17) would work just perfect on a stock setup with no rubbing or nothing, well it turns out that those tires can only be mounted on a 8.0-10.0 rim!!! And the stock rims i got are 7.5! and nobody will put them on, i called pro comp and asked them if they will go on, and the guy said yeh, no problem, they might wear a little more in the middle but you won't notice, and the tire will still wear just as long, so i asked if he could fax me a data sheet that showed all the specs on them, cuz the guy at the tire place said he wants to see there spec sheet. so finally today, i go down there thinking that since it was a half in different that he would go ahead and do it, but he wouldn't!!!! i was sooo mad!! i don't know what to do, so i went to another place and the guy said i need at least a 8 in rim at the least! just when i think i got everything correct i get screwed! and i don't have the money right now to buy new rims, and actually wasn't planning on it! what should i do??? I would appreciate your feed back on my situation.

99' F-150 4x4 Sport
Totally stock except for the engine!!

Old 03-22-2001, 05:29 PM
That's pretty common with some tire shops. I had the same problem as well. If it's not within manufacturer's specs they usually give you a line of B.S. There's alot of owners with 285/75/16's or 33x12.5 tires with 7.5" wide rims. Call some other shops; you should be able to find one. Good luck.

------------------
1999 4x4 F250 LD XLT SuperCab 5.4L, 3.73, 4R100 trans.
Flowmaster exhaust, K&N, Superchip, WMS Velocity Tube, Rancho RSX shocks, Hellwig rear swaybar, Stull billet grille, PIAA Air Dam with 2-PIAA Pro80XT's (85W Superwhites), 4-KC Daylighters (150W), Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift, 33/12.5/17 ProComp Mud Terrains on 17x8 American Racing Atlas Rims. Kenwood 7007 CD, Alpine 3342 Signal Processor, Alpine MRV-F353 5Ch. Amp, Pioneer TS-A6865 3-way speakers, MTX Thunderforms. CompuStar alarm/autostart.

Old 03-22-2001, 05:43 PM

I also have another question, if i get these tires on these rims, will it mess up the tire?? will it even fit on my truck?? like i said i got a 99' sport 4x4 and it is totally stock!! will these work?? keep on posting please, i need to get to the bottom of this

Old 03-22-2001, 05:59 PM
Yes, they will fit. If you have the factory molded mud flaps; you might have to trim off about 1/3" inch. Because of a .5" difference you shouldn't really have any abnormal tire wear.

Also, check this link out.
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000929.html

Here's a pic of some 33/12.5/17's on 17x8 rims on my truck BEFORE the 3" lift. No rubbing at all except alittle on the mud flap.

[This message has been edited by Jupiterak (edited 03-22-2001).]

Old 03-22-2001, 06:03 PM
Man that sucks!
I would be pissed. They are just covering their butts, you can't really blame them. I have the procomps and my tire guy didn't give me any trouble. The Procomps aren't really all that wide, and don't balloon out that much. I have had mine for a few months on the stock 17" rims with no signs of strange wear patterns. My tire guy was the one who assured me they would be fine.
Take your business elsewhere. I am sure you can find someone who will put them on. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Later
ET

Old 03-22-2001, 06:08 PM
So you guys think that i can put these big a$$ tires on the stock 7.5 rims?? and that half in doesn't mean *****?? I am only wondering why pro comp recomends using 8-10 in rim?? thanks for all of your help

Old 03-22-2001, 06:49 PM
I think you can put them on, but it is your call. Like I said I have had my A/Ts on for 3-4 months with no problems at all. I don't think the tires are really 33x12.5. They don't balloon out and have a relatively flat side, even on the 7.5 inch rim. They are not even close to 12.5 inches wide. A friend has 33x12.5x16s on his supercrew and they look way bigger than my procomps.
I mainly went with them because I like my stock rims, don't want to regear, and don't want any unecessary wear and tear on my driveline. Call and find someplace that will put them on, or sell them to another F150 owner.
ET

Old 03-22-2001, 07:04 PM
Here is what I would do...
STAY AWAY from the big name tire shops like Goodyear, Americas Tire, Discount Tire etc.... I bet that if you find a little rinky dink place that is locally owned by a small time family guy you wont have any problems. Those kinds of shops rarely even hassle you about anything and will just be happy to be taking some money out of your wallet for the service they have provided. Good Luck.

------------------
Steve
Mine:
1999 F-150 Sport Supercab
Bright Red 4.6L Auto
Billet Grill, Billet Ant, Clear Corners, Sony CD Player, Pioneers in all doors, Kicker 100si Amp, MTX preformed underseat box. Fiberglass Bed Cover
Hers:
2000 Expy Sport
Black, Grey Leather 5.4L
Clear Corners, Alpine CD Player, Punch 150 Amp, JL Audio preformed sub box in rear panel.

Old 03-22-2001, 10:20 PM
Thanks alot for your help guys, my main concern was if this was safe to do, since they are supposed to be on at least and 8 in. wheel, and i didn't even go to a rinky dink place, i went to a place called Whitehall tire, and Ronnies tires, i dunno, maybe Pep Boys will do them to!!
Thanks again

Old 03-23-2001, 11:49 AM
I am currently running the 33/12.50/17 ProComps on my stock 17 inch wheels with no problem. I am going to put 17X8 Pythons on this weekend, but I have had no problem with the tires on the stock wheels. If ProComp says it is ok I wouldn't worry about it.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler and 3" mandrel bent pipes, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II, Bilstein shocks, Redline Synthetic oil, Kenwood stereo system, an MTX Thunder 204 4 channel amp and ProComp AT 33/12.50/17 tires.

Old 03-23-2001, 01:39 PM
Hey Jupiterak,

I have an f-250LD too, and want to know what brand your 7-lug rims are?

Look like AR hellcat? I didn't know they make them in 7lug.

Do you know of any other 7lug wheels?

Frank

Old 03-23-2001, 01:44 PM
Frank P - I believe his wheels are American Racing Atlas's.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler and 3" mandrel bent pipes, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II, Bilstein shocks, Redline Synthetic oil, Kenwood stereo system, an MTX Thunder 204 4 channel amp and ProComp AT 33/12.50/17 tires.

Old 03-23-2001, 02:32 PM
FrankP,
Ron's right, they're the Atlas. I know American Racing Wheels still makes the Baja's. But last time I checked with American Tire, they said the Atlas was discountinued. But they could be wrong.
I know Weld Racing had the Scorpio's in 7 lug (special order), but very pricey. If you're interested give Shawn at Weld a call.

Old 03-23-2001, 02:38 PM
Thanks Guys,
I should probably start a new topic on this next follow up question, but maybe readers of this string know.

for 7lug wheels:

Weld's back space is 4.625" (4 5/8") offset, no data.

While AR is 4.45", offset 0.

Which is correct?/better?

Frank

AND .... with all the 285/75 users out there, I've never seen anyone say this size can fit under and into the spare tire area. Is everyone running with the wrong size spare? This will burn up a limited diff.

Old 03-23-2001, 07:27 PM
Talking

I have something that MIGHT help. I saw a manual tire changer somewhere for about 50 bucks. Try searching the WEB. You might be able to manhandle the tires back on your wheels if you have someone take off your old tires. Make sure you have someone that will balance them for you first. Good Luck!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 4XSport:
Well i finally got my new pro comp tires yesterday, and i take them to the tire place and the guy says he won't put them on!!! I almost flipped, I thought i figured everything out, and doing my research on here, and reading previous posts you guys said the the Pro Comp A/T's (33/12.50/17) would work just perfect on a stock setup with no rubbing or nothing, well it turns out that those tires can only be mounted on a 8.0-10.0 rim!!! And the stock rims i got are 7.5! and nobody will put them on, i called pro comp and asked them if they will go on, and the guy said yeh, no problem, they might wear a little more in the middle but you won't notice, and the tire will still wear just as long, so i asked if he could fax me a data sheet that showed all the specs on them, cuz the guy at the tire place said he wants to see there spec sheet. so finally today, i go down there thinking that since it was a half in different that he would go ahead and do it, but he wouldn't!!!! i was sooo mad!! i don't know what to do, so i went to another place and the guy said i need at least a 8 in rim at the least! just when i think i got everything correct i get screwed! and i don't have the money right now to buy new rims, and actually wasn't planning on it! what should i do??? I would appreciate your feed back on my situation.

99' F-150 4x4 Sport
Totally stock except for the engine!!
</font>