New Tires & Wheels Report -- BFG AT 285/75/16

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Tires & Wheels Report -- BFG AT 285/75/16

I report the following for people who are looking to upgrade their wheels and tires.

I just put new wheels and tires on my 97 4x4 Expedition. It has 3.73 gears, and had the 17" ORP wheels. I replaced the wheels with 16x8 American Racing Atlas wheels (polished aluminum) and the tires with BFG AT 285/75/16. These tires are about 1" taller than the stock 265/70/17 Goodyears, and about 1.5" wider.

First, the look -- it's great! The Expedition is black, so I mounted these with the white lettering on the inside. There's no rubbing anywhere, and I didn't turn the torsion bars up. I'll try to post pictures soon.

Traction -- Again, great! It snowed about 2 inches here last night, and i was out plating in it. It didn't begin to slip unless I tried to make it.

Power -- I figure that my effective rear end went from 3.73 to about 3.6. I don't notice the power loss, unless I really floor it. Then it seems to take a little longer to get up to speed. For daily driving, I don't think 'll notice it. I don't tow with this vehicle, so I don't know what effect it might have on that.

Handling -- here's the only problem -- slight vibration at about 50 - 70 mph. It's possible the wheels are not completely balanced, but the vendor (National Tire and Wheel) also warned that there might be some vibration. Also, the Atlaa wheels have slightly less backspacing than the stock wheels, which the vendor says can cause vibration on an IFS system. If I hold the steering wheel tight, I don't notice the vibration, but I can feel it shaking with a a loose grip. It doesn't appear to affect the handling, however. I may get the balancing checked locally, but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any other ideas.

I mail ordered the wheels and tires from National Tire & Wheel, and they got here in 4 days. I got five wheels and tires (I replaced the stock spare) for about $1750. They came to my door via UPS, fully mounted, balanced (supposedly -- see above -- there are balancing weights on all of the wheels), and inflated, and included hub centers, lug nuts and locking lug nuts (these are an addition $15.00 or so). All I had to do was jack up the vehicle, take off the old tires and bolt these on. I have a torque wrench, which I used to re-check the lugs after about 30 miles of driving.

So far, so good. I recommend the set-up and National Tire and Wheel (although I know one other member was not pleased with his Center Lines that he got from them, or with their response to his concerns).

------------------
97 Expedition XLT 4x4, Black, 3.73 LS, 5.4L, leather, all options except LLS, Edelbrock IAS shocks

Old 01-21-2001, 10:41 PM
First let me say that you got a great combo...Second the vendor is full of BS...the tires should balance out perfect...No vibrations at all...get them rebalance and save yourself some future problems.......Plenty of people here have the combo you are talking about, I did at one time...balanced perfectly.....Good luck, post pictures later.....Dave

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,Eagle polished wheels 16x10 w/Yokahama Geolandars 315/75/16s,all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift,3" spindles, 3" body lift=9 1/2 inches of lift, lift lips.coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates, Superlift traction bars,Image tail light covers (painted).and it still fits in the garage, yeahhhhhh

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

Old 01-22-2001, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the input. It's good to hear that there shouldn't be any vibration.

I have't actually spoken to the vendor about the problem -- their warning about vibration was in their literature that came with the tires. It looks like they tried to balance them (there are weights on the inside of the wheels).

I'll call the vendor about them today, but I can't see taking them of and shipping them back just to get re-balanced. I'll get that done locally (I probably need an alignment, anyway, as well), but I'll see if NT&W will give me any credit for the cost of balancing. I'm getting the pictures developed today, and I'll post soon.

Thanks again.

Jon

------------------
97 Expedition XLT 4x4, Black, 3.73 LS, 5.4L, leather, all options except LLS, Edelbrock IAS shocks, BFG AT KO 286/75/16s on American Racing Atlas 16x8

Old 01-22-2001, 11:47 AM
There should not be any vibration.

Did you put the wheels on or the shop? If a shop did, losen the lug nuts and retorque them! 85-105 ft-lbs

If they are too tight, it can act like a warped rotor and vibrate a lot! The Sears monkies did that with the stang. Stupid fools! Retorqued the nuts and it is fine again.

Old 01-22-2001, 02:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matt90GT:
There should not be any vibration.

Did you put the wheels on or the shop? If a shop did, losen the lug nuts and retorque them! 85-105 ft-lbs

If they are too tight, it can act like a warped rotor and vibrate a lot! The Sears monkies did that with the stang. Stupid fools! Retorqued the nuts and it is fine again.
</font>
Matt, good idea, but I think I covered it. I put the wheels on myself, and I bought a torque wrench just for this task. I torqued the lugs to 70-80 ft.-lbs. (which the brochure that came with the wheels said was the right torque range.)

sdielsel -- I got a Husky brand torque wrench from Home Depot for $54, which was a little less than what Pep Boys wanted for a similar wrench. This is one of the wrenches that "clicks" when the correct torque is reached. There are cheaper "beam-type" torque wrenches, but I don't think they're very accurate.

I called NT&W to explain the vibration problem. They were surprised, and told me that those wheels and tires shouldn't cause any vibration problems. I told them that I'd take them to a local shop to get the balancing checked. They told me to report back what the local shop found, and that they would "help me out anyway they could." They also told me that if the wheels were out of round, they'd replace them under warranty. Hopefully, they'll credit me for the cost of the re-balancing, if that's what's required. I'll let everyone know.

------------------
97 Expedition XLT 4x4, Black, 3.73 LS, 5.4L, leather, all options except LLS, Edelbrock IAS shocks, BFG AT KO 286/75/16s on American Racing Atlas 16x8

Old 01-22-2001, 05:58 PM
Here are the photos of the tires. I had the truck out in the snow and salted roads, so it needs washing.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...926&a=11128979

------------------
97 Expedition XLT 4x4, Black, 3.73 LS, 5.4L, leather, all options except LLS, Edelbrock IAS shocks, BFG AT KO 285/75/16s on American Racing Atlas 16x8

[This message has been edited by Jon P (edited 01-24-2001).]

Old 01-23-2001, 12:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

This is kind of a dumb question, but Jon P. or anyone else who has a torque wrench.....This sounds like it would be a great addition to my toolbox, how much does an average one cost? Thanks for any input.

------------------
Black 1997 F-150 Extended Cab
4x4 w/Off-Road Package
5.4 liter Triton V8
Luverne Stainless Steel Nerf Bars
DeeZee Silver Series Toolbox
Grizzly Oval Style Chrome Grill/Brush Guard
Wrap around bug shield
Ventshade Ventvisors
Ford Factory Bedliner
Pioneer Deh-P6000 45 Watt CD stereo w 2 12" Sony XPlod Subwoofers
3" Performance Accessories Body Lift running factory tires right now
Smittybilt Outland Tail light guards.
Just Received today: 16x10 American Racing Polished Atlas Wheels

Old 01-24-2001, 09:43 PM
Hey, I see you got your tires from Naitonal Tire and Wheel. I saw a special on their website, but do they ship? Or do you have to go and pick them up?? Sounds like a nice truck. Thanks a lot.
Thomas Murphree

------------------
-------------------------
1999 super cab
white with tan bottom
automatic
4.6L v8
WAAG grillguard
2 KC daylighters
vampire remote start combo alarm
steelhorse nerf bars
Husky chrome toolbox
2 10" Cerwin Vega subs
pyramid 800w amp
4 pioneer 3 way 6x8's
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wants: 2 chamber flowmaster dual exhaust
tan fender flares
american racing atlas
2" fabtech suspension leveling kit

Old 01-24-2001, 11:03 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by truckluver:
Hey, I see you got your tires from Naitonal Tire and Wheel. I saw a special on their website, but do they ship? Or do you have to go and pick them up?? Sounds like a nice truck. Thanks a lot.
Thomas Murphree

</font>
They ship UPS, although you can also pick them up. If you pick them up, you have to pay West Virginia sales tax, if you get them shipped out of state, you don't have to. They put each tire and wheel in a big clear plastic bag, slap a shipping label on the side and send them. They send the lugs and centers in a separate box. Just make sure you're home when the UPS guy gets there -- I would not want them to leave this on the front steps, as they have been know to do.

Jon

Old 01-27-2001, 04:09 PM
Follow up:

I took the truck in to NTB today and had all four wheels balanced. All four were out of balance, two very much so. That solved the vibration. NT&W was closed by the time I got back, so I'll call them and see if they will credit me for the cost of balancing.

Jon

Old 01-29-2001, 04:15 PM
Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon P:
Follow up:

I took the truck in to NTB today and had all four wheels balanced. All four were out of balance, two very much so. That solved the vibration. NT&W was closed by the time I got back, so I'll call them and see if they will credit me for the cost of balancing.

Jon
</font>
An update -- NT&W offered to credit me almost all of the cost of balancing ($50.00 of $59.95), which I accepted. It only took one brief phone call, and I'm happy with this resolution.

Old 02-06-2001, 03:53 PM
Jon P- Is your X lifted? It looks like more clearance above the tires than stock? I also have a 97 XLT but I have the 4 corner leveling and don't know if I could fit the tires that you have. Eric

Old 02-07-2001, 01:34 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ericfromMD:
Jon P- Is your X lifted? It looks like more clearance above the tires than stock? I also have a 97 XLT but I have the 4 corner leveling and don't know if I could fit the tires that you have. Eric</font>
Eric:

No lift. Suspension is bone stock, except for new shocks, which don't affect lift. I don't have the load leveling suspension, however, which may make a difference.

Jon

------------------
97 Expedition XLT 4x4, Black, 3.73 LS, 5.4L, leather, all options except LLS, Edelbrock IAS shocks, BFG AT KO 285/75/16s on American Racing Atlas 16x8

Old 02-07-2001, 01:51 PM
Thumbs up

Jon P,

Thanks for the great info...I have been considering that same combo for my f150. I've been holding out for someone to make 285/75/17 for my ORP rims though. It looks as if that may not happen anytime soon, thus I might make a move to 16" rims also.

Old 02-07-2001, 02:05 PM
RCL
sdiesel316,

I got the Husky torque wrench from Home Depot. Paid about $55. Sears has a Craftsman model that costs a bit more. I personally like the design of the Husky more.

They're both made in the good'ol USofA!
=-)

RCL

------------------
2000 XLT 4.6 V8 5speed 4x4 RC SB Amazon Green

Modifications:
K&N
Mobil 1
Magnum Deflecta-Shield
Soft Snapless Tonneau
Ford Duraliner

Quick Reply: New Tires & Wheels Report -- BFG AT 285/75/16