Pro Comp 305/70/16 vs. Goodyear ATS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2000, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pro Comp 305/70/16 vs. Goodyear ATS

I have a set of Goodyear ATS 305/70/16 on my F150 now but have a Supercrew on order. I want to put 305's on the new crew but worry about the factory ride. The 305's I have now have never ridden without some shimmy even after being balanced four times. I wonder if the Pro Comps ride any better?

Also, has anyone used the Hunter 9000 vibration control system (fancy name for a tire balancer?) I have read good things in a few magazines about it. They say that it is the same method OEM's balance their wheel/tire combos. I inquired about getting this done on my current set but the shop said it is best done on new tires.

------------------
'97 F150 Lariat, Flareside, white/sliver, SC, ORP, 5.4 (FQR 8/99) running Mobil 1
Mods: 305/70/16 GY ATS, AR Baja wheels, dual exhaust, Smittybilt Nerf Bars, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, K&N Filter, Carbon Fiber Bug Gaurd and rigged the fog lights too.

Another great Ford truck site -www.fseries.com

Truck Pictures

Old 08-22-2000, 08:26 PM
IKE
"...the Hunter 9000 vibration control system (fancy name for a tire balancer?)"

maybe so, but having worked at Hunter's headquarters in Bridgeton, MO, let me say that the fancy name is indicative of how the engineers feel about the quality of their product. These guys eat, sleep, and breath all things automotive; they do know their stuff. (I remember one time, when one of the product managers decided that "bead-breaking" sounded too harsh, and tried to change all documentation to "bead-loosening") Regardless, I gotta give a plug to a hometown company!!

And now back to your regularly scheduled website...

------------------

-IKE

2000 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 4x4

"My graduation present to myself!"

Go Boilers!!
1999 Graduate -Purdue University
"Close by the Wabash, in famed Hoosier land..."
------------------

[This message has been edited by IKE (edited 08-22-2000).]

Old 08-22-2000, 08:49 PM
Don't know much about the Pro Comps but I've had 305/70/16's on my truck for about 1000 miles now with no problems. I keep hearing about shimmies and problems balancing but so far I haven't noticed.

------------------
Stock Stuff:
Y2K SCab 4X4, Chesnut Metallic, 5.4L, 3.55 Limited Slip, Skid Plates, Factory AM/FM/CD, 40/60 Split Bench, Sliding Rear Window, Towing Package and Keyless Entry.

Extras so far:
305/70X16 GY Wrangler AT's on American Eagle Series 146 chrome wheels.

Future plans:
Airbox mod/FIPK, Flowmaster 40 Series muffler, stainless exaust tip, tint windows, spray in liner (or Herculiner haven't decided), stainless step bars, hood deflector, chip? we'll see.

Old 08-22-2000, 09:33 PM
Did not mean to step on anyones toes. I have heard really good things about the "vibration control system." It just struck me odd. Most people in the tire business I have come across would rather be doing something else. It is refreshing to know that people in that business actually like their jobs!

I am now wondering whether it is the American Racing wheels that are the problem. Good to know that there is a good set of Goodyear ATS's out there though! Thanks for the reply!

[This message has been edited by kkirt1 (edited 08-22-2000).]

Old 08-22-2000, 10:38 PM
IKE
Thumbs up

kkirt1: I notice you're from Missouri too, whereabouts?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by my comments, in fact, I find it somewhat amusing, as I did the "bead-loosening" story above... Funny that an product-engineer would take a technical term such as "bead-breaking" and try to call it something that sounds "kinder." (it's a tire! they don't have feelings!)

The same with the vibration control system, no matter what you do, it's still a tire balancer!!! (true, it is a very fancy balancer) but still a tire balancer. (this from a company that still christens new products with fine wine...) in all seriousness, a fun internship/ summer job that ended all too soon!

------------------

-IKE

2000 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 4x4

"My graduation present to myself!"

Go Boilers!!
1999 Graduate -Purdue University
"Close by the Wabash, in famed Hoosier land..."
------------------

[This message has been edited by IKE (edited 08-22-2000).]

Old 08-22-2000, 11:24 PM
Sister city - Kansas City!

Did you ever get involved or have experience with the machine? I was wondering how well it does on large tires like the 33's I have on my truck now? Most of the shops around here are pretty proud of their machines and want about $80 to balance four tires. If it eliminates the shimmy it would be well worth it!

Old 08-23-2000, 09:12 AM
kkirt1,
The Hunter GSP 9700 is the only machine I let anybody balance my tires with!! I called the local Hunter service rep to find out who was the best @ using it in my area. The guy he told me about charges $32.50 a tire, which is a ripoff, but to me still worth it.

It measures lateral & axial runout of the wheel & how round the tire is. Then, they can rotate the low spot of the tire exactly to the high spot of the wheel, eliminating any vibration. If the tire is so out of round that it doesn't meet spec, then he rejects the tire for a new one. I've had 2 tires replaced this way.

The Tirerack replaced a tire, no questions asked. All the other mail order companies said I would have to pay for shipping the tire back, & if they found something wrong, then they would reimburse me. Tirerack simply put a call tag on the bad tire & shipped me a new one. 4 Wheel Parts said they would do the same for the Pro Comp tires.

If you want no vibration hassles, then I highly, highly recommend getting your tires balanced this way. Just ask the local Hunter service rep who's the best technician @ using the machine. www.hunter.com

Trending Topics

Old 08-23-2000, 10:11 AM
WELL, I HAVE THE PRO-COMP A/T'S IN A 315 AND LOVE 'EM. QUIET, SMOOTH, COULDN'T GET MUCH NICER FOR A TIRE THIS SIZE. ALSO, IF YOU GET THEM FROM 4 WHEEL PARTS, YOU MIGHT LUCK OUT LIKE ME AND GET A FREE ONE. WHEN I ORDERED MINE (OVER THE PHONE) I WASN'T OFFERED AN "INCENTIVE TO BUY". ON THERE WEBSITE, UNDER TIRES, IT STATES "BUY FOUR PRO-COMP TIRES AND GET AN EXTRA ONE FREE". ONCE I SEEN THAT I WAS MAD.....I CALLED AND THEY APOLOGIZED AND SAID THEY COULD NOT SEND ME THE FREE ONE. IT WAS A MISTAKE. WELL, I CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE AND I GOT 5. ALL IN ALL I LIKE THEM BETTER THAN ANY TIRE I HAVE HAD. THEY SEEM TO BE A LITTLE BETTER THAN THE 33" BFG A/T I HAD ON MY 95' BRONCO. ANYWAY. THEY AREN'T BAD, PLUS THE 50,000 MILE TREAD WEAR WARRANTY. THEY WILL DROP ONE OFF AND PICK UP YOUR BAD ONE, IF YOU NEED TO. NOT BAD.

------------------
TIM WEIGEL
1998 lariat 4x4.
Bright red-silver metallic frost.
Grey leather.
2" **** Cepek body lift.
Torsion bars adjusted up.
Rough Country add-a leaf in rear.
5- 315/75R16 PRO-COMP A/T's.
4- 35x12.50 Swamper SSR's for spares.
5- 16x10 American Racing Baja's.
Westin chrome grill/brushguard.
Westin chrome nerf bars.
Q-S chrome double/single rollbar.
6- **** Cepek 135 watt. chrome lights.
Dual exhaust with Flowmaster "10" series, one chamber mufflers.
Long, extended drop hitch (for tailgaters).
"CUSTOM" spare tire carrier in bed ($3.50 worth of scrap metal, looks like the $250 ones!!!).
Red factory skidplate.
Red Tweed (went custom)interior panels.
5% tint.
enough to keep me busy for a long time.
(....oh yeah, K & N filter)..how could i forget<><

Quick Reply: Pro Comp 305/70/16 vs. Goodyear ATS