ABS nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ABS nightmare

>> i have a 1998 lariat,5.4,auto,70,000 miles,loaded w all options, abs light on, no codes, have bled brakes, replaced abs sensor in differential, 4 wheel brake job, bled brakes again, have friend at garage w scanner, no codes, retired, limited budget, dont want to take back to dealer, all help appreciated, >>> miljeep66

Old 08-18-2000, 07:59 AM
Does your friends code scanner actually address and talk to the ABS controller, or just the Engine Computer? If I remember correctly (and sometimes I don't!) there is a shared bus to the different controllers/computers.

Old 08-18-2000, 09:41 AM
That happened to me once. The cure for me was to clean the ABS sensors with some Brakleen or a like product.

Old 08-18-2000, 11:27 PM
Check the teeth on the exciter ring in the differential to make sure none are bent.Put the truck on axle stands,pop out the ABS sensor and slowly turn the tire checking the teeth through the hole.

Old 08-19-2000, 06:58 PM
Since you have 4WABS, don't forget about the sensor at each front wheel. If the rotors were turned down as part of the brake job, hope they didn't mash the metal ABS tone wheel on the back of the rotor.
Also, the sensors at the front can get pretty hairy with metal shavings, may affect sensing the tone wheel teeth. I think that's what Gofish is talking about.
Would think that would set a code, however. That's why I'm wondering if you are really reading the ABS Controller.

[This message has been edited by Granpa (edited 08-19-2000).]

Old 08-23-2000, 05:24 PM
I turned the rotors and drums myself,axle seals in rear axle,f & r brakes, exciter rings fine up front & back,cleaned front sensors with brake cleaner, replaced rear sensor in top of differential, i've done all i know to do, still no codes, rear brakes still lock, i've checked the fuses in the power dist box, under the dash, connections at the sensors and brain, even broke down and had another friend with a different type of scanner check codes,still no codes Stumped Lariat owner?? HELP!!!

Quick Reply: ABS nightmare