Rear Parking Brakes causing Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear Parking Brakes causing Vibration

Someone here has to help me out. My 2000 F150 SC 2WD has recently been providing me with an intermittant vibration at the 45-50 MPH range. It feels like a flat tire. When I stop to inspect nothing is wrong with the tires. When I resume driving all is OK for a while then the vibration returns. Stop and resume no problem. Later vibration returns.

I take the truck to the dealer and they tell me it is caused by my rear parking brake pads freeezing up. I am having a hard time understanding how this can be emergeny brake related. Has anyone had the same experience and more importantly diagnosis? They want $700+ to rebuild the rear brakes!

Old 08-08-2003, 02:15 AM
I g uess I need to look at my rear brake system. Last time I looked the rear disc brakes were just a single set of pads. The E brake locked the pads agianst the rotor when applied. The piston ratchetes up as you apply the E brake to keep them close and maintain the E brake as the pads wear. I would check the rear caliper slides and make sure that they are lubricated. maybe they stick a little after you apply the brakes and cause the pads to rub agianst the rotor a little too much. Of course, as you drive if the pads are hanging up a little heat will build up and close the clearance even more. you might be feeling the pads rubbing agianst the rear rotors and causing your vibration. Rebuild the rear brakes for $700 sounds way out of line too me. New calipers w/ pads and rotors couldn't cost that much ( even at dealer prices.) good luck

Old 08-08-2003, 07:52 AM
After posting my message I visited with the dealer. The tech had my truck reassembled and took me for a test drive to show that he was able to release the hanging brake shoes. When we got back to the shop he put the truck back up on the rack and went through the E brake system with me and pointed out that he basically took a pry bar and forced a lever back.

The e brake system is a drum and pad type system on the inside of the normal disc system. Totally independent of the disc and calipers.

The tech did tell me that everything was fine otherwise but the system would probably hang up again the next time I applied the e brake.

I decided to hold off on the repair and wait for it to reoccur. In the meantime I will do a little homework on the repair and probably do the repair myself.

I need to save a few bucks now as the front end is showing signs of wear and will probably cost me $500 to get everything replace and aligned.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Keep us posted, this is an interesting problem.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Tiger,
All I can tell you is when the dealer called and tried to explain the diagnosis over the phone my BS meter was going wild. I was VERY skeptical. I am glad I went back in and talked to the tech. I am tempted to set my e brake to see if it recurrs but I don't have time to mess with it right now. Maybe next weekend.

Quick Reply: Rear Parking Brakes causing Vibration