Protectant for polished aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protectant for polished aluminum wheels

Does anyone know of a good protectant for polished aluminum wheels? I have them on my truck and the wife's Jeep and I'm tired of changing out the wheels for the Northeast Ohio winters.

Bob

Old 02-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Check this place out!

http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp

Looks promising! never used it myself, but it looks good!

bigNAnative

Old 02-05-2003, 11:20 AM
try waxing the rims. The wax leaves a thin film on your rim

Old 02-05-2003, 12:16 PM
Actually, I've tried that and the wax can't hold up to the salt they use on our roads during the winter. I need something thicker, I think.

Thanks anyways,
Bob

Old 02-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Bob,

First off, nice truck! I think it's a nice combo of wheels, tires, and lift, and I like how it's very clean. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers about this post, but I do have some questions.

First, what's the backspacing on those wheels, and is it the same as stock?

Do you have decent clearance between the body/valance and tires at full turn?(I can't imagine you don't, but it seems the lifts don't allow for as much tire as I thought they may)...Reason I ask is I'm looking into a 4" suspension, 3" body and 35x12.50's on some 17x10 wheels. Kinda want to get your thoughts on how much space I may expect to have between the body and tires. Like you, I like to have semi-open wheelwells when running larger tires.

What gears do you have, and how does the 5.4 respond to the bigger tires?

Thanks again, appreciate your time -

Mike

Old 02-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the compliments.

First off, I'm pretty sure the backspacing on the wheels is stock or very close to it. I bought the lift and everything at one time and I just told them what I wanted.

As far as clearance goes, I have plenty in the wheelwells. I don't do any serious off roading with the truck, I have a CJ for that, so I'm thinking of getting 38's for the truck this time. You should have plenty of room for the 35's you want.

Last, I'm still running the stock 3.55's and the power isn't too bad with the bigger tires and the chip. Once I go to the 38's, I'm going to change to 4.56's.

Hope this helps. Now go get your truck in the air!

Bob

Old 02-06-2003, 11:05 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the response. I'm just waiting for the lifts I want to be approved for 03's and some money (have a feeling the lifts will be OK'd way before I have the money, but such is life!)

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 02-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Check with Meguiar's. They have a Gold class metal polish claiming to shine & protect. Check the website.

Also check with a company out of Colorado (i think) called Wheel Wax. I think the website is www.wheelwax.com I have never used this product but want to test some.

I have been doing alot of research on different product's for this very same situation.

Fall

Old 02-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Truck TV

Saw that zoops stuff on Trucks TV and it is supose to protect your polished wheels for up to 3 years when applied properly. Worth the try to save some polishing hours .You must howver get your wheels clean and brightly polished before applying it doers not polish wheels just protects them once in primo condition.

Richard D.

Old 02-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to check out that Zoop stuff. I really hate polishing my wheels.

Thanks again,
Bob

Old 02-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too live in a salty area (Rochester, NY) and even though I take my American Racing aluminum wheels off for the snow, even the tiniest bit of salt would cause them to oxidize. I complained to AR and they sent me something called Extreme Metal Polish and Protectant. (By the way, this was 5 years ago.) I then buffed the wheels out with a polisher and metal polish and applied the sealer as directed. Believe it or not, it made a big difference. I believe the Zooks stuff is the same kind of system. I now use the Extreme stuff every spring when I put the wheels on.

Now for the bad news. If you have a plain aluminum wheel with no finish (clear coat, anodize, etc.) on it, no sealer is going to hold up to salt.

Old 02-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Here is the link for EXtreem products:

www.customwheelaccessories.com

Last edited by Richard D; 02-20-2003 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:23 PM
I tried Extreem wheel polish. I did not work as good as I thought it would. The end results were not that good.

Old 03-10-2003, 01:37 PM
This a a bit off topic however I just placed an order at www.tirerack.com for a product called Wheel Wax that is suppose ot be a very good product to help keep CHROME wheels clean and give them a protective barrier that helps keep brake dust and other co0ntaminets rorm attacking the chrome finish on our Expensive wheels. It is a bit pricey but if it is as good as they say it should be well worth it.

Richard D.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 03-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Richard, does it say anything about aluminum wheels? Keep us posted with your results.

Bob

Quick Reply: Protectant for polished aluminum wheels