Need Recommendations on Scan Tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRAY,
thanks... I didn't see it but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Let me know how you like the software. I'm on the verge of buying either it or OBD2.

Old 12-08-2002, 11:11 PM
look at pawn shops for scanners. bought mine for 280 and had the newest domestic cards and abs

Old 12-10-2002, 12:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by f150intally
Do any of these softwares give you Air/Fuel Ratio readouts? That would be Awesome!
Yes the ver 2.03 and the newer hardware will give you a A/F ratio gauge, at least the 123 package does ( another one might also ?? )

Remember that this is using the narrow band O2 sensor that the PCM uses, so if it gets too far away from 14.7:1 it will not be all that accurate.

Don't know what you are looking for with the A/F ratio, but if you want to track it very closely, then you would need a Wideband O2 Sensor and meter setup, but now you are talking in the $1,000 + range for a FJO gauge and a wideband O2 Sensor ( I think they use a Bosch sensors ?? ).

Unless you are wanting to track the closed loop vs open loop operation to an exact point, the narrow band O2 sensor and AutoTap or a A/F Gauge should do what I think you are after.

My $$ went to the Autotap software, and an Autometer A/F Gauge.

NOTE : An A/F gauge in your truck is not for tuning, only a general idea. All tuning should be done off of a Dyno, where exact measurements and data logging can be done.
Just my disclaimer.

Hope I got it all correct...someone will be along shortly to flame me if I got it wrong ( and rightfully so... )

Last edited by SSCULLY; 12-10-2002 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:36 PM
DAE/MD,
The software was the same for me. Even if it wasn't I think the latest would be on their website. If you haven't already dwonloaded the manual, I would suggest doing so. It has a lot of good info.

Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Here is an update for the Auterra...
Last Friday I checked the codes on a friend’s '96 Cadillac STS. Came up with two codes...one related to fuel/air and the other was for EGR pintle position. Turned out to be the EGR was sticking. On the web I found out that GM has changed their software to periodically cycle the EGR valve to help clean of the carbon. The problem was fixed after cleaning off the carbon and replacing the EGR valve.

This is a lot more fun than looking at a "check engine" light and wondering where to start!!!

Old 12-10-2002, 06:25 PM
ScrewBig Red,

My AutoTap software was shipped yesterday. Can't wait to plug and play. Sounds like all you need is one more fix and your Auterra software will pay for itself!

Technology is good...sometimes!

Old 12-10-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by TRAY
ScrewBig Red,

My AutoTap software was shipped yesterday. Can't wait to plug and play. Sounds like all you need is one more fix and your Auterra software will pay for itself!

Technology is good...sometimes!

let me know how ya like it once ya try it out

Old 12-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Smile

Well....., it arrived via UPS this morning. I hope to get this loaded onto the laptop and play around with it this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

Quick Reply: Need Recommendations on Scan Tools