Blown Plugs, damaged cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(webmaster note: post violative of our forum rules removed.)

Last edited by webmaster; 07-03-2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Traded mine for a Silverado 2500HD last November. Need the towing capacity and couldn't live with the SD ride quality.
Yes, I feel like a trader.

But an 8.1L engine with the Allison trans. is impressive!

Old 07-03-2003, 02:06 PM
And what specifically would you like to know? Cost? Fords lack of financial assistance. Mileage, year , use, I'll tell you all I have, but what?

fixit

Old 09-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Website

Hi everyone with blown spark plugs!
I have done some investigation and have found that this is a big problem with F150's AND Expeditions.

My brother has an expedition and paid a whopping $4,000 for the replacement head. They saw him coming!
When he blew a second plug (2 weeks later) he took it to an independent mechanic and it cost him $400. The mechanic had built a special tool for getting the #4 spark plug on the passenger side because he had done it so many times before.

My brother was very upset. He has a large family and works a lot of overtime to support his family. His plight made the rest of us angry and inclined us to help out. I started a website:

http://www.geocities.com/expeditionblowout/

I have contacted some of you but others have email disabled on their profile. Please check out the website and tell anyone you know who has had this problem to check it out also.

Elaine

Old 10-17-2003, 11:55 PM
all I can is commend you on this.

you should do the same with the lightning leaky inner cooler!

I guatentee about 100 people will sign up for that one

Old 11-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Exclamation Trying to stay out of the blown plug club

Hello everyone,

Im driving a '98 f150 4.2. I'm new to this forum & auto work but using my chilton book and the internet i installed plugs and wires in my 150 2 days ago. After I finished I started it up, sounded fine and drove great.
Today I noticed a ping. Im going out now to check for a hiss, it sounds like these are the indicators.
OK

I found that plugs 2, and 5 were viabrating. What i'll call "popping" in the boot. So i took them off, and tightened them down. Figured I'd check the rest and found two others somewhat loose. I hand tightened then turned 1/16th as mentioned by someone on here (thanks for the tip) and the pinging stopped. I thought i heard a hiss when i idled up but realized it was the K&N.

Just finding this forum and reading you guys prevented possible damage, I might have waited until the weekend to check out the ping but have learned my lesson.

Thanks!
PCW

Old 01-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Anyone know anything about 4.2L engines blowing a plug? I only ask, because I have heard a slight ticking(sounds like exhaust), but I am now extremely paranoid. My only semi-assuring knowledge is that there is now what sounds like an exhaust rattle coming from somewhere below. Converter?

I haven't really seen any reports of 4.2s blowing plugs. I wish I knew about this site before I bought my truck a month ago.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:32 PM
I own a 2001 Mustang GT today I took my car in to the Ford dealership to find out I blow a plug out of the head and stripped it so the HEad needs to be replaced, I am not a mechanic however I spoke with a guy who worked for the Ford dealer I took my car to and he said there is alot of problems with the plugs on the Lightning and the f150 with the 5.4, he also said the Mustang had the same cylender head and he has seen 2 mustang and about 3 F150with in the last year that has had this same problem, My fortunatly is covered inder warranty but get this my warrenty is out at 36k,....im at 34852 talk about timing. Just wanted to say good luck. The best never ..........well maybe sometimes they rest!

Old 06-30-2004, 11:54 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ighlight=blown plugs&pagenumber=6
read this thread there is a lot of good info. read DonRicketts post

Old 07-01-2004, 11:33 AM
I just recently bought a 4.6L Romeo head from a junkyard and had it resurfaced.. it's in excellent condition.

If the 8th character in your VIN is W you have a Romeo, if it's a 6 you have the Windsor. (Kinda counter intuitive!?)

Thanks
nigel

Edited to remove classified ad...-rp-

Last edited by Rockpick; 01-28-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Unhappy

Hi

I too can be a member of the BLOWN PLUG CLUB!!!
I have a 2001 Lightning that blow a plug @ 21,000 miles (starting it in my driveway). Now a second time, on the highway @ 48,000 miles.

Old 11-20-2004, 08:23 PM
99f1504x4 5.4 never had much of a problem with ford i raised on fords . i even spent 15 years selling ford parts . ive whiched to a new line of work 10 years ago and know may throw in the towel on ford. i under stand wear an tear, i also under stand that ford designs parts to go up once out of warrenty. and they difinently dont want you to work on them. and after working for ford i do know a design problem .i just went throuht the door window opening crack both doors . ford covered all but 348.00. which was for repainting the doors. know ford and i have to go to battle again for the spark plug problem . made call to ford they know of no such problem. called 4 ford dealers in area they are having problem with the heads .they say ford fixes the problem by replacing the head. you guys that can work on your trucks. the race shop they take the head off and put something like a helicoil in the old plug hole and its tapered so it wont come out. if any body works on other than ford and the problem happens ford wont touch you. be the biggest squeak in the wheel make all your phone calls (better business department ,ford custumer service, set up a apointment with a ford warrenty rep, .make as much noise as you can . thank to some of the guys living this problem i am glad for the help. before my plug came out noticed noise like a lifter tap for couple of days then pow sounded like i threw a rod. know i ll be aware if i hear that tap again.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:04 PM
let me guess???your new line of work is not an english teacher
Originally posted by rickmoe
99f1504x4 5.4 never had much of a problem with ford i raised on fords . i even spent 15 years selling ford parts . ive whiched to a new line of work 10 years ago and know may throw in the towel on ford. i under stand wear an tear, i also under stand that ford designs parts to go up once out of warrenty. and they difinently dont want you to work on them. and after working for ford i do know a design problem .i just went throuht the door window opening crack both doors . ford covered all but 348.00. which was for repainting the doors. know ford and i have to go to battle again for the spark plug problem . made call to ford they know of no such problem. called 4 ford dealers in area they are having problem with the heads .they say ford fixes the problem by replacing the head. you guys that can work on your trucks. the race shop they take the head off and put something like a helicoil in the old plug hole and its tapered so it wont come out. if any body works on other than ford and the problem happens ford wont touch you. be the biggest squeak in the wheel make all your phone calls (better business department ,ford custumer service, set up a apointment with a ford warrenty rep, .make as much noise as you can . thank to some of the guys living this problem i am glad for the help. before my plug came out noticed noise like a lifter tap for couple of days then pow sounded like i threw a rod. know i ll be aware if i hear that tap again.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:05 PM
New member, Blown Plug Club

I too am now a member of the "Blown Plug Club".

A few days ago after work, I go out to start the truck: crank, crank, BOOM!

If the Big-Sert works, great. If I can get the Big-Sert installed without pulling the motor (just removing the hood), even better!

I don't trust this vehicle. I haven't really trusted it since I had a diff carrier SHATTER at 36900 miles.

After 85000 miles, I've had

The blown plug issue

4 diff gearsets (shattered teeth off of 4 Pinions and broke 1 Carrier).
...let's face it. The 8.8 isn't a very good diff in the F150. Fine in the ranger, explorer, and mustang, not stout enough for a 1/2 ton full size.

4 wheel bearing-hubs (front )
...what's up with the slightly-larger-than-a-front-wheel-drive-setup on IFS trucks, anyway? Rides nice...

3 Ignition Coils (really this isn't so bad, but it counts towards TCO )

BAD Rad Support rust, as reported by many

Lower door rust, as reported by a few

Door crack, as reported by many

I guess I'll just Big-Sert, cross fingers and keep the cell phone charged up.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Ford knows this

I really do apologize to all for being a broken record with my posts on the same issues. It is really simple, Ford has known defects that affect "all" engines made at the Romeo and Windsor plants between 1999-2002. You all have this defect, but it may not manifest itself to all. Don't be hard on those that do, please. If people would simply quit trying to find answers to the same problems and start complaining where it belongs, then this would get fixed, and those that paid, would be reimbursed. A short lesson on how recalls occur. Two ways, NHTSA gets a copy of every TSB written. Center for AutoSafety puts pressure through newspapers, etc. on manufacturers, as well as direct pressure, to fix defects. This takes time. However, no one complains. Most defects are forced to be "programmed" by manufacturers by as few as a hundred complaints. There are more of you writing and complaining here than the time it would take to complain where it belongs. The NHTSA is somewhat slower in their methods because they are a Government agency and kind of walk the line between consumer and manufacturer. I can go on, but you all need to go to their websites and fill in the little boxes.

Here is the plug problem. I have posted the biggest one on the head gasket/oil leak in several other posts.

From internal Ford Documents on this issue:
*what I mean about this is they know and address the problems to the commercial fleet, but leave you all hanging and paying

Lean Engine Issues (Valves/Plugs/Heads Crack)
1999-2002 MY
- Root cause is lean air/fuel mixture
- SSM 12118 (fuel pressure)
- ***Change Fuel Filters Regularly***
- TSB 00-10-03 - Reprogram PCM/Software octane adjustment
- Check mass air flow sensor (TSB 98-23-10)
- Check area between A/C condenser and radiator
- Check high and low speed cooling fan operation
- Causal factor "must" be addressed before engine replacement

Last edited by Fudbert; 01-31-2005 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Blown Plugs, damaged cylinder head