Blown Plugs, damaged cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if Ford would have these plug problems if

a) there were more threads in the hole.

b) they used a flat washer style compression gasket instead of the conical solid sealing surface.

Old 11-20-2002, 02:59 PM
Steve B;

To answer your questions: it's a 2002, 5.4 liter, no mods, and yes, they are repairing under warranty (11K miles). When he walked into dealer with spark plug in hand the mechanic said "#3 cylinder on the right side?" my friend said yup, your right!. I just got off the phone with him and it's still in the shop. Hope this helps.

fixit

Old 11-20-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by fixit
When he walked into dealer with spark plug in hand the mechanic said "#3 cylinder on the right side?" my friend said yup, your right!.

fixit
Hmmmm, perhaps as membership in the club expands, we'll have to have a spin-off club: the "#3 spark plug club".

Dues will be reasonable: somewhere between $2k to 4k per incident.

Chris

Old 11-20-2002, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's about time Ford steps up to the plate on this plug matter. As in a recall, but the only problem is, the head needs to be redesigned with double the threads in the plug hole!

Old 11-21-2002, 11:11 AM
Is this problem unique to engines with coil over plug system ???
Or is this also happening with engines equipped with plug wires.

Old 11-21-2002, 03:47 PM
Well first it was piston slap, then leaking head gaskets and now blowing plugs

That 5.4 sure doesn't seem like a very good engine

Makes you wonder about the 2004 and the 3V version

Old 11-21-2002, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by UncBob

That 5.4 sure doesn't seem like a very good engine

Its good enought to pull 4800 lbs down the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds.
While that might not be everybody's cup of tea, you do have to respect the power it can make. Have you every read some of the posts on the new GM Vortex engines, they got their share of problems also. Heck, check out the BMW M Type engines, there are blowing the crap out of them

Old 11-22-2002, 08:49 PM
Blueovalnews

Why don't most of you email blueovalnews ( http://www.blueovalnews.com/ ) with the details of your blown plug experience?

They seem to get involved when Ford has a major problem. Could help for the rest of us who haven't had the problem...yet!

Old 11-22-2002, 09:21 PM
Know about them knocking Chevy 5.3 and 6.0
Supposedly fixed with longer piston skirts and coating for the 03s even though Chevy says they are not a problem

Old 11-24-2002, 08:55 PM
I just got my Expedition back a couple of days ago. The total was $681 for the helicoil. The techs at the local dealer said they have never heard of the problem and that I'm the first one they've seen.

I did get the number of a service rep that I will be calling.

The truck seems to run just fine though. No rough idling.

Old 11-25-2002, 03:46 PM
helicoil

I too just had a helicoil put in cylinder #2 after blown plug...it cost me $490, but that included installation of a DPFE sensor as well. Truck is running great (55k miles), but I hate wondering if I am going to get where I am going every time I drive it. I asked the guy who put in the helicoil if he would keep the truck, and he said no. It is like russion roulette waited for that CE light to come back on.

I also bought new plugs for him to install all around...he said the plugs were in so tight he did not want to risk breaking one, or stripping out more threads, so he just gave them back to me.

I got this truck through an auction with 37k miles on it coming off a lease. Seems to me that these plugs have never been removed since the day they were put in (except for the one that blew out). These are factory installed and can't be removed.

I have no mods on this truck except for K&E air filter. All stock.

Old 11-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Sounds like Ford is skimping on the anti-seize compound when they install plugs at the factory.

I changed mine at 50k miles, 4.6L though. Wasn't too bad. Then again 500 miles later after Autolite platinum pro's were misfiring, switched them with some Champion truck plugs (copper core). Getting some knock and ping now. Have to check my EGR and stuff though.

There was one plug at the back, driver's side, that had me worried like it was stripped. Turns out the wrench wasn't 100% on the damn thing. Doh.

If you switch the plugs use a torque wrench to set the proper tightness on the new ones, and use anti-seize compound on the threads.

So what do you do if you never change the plugs? Throw-away motor, a new concept.

Old 11-29-2002, 06:32 AM
Angry ford TOUGH???yea right!!!!!!!!!!

Well i didnt think i would be posting about a blown spark plug again.But here i am.Yesterday im on the way to gtannys house for some turkey and pie when i here a ticking noise>So when i get to grannys house i pop the hood and notice my pcv valve is not connected so i connect it and forget it.On the drive home the ticking is still coming out from under the hood(louder than my tap).Get home and go to sleep and put my f-150 out of my mind.Wake up today in a great mood.Get ready for work and hit the road.Halfway to my carpool i hear the tick getting louder.and my 5.4 peice of crap starts to sound like a lawn mower when i go up a hill.I got the truck back home with out anymore problems.Spark plug is still in the truck but does anyone want to take a guess of what would have happened if i kept driving it??????????Right i would have blown the heil coil and spark plug into orbit.I give up on the 5.4 and ford.Im going today to ford and see what i can get for my truck with the rubber band engine.I still owe $15,000 on a truck that is worth 25 cents.i KNOW IM GONNA LOSE THIS BATTLE AND HAVE TO SeTTLE FOR A 4 CYLINDER.i ONLY MAKE $8.00 an hour so i dont have many options for a vehicle.Im not gonna have a co signer this time because my parents went bankrupt!!!!!!I had to call off work so i lose a days pay today so ill use it to clean the truck up take all my add ons off(air horn,bed liner,speakers)Why should i let ford have my stuff.I never had this many problems with my pos(peice of sh@t)cars.

Old 12-01-2002, 01:49 PM
Unhappy New member of the #3 passenger-side club

'02 Lightning, 15,000 miles, factory installed plugs, chip and 2lb. overdrive blower pulley. The #3 plug on the passenger side blew. I had Ford roadside assistance tow it in yesterday. I expect warranty coverage based on comments from my service writer and his service manager. I'll post further when I know more.

What is the current thinking/speculation on what appears to be a disproportionate amount of #3 passenger side failures?

Old 12-01-2002, 10:33 PM
Hi David,

Bummer to have to say, but welcome to the 1997-2002 F-150 Blown Plug Club.

However, thanks for sharing your account. Please file a report with the NHTSA, just so it goes on file.

Why #3? I honestly do not know. We've had absolutely ZERO help from Ford on this issue, so it's all conjecture from owners.....

Some suspect it might have something to do with condensation from the overlying heater hose dripping down into the threads, accelerating degradation of threads. Others think the amount of expansion in the middle of the aluminum head (vs @ the ends) may be greatest at this point, and the bore expands the most at this point.

All questions we have (like, "why does it happen?", "is it OK to torque to specs if I think the threads have been compromised?", "is there anything I can do to prevent the problem?", etc.) remain unanswered by Ford.

Yes, please fill us in on details of how the repair goes, and what they have to say about the odds of a repeat incident (i.e. will they offer an extended warranty for this, etc).

Chris

Last edited by feefer; 12-01-2002 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Blown Plugs, damaged cylinder head