plug wires mystery solved 4.6 mustang v.s. trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up plug wires mystery solved 4.6 mustang v.s. trucks

Hey everyone,
This has been a bit of a mystery and I've always thought both sets were compatible with each other.

Lo and behold this webpage shows us the evidence:
http://www.performancedistributors.com/5.0ignition.htm

Screamin' Demon Coil Packs
Open up your spark plug gaps to a whopping.065" when you install our Screamin' Demon Coil Packs. By producing a fatter spark, fuel is burned more efficiently and power is gained. No drop off in power as RPM's go up. Your spark plugs stay cleaner longer. The Screamin' Demon Coil Packs are easy to install, mounting in the original equipment location. They are completely epoxy filled for improved heat transfer and vibration resistant. The Screamin' Demons are too "hot" for stock plug wires.
Part #31725 $99.00 (96-98 Mustang, 97-99 4.6L Trucks)

4.6 Livewires
After bolting on our Screamin' Demon Coil Packs, you'll need a set of "LiveWires" spark plug wires to deliver the hotter spark to your plugs. LiveWires are built with a space age heat resistant sleeving to provide protection from exhaust heat. The sleeving is heat treated glass braid and is non-flammable and non-corrosive to chemicals. Approximately 1/2" in diameter, LiveWires perform great and look awesome! The 4.6 LiveWires are custom fit, so no assembly is required. Each wire is numbered on each end for the correct cylinder. LiveWires do not produce electronic interference such as radio noise and computer interference, due to the spiral wound core. 4.6 LiveWires are available in blue, black, red, purple and yellow.
Part #C9084 $125.00 (96-98 Mustang, 97-99 4.6L Trucks)
Part #C9085 $159.00 (96-98 Mustang Cobra)

So... now we all know that 96-98 Mustang V-8 4.6L spark plug wires and coil packs work on our 97-99 4.6L trucks (at least those which don't have coil-on plug systems).

I'll be shopping for some new wires better than OE garbage real soon. This means you can use Mustang MSD wires or any other brand you like for Mustangs.

Cheers!

Last edited by p_ferlow; 06-03-2002 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:25 PM
Those are some beefy looking wires. If they perform as well as they look like they should then it's worth the price. Let me know if you try them, I remember having that big discussion on them before.
Are you sure all brands of wires from a 96-98 Mustang will work on a 97-98 truck? I mean just because one brand will fit both doesn't mean all will, then again it may be so minor differences in both engines that any brand for either vehicle would work. I know the coil packs all the same for pretty much all 4.6's dating back to 92, in 2001 the 4.6 went COP. So maybe the wires are not that different, maybe slightly different lenthgs or maybe just beacuse they are different vehicles they are labled with different part#'s.

P.S. How's the exhaust system now?

Old 06-04-2002, 03:07 PM
P.S. How's the exhaust system now?

Sorry, that's next month's project. I hope my wife doesn't delay my exhaust project seeing as I need to buy a new battery now.

Old 06-04-2002, 07:47 PM
the billit aluminium wire looms are cool

Old 06-04-2002, 11:36 PM
Just tell her maintenance cost are not included into mod money,, ha ha that's kinda funny mod money- mad money. Ok, so I may be off my rocker a little tonight

Old 06-04-2002, 11:54 PM
Hey, that sounds good.

I figured out a solution to my problems. Our family business credit card will "eat" the new battery and I found a set of MSD 32229 8.5mm Mustang 4.6 wires for $129CDN from www.mopacauto.com (mopac auto supply) and their prices kick a$$ on www.lordco.com , who quoted me $181CDN and that was even their jobber (wholesale) rate. Bastards.

I think I'll be looking to Mopac Auto Supply first for all my parts needs now. Screw Lordco.

Mopac has the Optima red top battery for $219CDN. Seems the best price around these parts. Interstate Batteries, the other distributor of Optima batteries sells em for at least $30 more than Mopac so screw them too.

So... things are going according to plan... he he he.

Old 06-05-2002, 12:23 AM
hehe , anyone can be cheeper than Lordco, they are way expensive on the island here

Steve

Old 06-05-2002, 01:24 AM
Seems like Lordco has some kind of a monopoly around B.C. or something. Buggers.

I remember when they bought out one of their competitors that had stores in the lower mainland about 10 years ago.... darn brain ... can't even remember their name. Anyhow, they had a store in Abbotsford close to the #1 and one in North Vancouver where it's a Lordco now (N. Van). Anyhow before they bought those stores you could go in, get what you wanted off the shelf and go to the till and buy it. I f--ken hate how Lordco does it where you line up and wait for a redneck behind the counter to enter what you need in their ancient computer system, then go and pay for it. Usually when you're in a hurry their phones are going nuts and there's 3 people ahead of you. Pain in the a$$ if you ask me.

I'll let you know how Mopac is after I go by there prob. Thursday for that battery & wires.

Old 06-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Well... I bought the 8.5mm super-conductor MSD wire set part #32229 from www.mopacauto.com for $129 CDN.

On the box it says "96-97 Mustang 4.6, LINC, TRUCK" so I guess it fits all three!

I haven't popped them in though, doing it next weekend. I have to pickup my little compressed air tank so I can blow out the plug holes before changing plugs.

Nice looking wire set though.

Quick Reply: plug wires mystery solved 4.6 mustang v.s. trucks