Hyperchip questions,what will it do to mileage,warranty,performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hyperchip questions,what will it do to mileage,warranty,performance

I have a 4.6 v8 F150 1999 4x4 if I install a chip what will it do for additional hp ? Mileage? warranty? Pros and cons please
Thanks

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4,short box,step side,4.6l Triton v-8, A.R.E. hard cover,cab steps,SteelHorse bed rug (liner), Mobil 1 5w30 all the way!! more to come !

Old 03-12-2001, 09:47 PM
Warranty should not be an issue; at worst, drivability concerns can be addressed by removing the chip. From my perspective, the BIG downside to 'chipping has been the absolute requirement for the S-chip to have Premium fuel, at 25%+ price diff. Mike T. and company claim a comparable improvement in MPG, which I suppose is possible, but unlikely, given the natrual urge to exercise the newfound ponies (G). Given how heavily our trucks drink already (For my 98 2wd 4.6, automatic, 3.55 rear, the MPG has been hovering at 16-17 in everyday suburban use, a good figure compared to some), the prospect of $40+ single fill-up is unappealing, at best; $30 is bad enough. So, my 2 cents worth:

For: Claimed shift improvement, better throttle response, more torque (all credible, given the role of the advance curve on torque production, and role of the ECM in Automatic tranny response).

Against: Increased fuel costs, due to Premium fuel requirement, increased rear tire wear(G).

Old 03-12-2001, 10:02 PM
rangerr
look around the computer chips forum for ideas & advice.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-Airraid-Perma-cool electric fan & controller

Old 03-12-2001, 10:07 PM
If you get a chip get a Superchip, not the Hyperchip.

Talk to Mike he will take care of you

------------------
SILVER 2001 LIGHTNING
Built 02/14/01
Picked up 03/03/01
Sportmasters tonneau
Bedrug

http://members.tripod.com/donf150/Welcome/id7.html

Old 03-13-2001, 01:18 PM
rangerr91,
I have owned all three of the major chips available these days. The Hypertech was in my 94 f-150 w/ a 351. I noticed no change at all.
I installed a Jet in my current truck and noticed very little if any change.
I sold the Jet and bought a Superchip to calibrate my speedo after the gear change(see sig) and noticed a huge difference in tranny shifting and overall performance.
If you are going to get a chip do yourself a favor and get a product that works.You will have to decide for yourself if you can justify the increase in fuel costs(premium vs. regular)but atleast you know that the product you are buying is a quality product and will work as advertised. If you are not happy with it you can return it, try that with the others.
How about a flip chip?

------------------
99 F 150 4x4.ORP,S/B 4.6 4.10 gears, Gibson 3" cat back. K&N filter. Superchip

Other Toy: 1964 Falcon, 300 H.P. 306,TopLoader 4 spd. 9"Detriot Locker rear end with 3.91's

Old 03-13-2001, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi rangerr91 & all,

You've got some good responses back, especially from those who have used the other brands and prefer the Superchip, which is very common.

The Superchip tunes at all throttle positions instead of only at WOT (wide-open throttle), so it works adding power all the time, and it's also programmed for each individual vehicle's exact software revision in each vehicle's computer. This all adds up to proper & full optimization of the powertrain program, and much more power gained compared to any Jet or Hypertech brand chip.

Both Hypertech & Jet only offer 1 "generic" program that has been compromised to run on all similar vehicles, and they only add power on WOT (wide-open throttle), which is why the people who have tried the other brands and then the Superchip have either switched to, or stayed with, the Superchip.

As has been pointed out, you will need to use premium gas all the time with the Superchip. While there is the potential for better gas mileage with the Superchip, this is a merely by-product of the increased spark advance used on part-throttle in the Superchip's program, so your results will depend primarly in how the vehicle is operated, and the energy content of the fuel being used. It's very rare for the Superchip to make up for all of the cost delta between regular & premium gas, which averages about 20 cents per gallon in most places, so I wouldn't expect that. What gets reported back to us from our customers on average is about a 1.5-2.0 mpg gain, primarily on the highway. those who do a lot of heavy towing, or mostly stop-n-go city traffic driving may not see an increase in mileage. Most of our customers see an increase in fuel costs of only about $150-$200 per year, or a few bucks per week, thanks to the small improvement in gas mileage that most Superchip owners see in these F-150's. Again, if your driving conditions are extreme (like mostly towing or mostly city traffic), then that can change a bit of course.

We also offer a 2-program Superchip Flip Chip, and that can be set up with a program for regular gas on one side, and then our normal performance program requiring premium gas on the other side, so you can switch back and forth as you like. Use regular gas when you want, and then when you want maximum power, use premium gas and simply flip the attached switch to change the program you're running on. Just remember that the raw power gains are going to come only when using premium gas, though you'll still get all the other benefits in both programs, such as improved automatic transmission shifting, etc.

The Superchip is going to give you about a 10%-12% increase in horsepower. The maximum rated gains for the 4.6 F-150 are 26 horsepower and 40 lbs./ft. of torque at sea level altitude. What you should expect your vehicle to feel like from installing the Superchip, in round numbers, is about a 10%-12% increase in available power over what you're making now, whatever your altitude is.

There is no effect on your warranty, you are protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically, you can install anything you want to on your vehicle, as long as what you install does not *damage* the vehicle, your warranty remains intact, by law, and of course the Superchip does not damage your vehicle.

If you'd like to go over all of this in more detail, get pricing, etc., please feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email, our contact info is just below.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Hyperchip questions,what will it do to mileage,warranty,performance