has anyone indexed their spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking has anyone indexed their spark plugs?

what were the performance gains? smoother idle?

Old 03-01-2001, 07:47 PM
Oh man! You'd have to be really **** to do that with these trucks! I can just imagine how hard it would be, especially considering how deep the plugs sit, not to mention their upright position.

You'd need a lot more patience than most of us have to deal with the rear-most plugs.

I know people who do this with outboard engines, but the plugs are horizontal and easy to get to and see. The Tritons are completely opposite.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited 03-01-2001).]

Old 03-01-2001, 08:07 PM
y2kharleyf150,

What Dennis said!! Man, you've got way too much time on your hands. Or maybe you ain't popped the hood on your baby yet?

Old 03-01-2001, 08:26 PM
Wink

i was curious.....sounded like an intersting idea so that's why i asked. there are a lot of fanatics on this site.....i know they're out there.........well i guess i'll go polish the lugnuts again.

Old 03-02-2001, 12:13 AM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
i'm new to sparkies... whats "indexed their spark plugs"?

Old 03-02-2001, 01:25 AM
Not that I'm going to do it, but washers are used to shim out the plug so that the open end of the electrode faces towards... what? I don't remember. Intake valve? Biggest open area of the combustion chamber?? What??

Old 03-02-2001, 01:38 AM
I've changed out my plugs with no problem. Just thought I dropped an extension into the cylinder once because I put it in the wrong hole. The wider part kept it from going in thank goodness. It it helps let me know. I might try doing it one weekend when I don't have anything I need or want to do.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4. Automatic, Reg. cab, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start(installed myself), Custom 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, electronic shift on the fly. Going to add headers.

Old 03-02-2001, 03:22 AM
I usually index mine. This last plug change I screwed up and got the wrong washers.

Indexing only takes a little extra time. Of course my truck is a '95 5.0 and the plugs are easier to get to. If you get the good washers they come in 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 turn thicknesses. Mark the electrode arm side, screw it in, add the washers and tighten it up. Sometimes you get lucky and the plug doesn't even need a washer. If you can change the plugs, you can index them.

The difference isn't huge. Tests have shown that on most engines it's worth a couple horsepower. The only big difference I have noticed is the ability to use a slightly larger gap when indexed.

Try this link as an alternative to indexing. I've never tried it, but others on the site have. You might find some input if you do a search. www.performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/sparkplugs.html

[This message has been edited by signmaster (edited 03-02-2001).]

Old 03-02-2001, 07:22 AM
My spark plugs are self indexing... they do whatever position they want.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications:
Optima Red Top Battery
Split Fire Spark Plugs
K&N FIPK
Gibson Supertruck Exhaust System
Stepshield door sill protectors
Performance Accesories 3" Body Lift
Performance Accesories Lift Lips by Mountain Enterprises
Superlift 3" lift blocks
Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks
Daystar Front Anti-sway Bar Polyurethane Bushings
Heckethorn Steering Stabilizer
35x12.5R16.5LT BFG All Terrain KO's
16.5x9.75 American Eagle 589's.
McGard Premium Wheel Locks

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 03-02-2001, 02:25 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by signmaster:
I usually index mine. This last plug change I screwed up and got the wrong washers.

Indexing only takes a little extra time. Of course my truck is a '95 5.0 and the plugs are easier to get to. If you get the good washers they come in 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 turn thicknesses. Mark the electrode arm side, screw it in, add the washers and tighten it up. Sometimes you get lucky and the plug doesn't even need a washer. If you can change the plugs, you can index them.

The difference isn't huge. Tests have shown that on most engines it's worth a couple horsepower. The only big difference I have noticed is the ability to use a slightly larger gap when indexed.

&lt;snip&gt;

[This message has been edited by signmaster (edited 03-02-2001).]
</font>
Well, the big problem is dealing with the washers with the vertical plug positions in the Triton engine. You'd have to drop them down the plug cavity, then make sure they're seated before you put the plugs in. Then, you have to make sure you can retrieve them when you remove the plugs. It's enough of a pain to just change the blasted plugs to begin with.

Old 03-02-2001, 03:26 PM
The Bosch Plat plus 4 plugs do not need to be indexed. I put them in a 90 chev. w/350 about 9 months ago and I really can't tell that it made any difference, may have but if so it is so slight it isn't noticable.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Quick Reply: has anyone indexed their spark plugs?