Cold air cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cold air cover

It is starting to get cold here in Wisconsin and I was wondering if I should put a piece of cardboard to cover only a portion of my grill. Everyone tells me to leave it alone but dam, that has to be COLD up front when the temp is only in the single digits and I'm going 70 mph down the highway. As long as I don't cover too much of the radiator it should help right? Faster warm ups and easier on the engine overall I would think.

Let me know what you think.

Old 11-15-2000, 08:21 PM
Chuck, I've read lately that modern vehicles don't need a winter front. It can get awful cold where I live and I have been very happy with how quickly it warms up and have had no problems with maintaining operating temp. at highway speed. As far as a cover being easier on the engine, I don't have an answer for that one.

Old 11-15-2000, 10:00 PM
Talking

Chuck,

Lund makes a product called the cold front that is a complete cover for the grill area. However, mainly the diesels benenfit from such a product more than gasoline engines. I bought the Lund screen front. It keeps bugs out and it cuts the air flow down somewhat, but not much. Hey nice to see another 'sconsinite on the board don't ya know!

------------------
99' F-150 XLT 4.6L SC 4X4 ORP LS

- Ariad FIPK
- Superchip
- ASP Underdrive Pulleys
- Accel Coil Packs
- FMS 9MM Plug Wires
- Rapidflow 3" single CatBack exhaust
- Fluidyne Trany cooler
- A.R.E. Hard Tonue Cover
- Duraliner bed liner
- W Bucky Badger Hitch Cover
- Mobil1 5W-30

Old 11-15-2000, 11:54 PM
Unless you are noting a very long engine warm up or a lack of heat, I wouldn't worry about covering the grill up. Just make sure you give it a bit of a chance to warm up before doing 70 down the freeway on those cold days! I understand the diesels see a much greater benefit from this practice than what we'll ever see in a gasser. Around here, even at 10 or 20 below, I don't have a problem maintaining operating temps on long freeway runs. Just make sure it warms up before you getgoing though! Good luck!

------------------
1997 F150 XLT, Flareside , Moonlight Blue, 4x2, SC, Auto, 4.6L, 3:08, Cargo Cover by Century, Penda bed liner, Blue Oval reciever hitch plug, Driver Design bug deflector, Monroe Reflex Shocks, 235/70/16 Firestone Wilderness AT's, sliding rear window, captain's chairs, Valvoline Durablend Oil, Purolator Pure One Oil Filter, and 112,000 miles and counting!

Old 11-16-2000, 09:36 AM
It doesn't take that long to get heat from my truck. I let my truck warm up for about 3-5 minutes before I get going in the morning. And then, I can only drive 30 mph until I get onto the freeway. I drive 3 miles at 30, and 17 miles at 65-70. I think with the info you guys have given me, I'll leave my truck alone.
Don't fix what isn't broken.

Quick Reply: Cold air cover