Ok Time To Supercharge My 93 F-150, Need Advice And Answers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2000, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ok Time To Supercharge My 93 F-150, Need Advice And Answers!

Ok I have put a good amount of mods on my 93 F-150 and it's still pretty weak. So I want to gain some big power in order to defend the Ford name against all these new GM products on the road these days.

I am going to be having my gear ratio changed to probably a 3.73 and then I am buying a supercharger. I need somthing pretty reliable because I depend on the truck to take me to work and back about 5 days a week. I do have a 2nd car but it's not very reliable (69 Porsche) so i drive my truck about everywhere I go.

So far I have only looked at a few avaliable superchargers for my truck and so far the PowerDyne kit looks to be the easiest to install and most reliable seeing as it never needs rebuilding.

I don't want to make the wrong investment if a supercharger isn't going to make that much difference because I am going to be taking out a loan to buy it.

So I have a few questions I would apriciate if you guys could help me out with.

1. Has anyone ever ridden in or driven a Supercharged 302 or 351 type truck like mine? If so was there a big difference in performance?

2. I have the speed density system and really don't have the money to switch over to MAF. So will speed density work just fine with a Supercharger or do I HAVE to switch over to MAF?

3. I have a "normal program" Superchip so I guess I will have to have a new one programmed to work with the S/C right?

4. Overall what do you think of the Powerdyne unit? Anything better out there for less than $2500?

Thanks guys!

Old 05-24-2000, 09:53 PM
Lightbulb

Forgot my sig!

------------------
1993 Ford F-150
Kustom Kreations Package
2WD, 5.0 (302), AOD, 3.55

Superchip, Dual 2.25" Exhaust,K&N FIPK, TransGO Shift Kit, 4-Tokico Shocks (from Steeda) & Pirelli Scorpion Zeros!

Eclipse CD Player, Eclipse 8-CD Changer, Eclipse Amp, Clarion front speakers, 8" Boston Acoustics Subwoofer

Future Mods: JBA Headers!

Old 05-24-2000, 10:45 PM
BmW: Hopefully this will give you some more insight.

1. Has anyone ever ridden in or driven a Supercharged 302 or 351 type truck like mine? If so was there a big difference in performance?

A: I have driven a 92 Mustang GT with a 5.0 and a blower, 5-speed. Really low gears (don't know what they were). That mustang hauled A$$. Puts the truck 5.0 to shame. It had Speed density, I do know of that. Haven't ever seen a blower on a F-150 like ours, okay maybe in a magazine. I would hope for 4 grand you it would add 100hp.

2. I have the speed density system and really don't have the money to switch over to MAF. So will speed density work just fine with a Supercharger or do I HAVE to switch over to MAF?

A: I really can't answer this one. I would assume a truck requires MA. Another member here, has a 1991 F-150 and he intended to replace the 302 with a 351 and put a blower on it. The blower in which he was looking at required Speed Density.

3. I have a "normal program" Superchip so I guess I will have to have a new one programmed to work with the S/C right?

A: Again, I would assume yes, but hopefully Mike from Superchips will help you out.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2000, 07:04 AM
Thumbs up

Yea I have been looking at the Powerdyne kit. It looks like it would be the most maintnence free unit and also looks pretty easy to install. I think the last time I checked it was like $2400 but that was a few months ago.

I'm hoping to gain maybe 70-80HP and a good amount of torque that should really increase my performance.

Do you guys know of any S/Cs better than the Powerdyne for $2500 or less?

What do you guys think of the Powerdyne?

Thanks

Old 05-25-2000, 09:10 AM
BMW325:
I have a Powerdyne supercharger on my truck. For the money you cant go wrong with a Powerdyne. Sure there are many more supercharger makers out there but spending $3500-4000 on a supercharger did not make since to me. So far I have had no problems with it.

Old 05-25-2000, 11:04 AM
A speed density PCM (EEC IV and earlier) does not work well with engine modifications. As a general rule, drivability symptoms will occur. To keep it simple, the PCM can no longer do the math and get the right answer.

Contact Mike Troyer regarding the Superchip. He MAY have provisions to remap a speed/density system.

You will need to reburn you chip if it is coded for a stock engine, but I cannot say you will be able to use the Superchip instead of a MAF.

I am interested in hearing more on this.

------------------
'98 4.6 5-speed
BRING US YOUR TUNDRA!

Where we started.
After a facelift.
Latest MOD!
trixters-playground@excite.com

F-150online Photo Album
crash@f150fanatic.com

MAGNACHARGER
ALLEN

Old 05-25-2000, 06:08 PM
Banned
Talking

Gorp is right, for the money a PD is tough to beat. As long is you don't mess with the cam, speed density will be just fine. Do yourself a favor and use a bypass valve if the kit doesn't come with one. Superchips should be able to modify your tranny parameters to suit your needs. The only other thing they might do is yank some timing and play with the idle. The FMU and inline pump will take care of fuel. I use Mike Wesleys Autologic chips, and I have no complaints. I think his software is a little more thorough, but for common mods and tuning issues, Superchips is AOK.

My 94 Lightning began life w/ 194 horse at the wheels. Running the stock speed density and an Autologic chip (by Johnson Motorsports) I was able to muster over 400 horse at the wheels. This was w/ 47# injectors (no FMU), 14#'s of intercooled boost, and stock long block. Speed density CAN handle it! I did have a lot of time and patience with this project and the tuning was done via email (not on site). I do have a chassis dyno and A/F equipment at my disposal, so that made it easier.

Get the PD, save the money from mass air and get some Bassani exhaust components.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Styleside
5.4,4x4,Reg.Cab, 120" WB, White, Sport Pkg., Bell Tech lowering kit, Gen II Lightning Wheels, B'stone 285 60 18 tires

dwh@dynojet.com

Old 05-25-2000, 07:09 PM
DynoDan,

In your experience, are there any other mods to stay away from with the speed/density?

[This message has been edited by crash1 (edited 05-25-2000).]

Old 05-27-2000, 12:25 AM
Banned
Talking

Crash1, I would say that as long as you don't change the cam, you'll be OK. When vacuum signals get changed, speed density will not adapt well at all. I would be confident to make a speed density vehicle run with every mod known to man, except a cam that varied a bit from the stock piece. SD is very crude on Fords, but it works and it was cheap to produce. I never really understood why they needed to batch fire (4 injectors open when only 1 cylinder needs fuel), but it can support serious power. Look at all the aftermarket DFI, everyone I've seen is a speed density system.

Now how about a teaser as to when a group purchase will be available on the Magnuson 5.4 kit. I saw the price on their web site the other day, $3895? Seems a bit high, but I NEED to get 300-330 at the wheels. Addicted!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Styleside
5.4,4x4,Reg.Cab, 120" WB, White, Sport Pkg., Bell Tech lowering kit, Gen II Lightning Wheels, B'stone 285 60 18 tires

dwh@dynojet.com

Quick Reply: Ok Time To Supercharge My 93 F-150, Need Advice And Answers!