"Poweraid"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-1999, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

$100+ for a peice of orange plastic? Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me! I'm looking forward to the results as well! Does anyone know if you will get these results without installing the Airaid system as well? I'd be interested in seeing the improvement using the stock intake system with just a K&N filter.

------------------
Paul... :-)
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, Sliding Rear Window,
White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner
More to come

Old 12-07-1999, 08:01 PM
I've had the Poweraid installed for a day now, I can report the following at this time:
The Poweraid is a machined aluminum block, not plastic as some believe. The quality of materails and workmanship are very good. The package lists dyno results for a 1997 Chevy 350 TBI motor with a claimed gain of 14HP for that installation. The Poweraid installation is straight forward and simple all hardware including Ford gaskets are included. (TAKE NOTE) The Poweraid will cause a whistle sound to occur when changes to throttle position are made. This occurs only during the opening of the throttle and stops when a steady state throttle position is maintained. This whistle does not occur at idle,or when the thottle is moved to a more towards the closed position i.e. decelerating. I've contacted Evergreen Performance and they report that the whistle sound is normal during operation due to the helix core of the spacer spinning the air, although the instructions make no mention of this sound. To be sure I also tested the installation for vaccum leaks by spraying throtle body cleaner around the spacer block and its gaskets with the motor running no changes in idle speed occured. " The Poweraid does whistle while it works " . Off idle throttle response and power does appear to be improved with the Poweraid installed, but I'll need more time with it to really form an opinion. I will conduct a MPG check after a few more days of driving. Has anyone else installed this item yet? I would like to compair notes.

------------------
Bob P.
99 F-150 120" w/b
5.4L w/ASP underdrive pulleys, Superchip, Airaid system,Poweraid TB spacer,and Borla Turbo muffler.

[This message has been edited by bob.pellegrino (edited 12-07-1999).]

Old 12-07-1999, 09:50 PM
Sounds like that tornado thing that was tested and didn't improve fuel mileage or power. 14 horse power from something that spins the intake air??????

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Pioneer DEH P4000, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031

Old 12-09-1999, 01:59 PM
Any more tests/issues with the PowerAid?

------------------
~
1999 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
Off Road Package
Tow Package
5.4L Automatic
Supercab
Electric 4x4 switch
Full bench interior
Factory running boards
Mods : superchip, gibson
swept-back exhaust, k&n
FIPK. Bug deflector.
Use : Mobil1 5w30 and
k&n oil filter.

Old 12-09-1999, 02:07 PM
Darin,

True, That tornado is junk. Swirling air doesnt add nothin.

Old 12-10-1999, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe if it whistles loud enough you will scare those chevy guys into thinking you have a supercharger under the hood and you will win by default.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, 4.6, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 12-12-1999, 05:27 PM
Can you give us anidea of about how loud this whistling sound is?. How would it sound to someone standing onthe side of the road listening to you bag it off the line?

Old 12-12-1999, 07:04 PM
Darin

Just a guess, but power is not created from "spinning air" but more from changing the hight of the tb. Sort of the same concept as v-stacks, the higher you go the more low end you get.

------------------
2000 F150 SC XLT
4-sp auto
255/70r-16
3.55 LS
Heavy Duty electric
Heavy Duty cooling
Trailer Towing Group
Keyless Entry
Soft Cover
Captains Chairs
wedg blue& silver two tone
Fog Lights
Bed Liner
Fender Flairs
Cab Steps
10 disc CD changer

(Just 892 more payments and that sucker is all mine)

Old 12-12-1999, 07:16 PM
Well I can't tell you how loud it is from the outside of the truck, as I'm the only one who drives it . Howevr, the whistle sound is not really an issue off idle anyway. The sound shows up mostly when deviating slightly from a steady state cruising speed, while opening the throttle plate in small increments. If you open the throttle wide just off idle you won't get the whistle sound, and if you do it's masked by the sound of the tires squealing anyway . The sound is akin to having a slight amount of belt slippage, but where as a slipping belt gets worse if you make a rapid change in engine speed this is just the opposite. I hope this helps.

------------------
Bob P.
99 F-150 XLT 120" w/b
5.4L w/ASP underdrive pulleys, Superchip, Airaid system,Poweraid TB spacer,Borla Turbo muffler, and 2" Drop shackles.

[This message has been edited by bob.pellegrino (edited 12-12-1999).]

Old 12-13-1999, 12:21 AM
Smile

A report after six days of driving with the Poweraid installed. Don't ask me to explain it, but this little red whistling block of aluminum does seem to work. I can only provide you with my anecdotal seat of the pants stories about the Poweraid, no proof or hard data to offer you. I have not yet done a milage comparison, because I've sent my Superchip back for custom transimission reprogramming. I will say this in defense of the Poweraid, if off the line wheel spin can be used as an indication of product effectivness. Then the Poweraid has improved my low end throttle response. I have demonstrated this for "myself" by conducting before and after off the line wheel spin comparisions, with tempetures and humidity conditions fairly consistant. So take it for what its worth, I don't feel bad about speeding the 100 bucks on this part. I could live without the whistle though.

------------------
Bob P.
99 F-150 XLT 120" w/b
5.4L w/ASP underdrive pulleys, Superchip, Airaid system,Poweraid TB spacer,Borla Turbo muffler, and 2" Drop shackles.

[This message has been edited by bob.pellegrino (edited 12-12-1999).]

Old 12-20-1999, 09:28 PM
Cool

Just so that somebody doesn't start a thread entitled "Hey Andthensometoo, is it in yet?" I am letting you all know that although I got the Power-aid a week or two ago, I do not have a garage with: 1) heat or 2) room for my Truck! I will install as soon as I get 1) a warm day (yeah right!) or 2) a garage to use. I'll keep ya posted.

------------------
"Moonlight Blue" 98 F150 SC XLT 2WD 4.6, 3.55 LS Tow Pkg. SUPERCHIP, K&N Airbox mod. w/ "Cool" intake, Mobil One Oil, Bosch +4's. Lund Fastback, Lighted visor, Runninng Boards, Crome Taillight covers, Polished Steel Fenderwell Moldings, Smoked Bug and Rain guards, Shelf-it, Carpet dash cover, Red Wings license plate in front, Red Wings license plate frame in back, Little Detroit Viper hanging from mirror, Oh yeah, and one "Blacked-out" grill.
Gonna get my Bed rails back on, Finally!
Couldn't find the right Polished steel design, so once I modify the powercoated ones I just bought, I will paint them.
Q: who wants my chrome ones? Price:cost of shipping, or gas and maybe lunch if you live in S/E MI.

"Rocks don't move unless pushed, and neither do chevys!"

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/daytona/843/

Old 12-20-1999, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Andtehnsometoo, if you park your truck in the garage and open the hood, the heat from the engine will heat the garage.
As for not enough room, if your garage has as much stuff in it as the cab of your truck I can understand why your truck won't fit.
HEHEHE

Old 12-21-1999, 04:32 PM
Cool

this thing sounds pretty interesting!does anyone want to give a definate GO/NO GO on it..

------------------
pacific green 97 f150 4.6l..reg cab flareside ,ROUSH suspention ,snug lid,carpeted bed, painted tailight accents,4*4 grill &bumper,k&n,chip,ram air kit,accel super stock wires,platinum plus4 plugs,blue halogen bulbs,killer stereo, speed-glo dash,carbon fiber gauge accent,..."#6 stcker!!!!"

Old 12-21-1999, 06:30 PM
Wink

OK any one near me have a garage I can play in?

Old 12-21-1999, 07:49 PM
where are you and should i buy this damn thing!!!!

------------------
pacific green 97 f150 4.6l..reg cab flareside ,ROUSH suspention ,snug lid,carpeted bed, painted tailight accents,4*4 grill &bumper,k&n,chip,ram air kit,valvoline synthetic,accel super stock wires,platinum plus4 plugs,flow master muff,blue halogen bulbs,killer stereo, speed-glo dash,carbon fiber gauge accent,..."#6 sticker!!!!"

Quick Reply: "Poweraid"