White smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy White smoke

Every couple of days I will back my truck out of the garage for various reasons. the truck will run for about 1 1/2 minutes and then I turn it off, piddle around in the garage or whatever. A few hours later, I'll pull it back in to the garage and it runs for about a minute.

The next day when I start the truck up, I get a large white cloud from the exhaust. This will continue for five or so minutes. the white smoke is very thick and is quite embarassing since everyone in the neighborhood seems to be outside when it happens.

Does anyone else have this "problem"?
Is it really a problem?

Any info would be appreciated!

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT Supercab
Black factory steps
Flareside Sport Package
Oxford White
Full tint
Bug Shield
CD player
17" wheels, K&N
Ford Soft Tonneau Cover
Gibson Super Truck
"Did it myself" Undercoating
Herculiner
"Freak on a Leash"

If you've ever purchased online, please visit my new site and post your experience: Online purchasing experiences good and bad.

Old 03-08-2000, 11:44 PM
Spyder, does the smoke disappear like steam?

If so you may be getting some moisture in your exhaust system.

Old 03-09-2000, 12:02 AM
Angry

Thanks, but unfortunately it is not steam and doesn't disappear. It looks like I'm spraying for mosquitos!

Any other ideas?

I have 10,000 miles on my truck and have had it serviced by Ford for everything!

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT Supercab
Black factory steps
Flareside Sport Package
Oxford White
Full tint
Bug Shield
CD player
17" wheels, K&N
Ford Soft Tonneau Cover
Gibson Super Truck
"Did it myself" Undercoating
Herculiner
"Freak on a Leash"

If you've ever purchased online, please visit my new site and post your experience: Online purchasing experiences good and bad.

Old 03-09-2000, 01:27 PM
Generaly when a vehicle is blowing smoke it is becaues you are burning oil. This normally comes from bad pistons or rings but having only 10,000 on your truck somewhat excludes that. This post really won't help you much but it is something to think about. Good luck with your problem and try to pinpoint when it does it.

Bones

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, 4X2, Ext. Cab, S/B, 4.6L, 3.55 L/S, Tow Package, Premium Sound CD Player.

Future Mods: NONE, I'm broke.

Old 03-09-2000, 02:11 PM
What does the big cloud smell like? Normal exhaust smell, or oil smoke, or ? Oil smoke is usually tinged with blue. Straight white is water vapor, billowing white that smells bad (not oil smell) can be antifreeze.
By chance, is your truck headed downhill where you park? Condensation will tend to build up more when downhill, don't remember whether there are weep holes on front of muffler or not.

Old 03-09-2000, 07:16 PM
Please check to see if your antifreeze is disappearing. Water/antifreeze being burned will give the symptom you provided. I once installed a Ford (390??) head gasket backwards and when it lit up, the garage and the corner of the street went white. Obviously, that's not what happened to you, but sucking just a little water does make quite a cloud.

Old 03-09-2000, 07:18 PM
Arrow

Thanks for all the info- I hadn't thought about checking the antifreeze level. I'll check that tonight and see what happens next. I don't see any blue in the smoke, just pure white, I can't describe the odor except to say that it is a very strong exhaust type smell.

Quick Reply: White smoke